The rat rod of chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want an ugly Home Depot Makita saw, I could probably sell you one, but the cost of shipping it overseas would defeat the purpose of getting a cheaper ugly saw in the first place.

Didn't somebody have a thread on here of taking a craftsman and put a 038 mag cylinder on it?

Sent from the international space station
Thank just saying if you wanna a sleeper saw that would be one!

Sent from the international space station

One of my favorite threads. I have read it several times. Maybe I can do that when I grow up.

Here's a couple of pictures of the 029 'sleeper'. Once the crappy bar cover comes off someone could notice the NK bar, but most won't pick it, they will already have made their assessment from the overall appearance of the saw.

Underneath the covers is a modified C3M carb with different jetting and metering spring (it has twice the fuel flow in the low speed circuit). The ignition has been advanced and has an adjustable ignition coil. I upgraded the oiler to the later piston rod to double the amount of oil to the NK bar with the 9-pin. I even modded the starter with a thicker rope to make it a tad easier to start. I've got a few other ideas to make it a better saw and to look even crappier.

When I first got the NK bar on it I had a chance to run it near to my mate's stock 372, out of the corner of my eye it looked like they were close in cutting speed. I may have had a small advantage, but after I dialled in the carburetion and timing, it would easily beat him. I'll wait until I have the porting right and then challenge him to a race. There's another bloke in town with a 460 that I'll have to sneak up on.

P9170146.JPG P9170144.JPG

Latest posts

Back