Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know a very nice hairdresser in SA who also does hair removal, just in case you want to explore your options Matt...

I actually know a chick who used to be the chief waxer at a large business in Adelaide.
I've heard some stories best left untold. Like that 73 year old grandma and mother of 7 who came in for a full brazilian...

I actually know a chick who used to be the chief waxer at a large business in Adelaide.
I've heard some stories best left untold. Like that 73 year old grandma and mother of 7 who came in for a full brazilian...

No doubt about it, being a waxer can be a brutal job.. :monkey:

Just realised that it has been nearly 3 months since I last posted something here. Thought I'd better pull my finger out!
Well actually things have been pretty quiet from a tree point of view.
Anyway a guy contacted me who has a fair bit of river frontage and also has some pretty large dead Redgums that he wanted cut up and slabbed after hearing I have a mill. I think he has his mind set on a big Redgum table. I'll also be keeping a fair few for myself.
Cracked the 3120 out on a pretty sizeable log and for some reason I got my sizing completely out of whack. I checked these a few weeks ago from a distance when driving past in my ute and actually thought they were, ahem, about 3 foot round. It was considerably less than the actual size.
When I carried my 7900 with 32" bar over to the standing Redgum it actually threw me off for a second as I didn't realise it was so bloody big.
Anyway, got stuck into it and it fell over in the direction of the face cut so that's always a positive. It had a fair lean so was only going to go one way. It was also a very solid tree and there will be a fair few good slabs come out of this one - basically every Redgum I've seen of this size has had a hollow centre from termites and/or rot. Even some of the main branches are easily large enough to slab. I also had to do a runner after this tree hit the deck as I got swamped by bees. Luckily I pulled a 100m time getting back to the ute similar to Usain Bolt and didn't get hit. All I'll say is I am very lucky to have not had the snot stung out of me as I had a swarm around my head and they swamped the ute when I jumped back inside. One got in with me but was quickly despatched with a gloved hand. I had to leave the 7900 sitting on the stump and the property owner collected it for me last night. It's probably already on eBay...
Here be some videos :) I'll add some pictures later as either Photobucket or my internet connection playing up.

3120 with 44" bar...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XFgbom4qllw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7900 and 32" bar...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qLQ2GiStid0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice one Matt,two of my pet hates Redgums and bees.:frown:

Mate these bees came out of nowhere. Tree hit the deck and I was walking around it for about a minute then BANG. I'd like to say I cracked the 100m in about 10 flat but probably only reached a top speed of about 8kph :) Lucky I didn't blow a knee out actually...

what is this a husky man using stihl suspenders ???
great job mate :freaked-out:

Hah hah. I have to be honest here but Stihl certainly make the best accessories - I also don't know any good Husky dealers outside of Mount Gambier and Tassie. Our two local guys are a joke and hardly even have a saw on the shelf anymore. They're too busy selling Yamaha motorbikes and boats. When they do have a saw on the shelf it's lucky to be over 40cc and certainly not a pro saw.
Also I'm not necessarily a Husky man as all of my favourite small saws are Stihl. I just like the Huskys over about 50cc (as well as the Dolmar 7900's). I've owned 660's and they had plenty of nuts but they had crap balance when falling compared to the Husky 390XP's and used nearly twice the fuel. The 660's had a bit more grunt but not enough to make them avoid getting sold. Tough yes, reliable yes, good reputation yes (amongst those who haven't used anything else!), overrated, um, yes (in my opinion).
I just wish Husqvarna would come out with a filter system as good as the Dolmar HD setup or the Stihl HD2 :) Maybe one day...

Hah hah. I have to be honest here but Stihl certainly make the best accessories - I also don't know any good Husky dealers outside of Mount Gambier and Tassie. Our two local guys are a joke and hardly even have a saw on the shelf anymore. They're too busy selling Yamaha motorbikes and boats. When they do have a saw on the shelf it's lucky to be over 40cc and certainly not a pro saw.
Also I'm not necessarily a Husky man as all of my favourite small saws are Stihl. I just like the Huskys over about 50cc (as well as the Dolmar 7900's). I've owned 660's and they had plenty of nuts but they had crap balance when falling compared to the Husky 390XP's and used nearly twice the fuel. The 660's had a bit more grunt but not enough to make them avoid getting sold. Tough yes, reliable yes, good reputation yes (amongst those who haven't used anything else!), overrated, um, yes (in my opinion).
I just wish Husqvarna would come out with a filter system as good as the Dolmar HD setup or the Stihl HD2 :) Maybe one day...
hahaha just giving ya #### mate lol i do like my huskys too but work for stihl so im keen on them to i priced a hd2 filter the outer day it was $ 51.63 on my trade price damm im not gonna have one for a while how did ya go with the rims and chain ???
keep on cutting mate

Great videos! But where is the part with the run away? Now that would have been funny!

hahaha just giving ya #### mate lol i do like my huskys too but work for stihl so im keen on them to i priced a hd2 filter the outer day it was $ 51.63 on my trade price damm im not gonna have one for a while how did ya go with the rims and chain ???
keep on cutting mate

Express posted today old son.

