Stihl 07/07S prototype

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steffen

Collect old Stihls. Contra, 07, 08...
Reaction score
I know a lot of you guys have the Stihl 07 or 07S saw in your collections, and i just want to shere this one with you all... And hopefully learn a bit more about thise great saws.

I got a very interesting saw, its a prototype of the Stihl 07, or a testsaw it might be called.
If its true what the previous owner said to me, this saw was given to a huntersfriend to Nicolaus Stihl for testing before the 07 came on the marked back in 1961. It was given to him because he made a lot of firewood and they needed this saw to be testet.
The previous owner got it from him, so i might be the 3. owner of this saw.

This is my first 07, so might need a bit help from you guys to tell me what is different on this saw than the normal 07.
As i can see, the starter is different and there is no Stihl logos anywere on this saw. The carburatorcover is also different, there is not the normal Stil 07 sign on it. and it seems to be sandcast as it is a bit rough.

And look at that id plate... it comes from a Contra, but there is stampped 1107 and the serial 114069. I have never seen a serial that low before.

I have contactet Stihl about it, and im waiting for them to might confirm this story and maby they know a bit more about the saw.

A little video of it:

IMG_1171 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1172 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1172 (Medium).JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1173 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1173 (Medium).JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1174 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1174 (Medium).JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1175 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1175 (Medium).JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1176 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1176 (Medium).JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1177 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1177 (Medium).JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1178 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1178 (Medium).JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 91
If you strike out on info from the factory, try and get ahold of Wayne Sutton at Stihl Northwest. He has a huge collection of Stihl saws and is an encyclopedia of information.

If you strike out on info from the factory, try and get ahold of Wayne Sutton at Stihl Northwest. He has a huge collection of Stihl saws and is an encyclopedia of information.

Its actually Wayne i have contacted, he is on the case ;-)
I was in the US a month ago, and stopped by his museum, its an unbelievable collection he has made!!

Cool saw, even cooler if it is truly a prototype! :clap:

Seems to still run nicely.

Im quite shure its a real testsaw, there are so many things on this saw thats not the same as on the production 07. Many of the the parts also seems to be sandcast and sandet down to get a better finnish.
Especially the removeble cover at the back of the saw, this dont have the Stihl and 07 name on it. It also looks to be sandcastet. Also the startercover looks very odd.

I got a mail today from a collector that also had a testasw...

My teori that mine was green and not had any white one it seems to be right, his is also green!
But his is an even more early testsaw it seems, look at the handle it comes from a Contra.
The rear handle and the rear cover must not had been developed yet, the startercover and upper cover is in one pice like on the 08.
He says this saw dont have any serial, and comes from a farmer that lived near the Stihl factory.

My saw is possible a developed edition of his, but still not 100% as the production 07.

I must say a whole new world of Stihl prototypes is opening up!!

Attachments

• DSC00403 (Medium).jpg
    DSC00403 (Medium).jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC00404 (Medium).jpg
    DSC00404 (Medium).jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC00405 (Medium).jpg
    DSC00405 (Medium).jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 94
Im hopeing for some help on a 07S, the piston is broken in one of mine.

So im in need of a new or used piston for the 07/07S.
I know they are not that often for sale, but hopeing someone can help.

Maybe another piston can be used. The 07/07S is 50mm and the wristpin is 14mm

I made a video showing some of the differens i have found between the prototype and the production model.
I hope you can understand my english:innocent:

I just found an early 07 for the 07 collection. The collection is now complete with the prototype, the 07 and the 07S.
The mission can now begin to list all the changes between the saws...

Here are first step, a lot of pictures of the saws.

First the prototype vs the 07

By the way, the prototype is more heavy. They are both empty of oil and fuel.
Prototype - 9,5 kg
07 - 8,7kg

IMG_1289 (Medium).JPG IMG_1290 (Medium).JPG IMG_1291 (Medium).JPG IMG_1292 (Medium).JPG IMG_1293 (Medium).JPG IMG_1294 (Medium).JPG IMG_1295 (Medium).JPG IMG_1296 (Medium).JPG IMG_1297 (Medium).JPG IMG_1298 (Medium).JPGu

I think Stihl also used a 07/07s powerhead on a brush saw, I had one complete running and gave it to a member here.
But there is another up against a shed next to my cabin, I will take a picture, I can probably have it,, but for what.
It is very heavy duty and you must use a harness its so heavy .
I posted picture here but think they are long gone.
BBB
Edit found a pic on AS, not mine and it may be an 08/08s powerhead.
P1151118.jpg

I think Stihl also used a 07/07s powerhead on a brush saw, I had one complete running and gave it to a member here.
But there is another up against a shed next to my cabin, I will take a picture, I can probably have it,, but for what.
It is very heavy duty and you must use a harness its so heavy .
I posted picture here but think they are long gone.
BBB
Edit found a pic on AS, not mine and it may be an 08/08s powerhead.
View attachment 463430

08, 08S or 510, not any 07.

Latest posts

Back