Talk me out of a CS-400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in. I’d definitely buy one but I don’t need it. I’ve got a CS450 and a 330EVL.
If I needed a 40cc saw the CS400 would be the one. I would tune it but leave the muffler nice and quiet.
The muffler mod is not that much louder. My is gutted.

I put my hands on the CS-400, CS-4510, and a CS-490 today. The 4510 felt heavier than the other two and was priced between them. I dont think I want the 4510 unless it has some magic the other two don't have. I really didnt really notice a weight difference between the 400 and 490, though the specs show the 490 to be a 1/2 lb heavier. They all had 18" bars so that didnt factor into anything other than an ounce or three of balance. They felt both felt good. I've got more to think about while I wait for the Husky parts.

I put my hands on the CS-400, CS-4510, and a CS-490 today. The 4510 felt heavier than the other two and was priced between them. I dont think I want the 4510 unless it has some magic the other two don't have. I really didnt really notice a weight difference between the 400 and 490, though the specs show the 490 to be a 1/2 lb heavier. They all had 18" bars so that didnt factor into anything other than an ounce or three of balance. They felt both felt good. I've got more to think about while I wait for the Husky parts.
On s good balance scale full of fuel and oil a CS400 is 13# even , a CS490 is 14/ 3/4 #. cant remember a CS 450 but I think the same as the CS490 if not a little more. Steve

My cs400 is my go to saw. Tune it properly before you run it and do a muffler mod down the road if you want. If I need anything bigger I go for my stihl 361, Poulan 3700, McCulloch 10-10, or McCulloch 7-10

Well, fate made my decision for me. I moved my cows yesterday. This morning about 7:00 I got a call that my bull was standing in the road. I was cutting up a car (extrication training). I ran home and got him and his girls back in and over to another pasture. A 4 ft dia red oak fell on the fence last week and I didnt notice it. The big old tree wanted a big saw. I went to the local co-op and got the CS-490. It ain't a big saw, but it's considerably bigger than what I've got.
When I got into the first limb it didnt feel much stronger than the little Husky 235 when it occasionally ran well. By the end of the first tank of fuel I could already feel it getting stronger. After reading that it takes a while for the 490 to break in, I feel like the saw will be plenty strong for my needs. I will leave it stock for a month or two since warranty issues tend to crop up early. Once its broken in, I will open up the muffler and retune. When I wear out the chain, I'll probably look into doing a 3/8 conversion. 20200516_134616.jpg

Someone might scoff at my local CO-OP purchase instead of a local small engine shop. The one place that has Echo didnt have anything bigger than the CS-400 in stock and I couldn't wait for him to order the 490. The tree is off the fence row, the fence is repaired, and the cows are happy to get back on the pasture. I'll finish cutting up and moving the old tree as time permits. I wish I could give the log to someone, but there is no decent access for a skidder and I doubt anyone would stop for a single log after all the storms we've had the last couple months. Thanks for all the advice. It was very helpful, even though I ended up not getting the 400.

Congratulations on your new purchase!!! Do yourself a favor and turn the high speed needle counterclockwise to richen it up until you can take the limiter caps off and tune better. A lot of complaints that they’re lean from the factory and burn up. Then the dealer just blames it on bad gas and will not honor the warranty.

CS-370's and 400's are EXCELLENT saws despite being a "clam-shell" design. I don't know anyone who owns one that doesn't love it as a smaller limbing/firewood saw.

The CS-490's is "weak" for the cc's but more of a "professional" design with inboard clutch, removable P/C, etc.

I've considered a CS-490 with a 16" bar in .325" and may pick one up at some point and do just that with it. I've ran a few with the 20" bar they show up with and they don't have enough ars to effectively run that much bar, even after a muffler mod and throwing some fuel at them once the limiter caps were removed.......Cliff

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many failures from being too lean came from folks that think if 50:1 is good, 30 or 40:1 is better. More oil is less fuel without a retune.

cs400 has a design flaw that my dealer wrote a letter to echo agent, they shrugged him off and came back about 10 years later to ask his opinion on a fix for it lol. Anyway he did find a solution, i remember vaguely the bottom part clamshell motor bolts that hold it on the chassis are always backing out and it can wallow out or ruin the threads and render it useless. If the bolts back out even abit you'll have ignition issues right away and maybe even more i cant remember. The bolt holes has some bush i think that will wear out the plastics and ruining the case, he adds few washers or shims to hold it back. Otherwise the motor will be jumping in the chassis, and that fix is for minor wear. If theres too much wear than its junk

Otherwise they're pretty good saws lol

Sent from my INE-LX2r using Tapatalk
Pure bs, never had that problem and never heard of it anywhere. Steve

Congratulations on your new Echo CS490 !
I am a CS400 owner, like to use It mostly for small easy jobs, it starts very easy and it’s very light. For harder work-bigger jobs I simply prefer a bigger saw. I also own a Husqvarna 562XP and a 61, all 3 saws were bought brandnew and are serving me very well. And yes I have always ran all my chainsaws with 50-1 synthetic oil just like the manufacturers recommend.

Back