Great videos! But where is the part with the run away? Now that would have been funny!

Well actually I shot off out to the side. I honestly felt like I was pulling about 40kph at the time but the reality caught on film showed maybe 04kph. Not having run much for a while after needing a few knee surgeries really showed :)

Express posted today old son.

Well actually I shot off out to the side. I honestly felt like I was pulling about 40kph at the time but the reality caught on film showed maybe 04kph. Not having run much for a while after needing a few knee surgeries really showed :)

WE WANT PROOF! Come on show us your Usain Bolt move.... :msp_tongue:

Well did you hear about that magnitude 7.1 earthquake on Sunday in Indonesia?

I thought I felt some vibrations just recently..... :hmm3grin2orange: and I thought it was only the diarrhea that I am suffuring from at the moment. :potstir:

Last edited:
Hi again gents.
When it rains it pours. Had two different property managers call me last Friday asking me to fell more Casuarinas. Neither of them had any idea that the other had called.
One is at a new property where they want all of their older Casuarianas (around 40-50 years old) felled to once again stop root intrusion into the orchard. There are some big trees in this lot. I pruned out the bottoms of one run with the 200T again (I love this little saw!) and then started felling them. In all honesty it got hotter than I thought and cracked 40°C in the shade by the time I pulled the pin around lunchtime. I hadn't checked the weather for a few days and it became quite uncomfortable in the end as humidity was right up too. I knew it was hot when all my plastic jerry cans blew up and rolled over in the shade due to excess pressure.
I didn't fell any of the big ones just yet but will get into them over the coming weeks. I used the new 550XP with .325" semi chisel and an 8 pin rim. The bar was actually something I made up from a few different bars. I had nothing in stock in UHL mount over 18" in .325" with a removeable nose so welded together both a .050" GB Pro Top (17") in HV mount and an old UHL mount .050" GB Hard Top I had here. As others have said before on AS the new GB nose sprockets are all coming in orange like the Ti bars have.
The total bar length came to around 21" and the little saw pulled it fine with no problems at all.

20130217112842.jpg

The only problem I did have which I've read about on AS recently is the odd one can be a ##### to start when warm. Mine is no exception. With the starting switch always on (you push it down to stop the saw then it pops back into the start position) you then pull it out and up for choke. It also has a priming bulb and decomp. What I found was that it wouldn't start when hot so you'd have to choke it, prime it, give it a couple of pulls, then pull it's arse off until it eventually fired - then it would burble and fart around until it cleared it's throat then you'd have a little hotrod again. All in all a great little saw but an overcomplicated starting procedure - I may have got one of the saws with a dodgey fuel breather - not sure. The M-Tronics are far more user friendly in this case and will continue to idle on choke until you hit the throttle which disengages the choke and away you go.

20130217112704.jpg

20130217112657.jpg

I also had issues with the Jakmax alloy wedges. Yes I was hitting them hard as there were some heavy leaners that needed some input but luckily I had my face shield down when a few of these bits flew off. Easy way to lose an eye. As Neil (ausneil) has said the Stihl alloy wedges are the best, but at $45 each they can stay on the Stihl shelf thanks.

20130217112250.jpg

20130217112230.jpg

I also threw a chain on the 200T which well and truly hooked the chain catcher. Dammit. I've got Bennn*e here to order me some more...

20130217085725.jpg

Also as much as I love the 200T's they do have their limitations. This tree is a monster, has a heavy lean over the orchard, and will be getting jacked over. I really couldn't be arsed hammering wedges in for two hours to get it over. Will be fun though!!!

20130217093626.jpg

Didn't take any videos but will be sure to on my next outing...

Last edited:
got a heap of these coming if you need a decent wedge matt

Yeah they're good wedges mate for sure. I looked at getting some in a while ago but a bit too spendy at the rate I chew them up.
I might be in touch to grab a couple off you if you want to sell any :) The good thing with these allow wedges is that they don't bind in our hardwoods like some of the plastics have a tendency to do. They also have 1.5" of lift which comes in handy. Most plastics have 1" of lift except for the 12" ones that have 1.5". Only problem with the alloys is that you can't double stack them.

EDIT: Actually I think I now remember why I didn't buy any. From memory they are double taper and can't be stacked easily.

Last edited:
Yeah they're good wedges mate for sure. I looked at getting some in a while ago but a bit too spendy at the rate I chew them up.
I might be in touch to grab a couple off you if you want to sell any :) The good thing with these allow wedges is that they don't bind in our hardwoods like some of the plastics have a tendency to do. They also have 1.5" of lift which comes in handy. Most plastics have 1" of lift except for the 12" ones that have 1.5". Only problem with the alloys is that you can't double stack them.

EDIT: Actually I think I now remember why I didn't buy any. From memory they are double taper and can't be stacked easily.

nope they are single taper i have stacked them the head is a bit differant ya got to hit them with a spliter or
your mash hammer, will post a pic when it lets me

Have you tried those yet or will this be the first go 'round? They look pretty effective was thinking about picking some up.

been useing the for about 8 or 9 months best ABS plastic wedge on the market

Last edited:
Back