Stihl says " Look Before You Pump Gasoline for Outdoor Power Equipment"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen anything that says it's illegal. These guys speaking weren't lawyers they were from the manufacturers. I wouldn't run that crap in anything I have anyway...
Same for me!!!!!!! Several online parts suppliers have notes saying Do Not use Ethanol gasoline in OPE. Eats carbs, fuel lines etc.
Shep

Been having all kinds of fuel problems as of late. Had non-ethanol for about 3 months. Ran like crap in my saw. So I got regular pump gas last week, cause I figured I'll be burning this up quick. Ran it in the 064 yesterday, and after 5 minutes of cutting, stalled after letting off the gas. Had to choke it to get it to fire. Same issue with my solo with the non-ethanol. Picked up a can of Tru-Fuel, and the Solo ran fine. Just didn't have the higher rpm's at wfo. NEVER had this much of a gas problem 'til this year. Going about 20 minutes from me and pick up some Turbo Blue. More expensive, but cheaper than Tru-Fuel.

I have never seen pumps marked where I live. How do you tell how much is in the gas without testing it?

Hi Sawtroll, what's it like in Norway for ethanol fuel? Just started seeing it in the UK before I left but that was two years ago and it was just here and there

I think what the president of Stihl meant when he said "its is illegal to use >10% Ethanol fuel" was that its "illegal" (bad choice of words) in that using it, would void your warranty with them, and other power equipment manufactures.

I use premium with ethanol and stihl ultra mix in all my saws, and other 2 cycle equip, never had a problem, also use
premium in grinder, mowers etc, never a fuel related problem, no choice down here, no place to buy gas that does
not have ethanol added, unless u buy the premixed stuff and that would just not be economical for the amount
of gas i use...

Bob.....:givebeer:

I use premium with ethanol and stihl ultra mix in all my saws, and other 2 cycle equip, never had a problem, also use
premium in grinder, mowers etc, never a fuel related problem, no choice down here, no place to buy gas that does
not have ethanol added, unless u buy the premixed stuff and that would just not be economical for the amount
of gas i use...

Bob.....:givebeer:

YES,YES, YES!!!! Another person that hasn't jumped on the hysteria bandwagon.

If your saw isn't running right on E10, you have problems no due to the fuel formulation. I use E10 exclusively and have never had a problem with it. I keep my fuel in a sealed plastic container, don't keep the fuel longer than a couple of months (that would be a rariety), and use Ultra. Before I switched to Ultra I used Stabil in my mix. For the past 5-7yrs, OPE rubbers have been manufactured with ethanol in mind and the new stuff is pretty much resistant to ethanol. If you are using older saws, then ethanol will degrade the rubber quicker.

YES,YES, YES!!!! Another person that hasn't jumped on the hysteria bandwagon.

If your saw isn't running right on E10, you have problems no due to the fuel formulation. I use E10 exclusively and have never had a problem with it. I keep my fuel in a sealed plastic container, don't keep the fuel longer than a couple of months (that would be a rariety), and use Ultra. Before I switched to Ultra I used Stabil in my mix. For the past 5-7yrs, OPE rubbers have been manufactured with ethanol in mind and the new stuff is pretty much resistant to ethanol. If you are using older saws, then ethanol will degrade the rubber quicker.

Same Here.

I think prohibited by law does, in fact, mean illegal. I have recently found some e-free around here, but since I did use some 15% ethanol in a weedeater a few years ago, I am going to head down to the police station and clear my name, don't need any posters of me at the post office again, LOL

It is illegal to use anything higher than e-10 in any outdoor power equipment and any automobile made prior to 2001. In road vehicles it has to do with the amount of damage it causes to older pollution controlled systems. The computers can not compensate for the fuel and the engines will detect a lean condition by way of the O2 sensors in turn the computer will in crease fuel and make the vehicle run rich. This plugs up the converters and leads to more pollution production. IN our small engines it causes and elongated burn time in the combustion chamber, leading to higher exhaust heat and engine failure. Hear is a like to the epa web site that give a little more on the issue. http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/additive/e15/e15-faq.htm

I run E-85 in everything I own. If the gubberment says its better it must be cause they wouldnt stear me wrong

Latest posts

Back