Stihl 046

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have this 046 that I've been working on for some time now and may have a problem. The people that worked on it before me decided it needed a new coil. When that didn't fix it they wanted a new flywheel. When that didn't fix it they gave it to me to fix. I immediately gave it a compression test and noticed it was 80 psi so I ordered a new piston cylinder kit which I just installed. I tried to start it and it pulled the starter rope out of my hand several times and never did actually start. I tried drop-starting it, same thing. I noticed the saw had a new starter assembly so I guess they've had the kick-back problem before. Wonder what to try next?

In my experience the dreaded rope snap back finger ripper off move has been timing related. Is it the right flywheel and ignition? Is the key sheared? Does in pull freely with the plug out? How about with the plug in but the boot off removing the ignition source?

I agree with Whiskers. You may be looking at 200 psi compression with the new top end. Can you measure the squish? Did you include a gasket or just use gasket sealer? Two cylinder gaskets may still be available:
1128 029 2304 (thin) 0.3 mm
1128 029 2306 (thick) 0.8 mm

The thicker gasket should lower your compression.

I used the gasket that was on it but put sealer on one side to hold it while I installed the cylinder. I made sure to get the right part numbers on the coil and flywheel although I'm suspicious that the coil may not have the retard feature it's supposed to have. I recently installed the flywheel and the key was fine at that time. I haven't checked the compression just yet because it's not broken in but maybe that will be my next step. I may also put the elasto-start rope on it since it doesn't have one..Wondering also if it might be a good idea to have someone hold the compression release down while I'm starting it...right now it pops back up just as it hits..

My 046 decomp valve pops right up also, even when no explosions seems to have occurred. It's not an easy pull, to say the least. My Stihl dealer said that the thicker gasket was offered after owners complained of the jerk when starting. You may have to go to that. It's hard to find burly loggers around who also love to drop start 064's as well

My 046 decomp valve pops right up also, even when no explosions seems to have occurred. It's not an easy pull, to say the least. My Stihl dealer said that the thicker gasket was offered after owners complained of the jerk when starting. You may have to go to that. It's hard to find burly loggers around who also love to drop start 064's as well
In my limited experience, you have to pull them like you mean it,or it’ll do what you described.

I tried to start it once again this morning and all I got was a bloody knuckle on my right hand. I also tried to check the compression and couldn't pull it hard enough to get a good reading. It did pull over rather easily with the spark plug out. As you might have guessed I'm not a burly logger and these are not my favorite saws...

Try a husky 281. Pull it until it's right past tdc and give a good pull. I still have the scar trying to start my 281.

If it never ran after new top end, you may have to flush out any assembly lube you may have used.

I tried to start it once again this morning and all I got was a bloody knuckle on my right hand. I also tried to check the compression and couldn't pull it hard enough to get a good reading. It did pull over rather easily with the spark plug out. As you might have guessed I'm not a burly logger and these are not my favorite saws...
I hate to say this, but what you need is likely the thicker gasket I mentioned in post #3. Now, of course if you can get it started with what you have on board, it might loosen up a little. It's your choice. Here is my 046 Mag after I restored it:
Stihl046 Magnum Restored.JPG
Does yours look something like this?

I hate to say this, but what you need is likely the thicker gasket I mentioned in post #3. Now, of course if you can get it started with what you have on board, it might loosen up a little. It's your choice. Here is my 046 Mag after I restored it:
View attachment 803349
Does yours look something like this?
It's not mine but yes it looks like that one except it has flippy caps. It even has the Magnum sticker on it.. I kinda hate to tear it down again but will if I have to. Guess I could stack another gasket on top of that one.
I hate to say it but I doubt compression is the problem, my best guess is that the coil I bought is missing the retard function because it seems to fire earlier than it should. If I had time to mess with it more I'd probably check it with my timing light and see how early it's firing..

It's not mine but yes it looks like that one except it has flippy caps. It even has the Magnum sticker on it..
Flippy caps were never offered on an 046 Mag, So, that tank housing is a knockoff and I am not sure how a flippy cap ever made it to an 046 bar oil tank. That bar oil cap might leak like a sieve. Can you supply a Pic of this beast?

If it never ran after new top end, you may have to flush out any assembly lube you may have used.
All I put on it was a little 2 cycle oil on the rings when I installed the piston plus a little grease on the wrist pin bearing. I primed it on the first startup try and probably washed some of the oil off the rings..

Flippy caps were never offered on an 046 Mag, So, that tank housing is a knockoff and I am not sure how a flippy cap ever made it to an 046 bar oil tank. That bar oil cap might leak like a sieve. Can you supply a Pic of this beast?
The saw is probably an MS460, I just said 046 for no real reason except they're basically the same saw. Like my 039, I call it a 390 occasionally..I haven't taken any pics of any of the customer saws and only a few of mine. If I remember it I may take the camera out there and try to get a pic of it..

The saw is probably an MS460, I just said 046 for no real reason except they're basically the same saw. Like my 039, I call it a 390 occasionally..
OK, that means it's an MS460. I don't recall the 046 ever having flippy caps. Top shroud plastic label must be really messed up so bad so that you cannot read the label or it's ripped off. That happens.

OK, that means it's an MS460. I don't recall the 046 ever having flippy caps. Top shroud plastic label must be really messed up so bad so that you cannot read the label or it's ripped off. That happens.
This saw doesn't have the top cover, I have one ordered for it but it's taking it's time getting here, and it won't have a label on it either, just a place for one...

Back