Stihl MS 362 R CM question,,

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maulhead

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Kinda of a question for you guys. Been thinking about or tossing the idea around about selling my 362 R CM for the last few days in my head. Thinking about a 441 R CM. There is nothing wrong with the 362, plenty of power. I bought it new in January I only use a saw for firewood. It is on it 9th tank of gas right now. So according to some it not even broke in yet. It is really starting to wake up, saw is stock no mods!! Has a 20" bar and chain.

What do you guys think it a fair price for it on the used market? Just a ball park. Retail in January (off the top of my head) with out digging out the receipt was $789. The R model has the 3/4 warp handle w/ extra AV spring, dual felling spikes, roller chain catcher, larger sprocket cover w/ flap over the non R model 362's.

Just kind of tossing the idea around about selling this one and getting a 441 R CM. This is a great all around saw. I bought it with the intent I wood only have one saw for all my uses. Now I'm thinking I want 40cc saw and a 70cc saw.

Great all around firewood saw, I love it a lot!! It is a little dirty b/c I used it today and didn't get a chance yet to clean it up. Thought I would put a few pics of it up. Thoughts on what it is worth??

DSCN0040.JPG

DSCN0039.JPG

DSCN0041.JPG

I agree with Clint, and my 362 is going south to TN this week. The 441 is nice, but heavier. A ported 362 should be a sweet all around saw.

I ran a ported 562 at the GTG and was very impressed.

For limbing, and for dropping and bucking trees 12" and under, the 362 is my favorite saw (for softer hardwoods, make that 16").

I think you will miss it if you sell it. You can always get a smaller and larger saw over time, but it is nice to have a "backup" saw that can do it all.

Both my 044s run very strong, but I end up using and liking my 362 almost every time out.

You may also want to try square file chain, can increase cut speed by 10-15%. That is a difference you will notice.

I just love MS361 and grab it 8 times out of 10, but lots of guys swear by the 40-50cc and 70cc plan. There's no right answer. I suggest running whatever puts the biggest smile on your face and keep as many saws around as you can possibly afford. Not one more or one less.

Once a saw leaves the dealer they typically lose a lot of value. Though not an R or a CM check this listing: http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/brand-new-ms362.260528/page-2 Ron

I understand what you mean they loose some value when they leave the dealer. It is just a question of how much? Last Dec. and this Jan. when I was looking for a new saw, everyone here said buy a pro saw they hold their value. Or look for a low use, used saw so I spent a few weeks looking for a nice clean used one. Every pro 50cc or 60cc Stihl saw I found with say 2-10 tanks ran through it was only $50-100 max less then I could a buy a new for at the dealer. So I just opted to buy a brand new one.

Like this listing,,, I have my eye on buying a 241C right now. I can get a brand new on at the dealer for $550. I'm not knocking the seller or buyer and maybe just me but I would rather go buy a new one, then a used one for $520,,

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...c-like-new-520-w-extra-loop-of-ps-new.253854/

That saw you linked is not a m tronic saw.

I agree with Clint, and my 362 is going south to TN this week. The 441 is nice, but heavier. A ported 362 should be a sweet all around saw.

I ran a ported 562 at the GTG and was very impressed.

For limbing, and for dropping and bucking trees 12" and under, the 362 is my favorite saw (for softer hardwoods, make that 16").

I think you will miss it if you sell it. You can always get a smaller and larger saw over time, but it is nice to have a "backup" saw that can do it all.

Both my 044s run very strong, but I end up using and liking my 362 almost every time out.

You may also want to try square file chain, can increase cut speed by 10-15%. That is a difference you will notice.

I really like my 362 a LOT, it a HUGE upgrade over the saw I replaced it with!! (not even going to tell you what my last saw was) I have no complaints with the 362 at all.

The 441 is a little heavier, if I remember right 1-1/2 pounds over the 362. Not bragging but I dont think I would noticed the difference in weight. Try hanging drywall 8-10 hours a day 5-6 days a week, I dont think I would noticed the difference in weight over the 362 vs 441. Just thought I would enjoy the extra power, for some of the bigger wood.

I would probably really miss it if I sell it!! I have really enjoyed cutting with the 362. Most of the wood I bring home is 12-20" although I do get a bit of 22-30" stuff so that is why I was thinking about a 441, if I dont get in hurry the 362 will power through the bigger stuff. Everything in the back round of my pics was cut with the 362.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Thanks for all the other reply's. I should probably just hang on to the 362 as I really like it. And stop looking on this site at the 441's and YouTube. I also probably never should have listened to my buddy a few weeks ago who just bought a 441, big mistake looking and it and running it!!

Back in Jan. when I bought this 362, really wanted a 441 and a 241, 40 70 plan. But I didn't want to wrap up $1,600 in two saws, so I went with the one saw plan 362. Now I find myself itching for them again. Should not be looking on here ;) Although I could really see getting some good use out of the 241

One other question, is this discoloring on the muffler of my 362 normal? I ran the 10th tank though the saw today, but the muffler platting is really turning color. I just wonder if that is normal??

DSCN0042.JPG ...

