Stihl ms 461r or husky 372, need a new saw!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

How many have you had..who did them?
Personally haven’t owned one. I ran bretts that I believe was a MMWS then a stock one at a gtg. So only one ported. Granted we were in frozen hardwood as well. Shoot me a pm with some ideas on who gets a lot out of them. If you have one maybe we can trade some saws :popcorn2:

Personally haven’t owned one. I ran bretts that I believe was a MMWS then a stock one at a gtg. So only one ported. Granted we were in frozen hardwood as well. Shoot me a pm with some ideas on who gets a lot out of them. If you have one maybe we can trade some saws :popcorn2:

I'm in the mood to trade my hobby saws..im keepin' my workers though..

That's the vibe I get, maybe not an outward excited, but yes.
If you knew Cole you'd know he has saws from all "the guys who know how to port them well", and that he's very non partial per brand, true enthusiast in my eyes, and a great guy.
I guess that depends on what your definition of alive is, I like to live life and to the full :).

Lol...i don't really have an enthusiast attitude or a brand bias so I see it a little different.

Guys on chainsaw forums make up about 5% of guys that port worksaws...

A guy about 2 miles from me ported a 441 that blew my mind..that takes a lot these days.

Ill send you my number mang..call me.

Lol...i don't really have an enthusiast attitude or a brand bias so I see it a little different.

Guys on chainsaw forums make up about 5% of guys that port worksaws...

A guy about 2 miles from me ported a 441 that blew my mind..that takes a lot these days.
I won't argue with that except the actual percentage may be a little off similar to the numbers some porters will tell you about how their saws have increased in power lol.
Theres a lot of members here who do port work and do great work but don't porting for the public too.

Have got a stihl ms461 which is about a month old now, done a bit of cutting with it over the weekends on some big ( 50" + ) trees, it's a weapon, i run an outerwears pre filter for the Aussie hardwood here, not sure about maxflows yet, plans are to keep it stock on the power side, but might put a high output oiler on in the future, run a 25" es light bar and semi chisel chain, perfect setup for the big Victoria old growth trees, bit of a stihl fan, and can get stihl parts in any small country town here, very few husky dealers here does porting put more load on engine internals like bearing, conrod, head bolts etc?

IDK what you want out of a 461 but the ones a just love are done from a guy named Diek. He's an X West Coast Faller that put some time in with Walker's saw shop. He's been porting for 15 yrs now. He has lots of saws out on the coast these days.
The 461's scream. They are a work saw on edge. That's one smooth saw.
It's a 2 stroke and that's exactly what it does. Instant response and drops off so fast and the chain stops in a split second. I keep looking down because a think it stalled and it kind of makes a blurp sound and starts to idle again. I've never ran a saw with characteristics like that. If I get one then it will be one of his. A lot the those guys don't advertise. Him & and Simon (if Simon still ports?)are independent.
But there is 4 saw shop putting out a great product and they all just fly under the shop banner. Nobody knows their names. They work from a bench with a ball & chain and then go to the cellar in the evening. Then one day they will escape and the word on the street will be they stole bread crumbs and were run off.
You see you don't get a first name until you've done a 12 - 15 stretch.

IDK what you want out of a 461 but the ones a just love are done from a guy named Diek. He's an X West Coast Faller that put some time in with Walker's saw shop. He's been porting for 15 yrs now. He has lots of saws out on the coast these days.
The 461's scream. They are a work saw on edge. That's one smooth saw.
It's a 2 stroke and that's exactly what it does. Instant response and drops off so fast and the chain stops in a split second. I keep looking down because a think it stalled and it kind of makes a blurp sound and starts to idle again. I've never ran a saw with characteristics like that. If I get one then it will be one of his. A lot the those guys don't advertise. Him & and Simon (if Simon still ports?)are independent.
But there is 4 saw shop porting out a great product and they all just fly under the shop banner. Nobody knows their names. They work from a bench with a ball & chain and then go to the cellar in the evening. Then one day they will escape and the word on the street will be they stole bread crumbs and were run off.
You see you don't get a first name until you've done a 12 - 15 stretch.
What did you get into Jamie. I like to run a nice ported 461, but to say 461 and smooth in the same line of a paragraph o_O.
Oh it's that big cottonwood out there :cheers:.
Hope all is well my friend.

