The Skidder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that winch is missing a guard that goes over the fluid lines. also looks like its been leaking at the swivel by those rust streaks. still a cheap skidder, cat n I can prolly walk ya thro any winch probs if ya buy it.

View attachment 304406View attachment 304407
like this. this is a late a early b s8 with the 358 ih diesel and funk power shift, gearmatic 119. it has been a money maker save for the winch, it eats bands.

who knows. the fella said it was an S8, will stop by on the way to pike fish in the morning. Thanks for all the help. Is there a handy way to tell what tranny might be in it to help define this gem's age? I will look it over a little more carefull in the morning. the tranny shift is on the left side at bottom of seat and the 2wd/4wd shifter is on the left side of the dash. throttle and brake is all thats on the floor. And it's the same size as the S8 i have been leasing. Only been around a couple of these. one in the early 90's, the one I lease and this one i posted. If i acquire it I am sure i will be askin' for guidance. I am a decent basic repair common sense kinda mech. but the true know how ya'll have is something i can learn from. thought i was a decent saw mech., too. But this Forum is humbling as well as giving and teaching. thanks to it's members, I am greatfull.:cheers:

If you get it , between me and slayer we can help get that winch sorted.

Thanks jrcat- I didn't mean to leave you out of the thankin'. Was tryin' to fig. out how to reply to both of your comments in the same post like the rest of you do but i ain't to savvy on a computer. Learnin' though, like every thing else; it's the skool a hard knocks for me. Slow and steady by jerks. :cheers:

My break even load hasn't sprouted yet. We were running 45-55 loads a day the first 2 weeks in July and we need maybe 5 on a good day. Still cutting last years logs in July!! I should take some pictures, 5-6, 3 and 4 log loads a day. Some big second growth redwood. Not like it used to be when we'd get 2-3 1 log loads a day and anything over 7 logs was a bunch of poles.

That's anice load of logs! how many pieces? 17-20 -maybe ? Is the private stuff the reason you aren't runnin' chains?:cheers:

You mean tire chains? or choker chains?

Tire chains are ex-spensive, choker chains are also expensive... and lame... :msp_wink:

So far I haven't needed tire chains, good solid ground here, and I stay out of the muck.

You mean tire chains? or choker chains?

Tire chains are ex-spensive, choker chains are also expensive... and lame... :msp_wink:

So far I haven't needed tire chains, good solid ground here, and I stay out of the muck.

FYI- I have already defended my position on chain chokers- the CHA- in any thing that has to do w/ chokers stinks(reminds me of Chinese made stuff) that is unless it is from runnin' U.S.A "Bethlehem steel" cable. and makin' Cha CHing from a worthy investment. Nopr-it was about iron on the tires. I am glad you have hard ground- wouldn't get away w/ that here and make any $- weight in the ties can be bad in spotts here, also. It's either up an d down steep or flat and 'why do I have this set-up like thisi' type a thing. But any way that was a nice load NorthMan.!!!:rock::rockn:

Back