Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D'oh, you're right Matt, I forgot about the chain.........

If you keep calling it a 'saw' without the 'chain' prefix my poor old head just doesn't picture it properly and I go all to pieces......

Have you MM'd the 550 yet Matt?

Not yet Rudy and not sure if I will. First thing I have to sort out is why the bit*h is hard to start when it's hot. There are currently a few threads going in regard to this.
I know everyone says it's a worthwhile mod though so will see what happens. At the moment I'm more than happy with it's performance, when it starts...

Not yet Rudy and not sure if I will. First thing I have to sort out is why the bit*h is hard to start when it's hot. There are currently a few threads going in regard to this.
I know everyone says it's a worthwhile mod though so will see what happens. At the moment I'm more than happy with it's performance, when it starts...

I read somewhere that you can get something like 20% improvement on the 550 with a MM which is great for such a simple mod.

Hopefully you get that starting sorted out and then I might buy one too someday :rolleyes2: but I have to shift some 346's before that happens...

I read somewhere that you can get something like 20% improvement on the 550 with a MM which is great for such a simple mod.

Hopefully you get that starting sorted out and then I might buy one too someday :rolleyes2: but I have to shift some 346's before that happens...

20% gain is a frightening thought mate. I'm not joking when I say this thing has crazy grunt for a stock saw and all through the rev range too. The other good thing is it's throttle response. For a stock, out of the box saw it reminds me of a 200T which says something.

I've been stumped all day!
480491_3896024017893_101020654_n.jpg

Back again. Did a bit more cutting on the weekend.
Didn't drop too many but did have a few heavy leaners that caused a number of problems. I also threw a chain in a plunging bore cut which caused a few issues. Interestingly I've heard of a few people that don't believe you need to install the rivets in bar noses as the chain holds the nose in. I'd like to know how they intend to get the nose out of a cut if they throw or break a chain as the nose will most certainly stay in there.
Anyway, there were a few larger trees in this lot but the wind was coming from the right direction which helped a lot.
The cheaper alloy wedges I have simply aren't up to the task of hardwoods and heavy hitting. Check out the air bubbles in the alloy!!!

20130224084607.jpg

I threw one chain on the 390XP as mentioned above and as per normal the rim sprocket chewed a few drivelinks off...

20130224090746.jpg

Because the bar and chain was stuck in the cut I had to remove the powerhead and finish the backcut with the 7900. This was a heavy leaner so therefore I was plunging the middle then cutting the holding wood at the back to avoid a potential barber chair.

20130224090604.jpg

This was the largest tree I felled for the day. I was giving some Oregon square chisel semi skip a run on the 32" bar. It cut OK however the non skip equivalent on a 24" bar with 8 pin rim cut like lightning in comparison. I was actually quite disappointed in how beaten up this chain was out of the box. The cutting edges had copped a fair few dings. You can see how bad the edges are even on the photos taken on my phone. Still cut well though despite this damage...

20130224091920.jpg

20130224094150.jpg

20130224094625.jpg

This tree caused a few problems. It had a heavy lean back over the orchard so I tried to knock it over with neighbouring trees while leaving a solid lump of hingewood. All 3 attempts glanced off the side so in the end I had to fall it with the lean down the access track. Not what I wanted to do...

20130224105918.jpg

20130224110028.jpg

Last edited:
lol

It looks like some advance cutting technique were the is no back cut

It looks like two very large face cuts back to back

No old son it is simply camera trickery :) The facecut on this same tree was in this photo...

20130224094150.jpg

Also this is a video I took of me missing my last opportunity to bowl the heavy leaner over. I should have aimed a bit further to the right but thought I'd hook it on the way past and didn't want to go too far to the right and lay it over the track. Sadly I ended up having to fall it down the track anyway :(

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M7F8XUohoAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No old son it is simply camera trickery :) The facecut on this same tree was in this photo...

20130224094150.jpg

Also this is a video I took of me missing my last opportunity to bowl the heavy leaner over. I should have aimed a bit further to the right but thought I'd hook it on the way past and didn't want to go too far to the right and lay it over the track. Sadly I ended up having to fall it down the track anyway :(

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M7F8XUohoAk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

which vid glasses are they matt there better than the cheapy ones i got

Met a bloke one time that prized Bulloak for Banjo fret boards, nice stuff the heart wood and hard!

Yeah in dry grown conditions without irrigation this stuff is like cutting steel. Unfortunately these have been fed a fair bit of water and fertiliser over the years so not really good for anything, even firewood. They have grown too fast.

which vid glasses are they matt there better than the cheapy ones i got

Heh heh. Don't tell OH&S but I was actually holding my phone in my left hand while belting wedges in with my right hand :)
I have been thinking of getting some video glasses though.

Heh heh. Don't tell OH&S but I was actually holding my phone in my left hand while belting wedges in with my right hand :)
I have been thinking of getting some video glasses though.

they ain't all they are cracked up to be FOV is to narow because we

look with our eyes and not our face the vid glasses are allways looking

in the wrong place

Back