Stihl MS250 Oiling question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesTX

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Stihl MS 250. When I test the chain oiler by pointing thechain toward something and revving the engine, I don't get the spray that I used to. The chain itself seems to be oiled however.

The owners manual says to clean the oil guides but doesn't say how or where they are.

Can someone help me out and tell me how to do it?

Thanks.
James

Remove the holding plate or outside cover, closely look at your bar, besides the mounting studs there is a hole (observe closely) remove the bar and next to the sprocket there is a hole where the oil comes out of, supplying the B&C.

Carefully clean off that area with a soft brush. Your pump will only supply oil when the saw is running, (it stops when the saw is idling) be careful and run the saw head slowly to see the oil spitting out. If your oil reservoir is full and nothing is being pump out, it is plug or something else is wrong.

James, I've got a 025 that needs to have

the oiler checked. I've printed the instructions from the Stihl repair disk (a real handy thing to have especially since they now sell for around $8.00 on eBayware). I can fax them tomorrow if you need them, or try ( :rolleyes: ) to post a file here. I'd try now, but the hard copy & disk are at home.

Chris J.

Have you cleaned the grooves in the bar out? there could be so much crap in there that oil flow is reduced significantly.

JamesTX said:
Oldsaw -

What do you use to clean the bar? WD-40 or something else?

Run the tip of a knife blade, or raker filing gauge, or a nail with the point filed down, anything that fits in the groove easily that will not get stuck or jammed in there and that will pull or push any dirt and crap out.

If you have an air compressor you can also blow the grooves out after you cleaned them. spraying WD-40 in the grooves after if you are putting the saw away is fine also.

James--Glad that you received the fax.

I doubled checked my disk this morning & I'm glad that I did-it lists instructions for the 025 & the MS250. I printed & faxed the MS250 instructions to be safe; could be some minor or major differences in the saws. I don't know as I'm no MechTech. Let us know how it works out. I'm especially interested as I haven't yet worked my 025. Weather is so nice today I might just leave work a little early & have a look at it.

Chris J.

Latest posts

Back