I think the discoloration is normal, but I vented mine on the opposite side to reduce the heat a bit. The big enemy of a 2 cycle is heat, and letting it breath better will reduce that.

If I were you I would keep my eyes open for a 044/440 in good condition. Add a dual port muff cover and HD-2 filter and put a 24" bar on it and it will provide a nice compliment to your 362 when you want to cut some bigger wood. They often go for 1/2 the price of a new 441.

I have been cutting a lot of trees this year in the 30" +/- range, and the 24" bar is nice to use in those situations. Just add a side cut on the far side after you make your notch, and you are ready to go with your back cut. When bucking, I go over the top and cut the far side first, then just go as normal with the dogs in the wood. Works well for me. I'm not a fan of real long bars as they are more difficult to pull from the cut when you need to.

This is a crude dual port you can do with just a drill and a piece of sheet metal. I made one 3/8" hole and 2 1/4" holes.

Attachments

• April2014 018.jpg
    April2014 018.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 101
  • April2014 019.jpg
    April2014 019.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 99
  • April2014 020.jpg
    April2014 020.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for all the other reply's. I should probably just hang on to the 362 as I really like it. And stop looking on this site at the 441's and YouTube. I also probably never should have listened to my buddy a few weeks ago who just bought a 441, big mistake looking and it and running it!!

Back in Jan. when I bought this 362, really wanted a 441 and a 241, 40 70 plan. But I didn't want to wrap up $1,600 in two saws, so I went with the one saw plan 362. Now I find myself itching for them again. Should not be looking on here ;) Although I could really see getting some good use out of the 241

One other question, is this discoloring on the muffler of my 362 normal? I ran the 10th tank though the saw today, but the muffler platting is really turning color. I just wonder if that is normal??

View attachment 361481 ...

My 261 did the same thing and its basically the same muffler only smaller , its not a problem , i painted mine with some high temp and no problems so far , if you buy a 441 get a 28 light bar of your choice over a 24..its a matter of 7 drive links and 3 or 4 cutters and you have the benefit of reach and it will also be lighter and balance better than a 24

I understand what you mean they loose some value when they leave the dealer. It is just a question of how much? Last Dec. and this Jan. when I was looking for a new saw, everyone here said buy a pro saw they hold their value. Or look for a low use, used saw so I spent a few weeks looking for a nice clean used one. Every pro 50cc or 60cc Stihl saw I found with say 2-10 tanks ran through it was only $50-100 max less then I could a buy a new for at the dealer. So I just opted to buy a brand new one.

Like this listing,,, I have my eye on buying a 241C right now. I can get a brand new on at the dealer for $550. I'm not knocking the seller or buyer and maybe just me but I would rather go buy a new one, then a used one for $520,,

http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...c-like-new-520-w-extra-loop-of-ps-new.253854/

That saw you linked is not a m tronic saw.

I know the linked saw is not an mtronic, I was just using it as an example of the depreciation. Other than "vintage" saws, I only buy saws to use and then only saws that I believe are low hour and in good mechanical shape. That said I look generally for at least $250 off a $700 saw assuming it is super clean; if a saw is not super clean then I will pay between 1/3 to 1/2 of new price. Maybe just me. Many pay less. Unless I was just trying to help a Seller out, I would buy new before I would buy a used saw to save $50 to $100. Ron

I was looking to buy the ms 362 r cm new and all dealers said 799.00 before tax. Should I try to wheel and deal like free chain,oil, or something? Also does the wrap handle fit in a normal orange stihl chainsaw case? Thanks

I was looking to buy the ms 362 r cm new and all dealers said 799.00 before tax. Should I try to wheel and deal like free chain,oil, or something? Also does the wrap handle fit in a normal orange stihl chainsaw case? Thanks
See what their cash price is. I usually get 7-8% off list with cash

We use our MS362C-Q for handheld milling, using a 18" bar and PMX chain. Bar and chain are easily accessible from Logosol.

But for the lion share of use, it's our lighter and more agile Jonsered 50 cc saws that rules.

The 35cc-40cc class of saws are favorites if even lighter and nimbler saws are required, eg. for wider areal walks with the saw.

Welll here she is and the cleanest she'll ever be. Its an awesome saw went from a poulan 5020av to this and WOW what a difference. This thing chews threw everything cut up 7 good size trees so far and this made quick work of it.

f65a3b2336582d768124d705a18c045d.jpg
2096b11eabf01f38fea920ee621980a2.jpg
d02130dbfea3a5aa2c199d97cb643ca4.jpg
6f9966c15f5917fbe756ce504fe8631d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Welll here she is and the cleanest she'll ever be. Its an awesome saw went from a poulan 5020av to this and WOW what a difference. This thing chews threw everything cut up 7 good size trees so far and this made quick work of it.

f65a3b2336582d768124d705a18c045d.jpg
2096b11eabf01f38fea920ee621980a2.jpg
d02130dbfea3a5aa2c199d97cb643ca4.jpg
6f9966c15f5917fbe756ce504fe8631d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You have a great saw there. How did they treat you on the price?

Latest posts

Back