What did you get into Jamie. I like to run a nice ported 461, but to say 461 and smooth in the same line of a paragraph o_O.
Oh it's that big cottonwood out there :cheers:.
Hope all is well my friend.

I was sniffing tire glue in a brown bag. Why it wasn't obvious was it?
NoOOO! I've been doing it for a long time and there's nothing wrong with me wrong with me wrong with me.
No I'm sober bud. I get the whole site too myself every weekend..lol
Hope all is well with you to Brett.
I Only tried his saws with the anti vibration falling wrap. Flat out and off the trigger it doesn't even move and you can't feel any vibration.
Square chain too.

I was sniffing tire glue in a brown bag. Why it wasn't obvious was it?
NoOOO! I've been doing it for a long time and there's nothing wrong with me wrong with me wrong with me.
No I'm sober bud. I get the whole site to myself every weekend..lol
Hope all is well with you to Brett.
I Only tried his saws with the anti vibration falling wrap. Flat out and off the trigger it doesn't even move and you can't feel any vibration.
Square chain too.
Good to hear, doing well here.
Got a nice cozy fire going as it was a bit chilly in the house, and it's supposed to be 32/0 here in the morning.
When you get one send it my way, I'd like to try that :yes:.
Sure would be nice if I got my 461r back :nofunny:.

Sure would be nice to get that back.
Yes I would like you to try one.
You must know thechainsawguy (Dave) he live in same town with Diek. I'm not so sure many would go back up for sale though. I would get my own. Guy would probably make a good return if he had a pile of them for when they go NLA on the coast. Down to 32f tonight. It's getting there.

It sure would.
I'd like too, maybe next spring.
Yes, the xpw in the pictures I posted was one he did, it's an xtorq conversion saw.
Now would be the time to stock up, they will all be going on sale in a minute as the hoards of beta guys run to the newest best thing. I'm good, they can pay the cost for the development.
It's starting to get chilly, but we have a long way to go. Hoping this is finally a real winter, I have a nice pile of firewood to sell, as well as a lot of rounds and a bunch of logs if need be :envy:.

I really liked my 461, they are a joy to run. Then I picked up a ported 461r and it ruined me. Absolutely amazing machine. Wish the 462 was available stateside, that is looking like one heck of a saw.

The only downside is the 461r is heavy, she’s not the thinnest girl at the party. In fact the 661 is only 1lb heavier. So at what point do you add 1lb and get better AV, a stronger smoother saw and the Mtronic feature. Just throwing that out there.

I have no personal experience with the Husky, good luck whatever you decide.

Good to hear, doing well here.
Got a nice cozy fire going as it was a bit chilly in the house, and it's supposed to be 32/0 here in the morning.
When you get one send it my way, I'd like to try that :yes:.
Sure would be nice if I got my 461r back :nofunny:.

Is that the saw you paid for but never got sent? Any update on that Brett?

Terry Landrum at Wicked Work Saw is a Husky dealer and his woods ported saws are listed on the website. If you're going the Husky route, buy one directly from him you save the 8.75% Ca sales tax and a brand new bad @$$ 372XP out of box.

I have both of them , both nice tools but I recon the 372 will be going long after the 461 has expired .
IMO the 372 is the better saw .

The OP said he had a 1300 dollar budget, and more power is in the cards...why not just buy a 390? More "reliable" power than a modded 70cc anything. Reliability and support from a dealer means something for the guy who's counting on a saw to earn a living. OR a 365 plus a back up saw like a 550...But..if its as much about GTG speed measuring sticks and cool factor its tough to beat MM or Brad...

Back