Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did ask that,he has some deal going with the local Land Care group,he has made 2 of these wild life reserve areas all ready.
Then he gets permits and i shoot his roos so work that out ?.

hey andrew it's 00:28 and me and the young bloke just got back from shooting from a place the same
been cuting red gum this arvo and tonight shot his roos and fox's that live in his wildlife reserves he's got about 200 ha
worth all over his place :confused:
why put them in to breed crap and then pay me to shoot em, oh well i get pocket money and keeps me of the couch.
speeking of which just put a barreled action in that thumb hole stock i posted a couple of week ago man it shoots nice
litle 1/2" clusters at 120Y cheers

Oh and the video...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yBOdhwxnURk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice work champ your allmost getting good at that.:smile2: How did ya get the wind to go the way ya wont.:msp_rolleyes:
Im liking the pants holder uppers,very pro looking.

Nice work champ your allmost getting good at that.:smile2: How did ya get the wind to go the way ya wont.:msp_rolleyes:
Im liking the pants holder uppers,very pro looking.

Yeah I thought I'd better run Stihl braces when using the 241 or it might crack the sooks and lop my leg off. Actually I replaced my strap on chaps with a pair of Canadian made Jakmax protective trousers and they are "slightly" loose. Plus the braces hold them up and stop woodchips sneaking in and getting all over your nutbag :D Best bloody decision I've ever made. I hadn't realised just how much of a pain in the arse strap on chaps are. I got a pair of summer weight ones as the winter weight pants would have you sweating to death in minutes unless cutting in the snow :)

Back again homies.
Well when it doesn't rain it pours. All of a sudden I've had more tree work than I know what to do with and actually had to palm one job off as it would have meant taking a week off from my day job in the busiest time of our year.
I had a call from one of the property managers at the last minute requesting that I partially cut down 10,000 Tangelo trees as they want to graft them to a new Mandarin variety. Unfortunately the guy who does the grafting is in town and caught them on the hop. One of the pruning contractors gave him a quote that was through the roof so he asked that I do the job at their rates as he knows my saws will be way quicker. Unfortunately one of the guys at my work has been diagosed with prostate cancer and is off for treatment on Monday so I had to decline as we are already understaffed. I would have made about $3000-3500 in 6 days. Bummer...
Anyway, I was back out at the neighbouring property to the one above and got stuck into the last remaining row of the larger Casuarinas here - I dropped maybe 120 in 6 1/2 hours and there are still a fair few to go but many of these will have to have their tops trimmed with a high lift truck before I can fell them. They have massive leans and there is no way you'll get them to go where you want unless the tops are knocked out of them. I had a pretty strong Westerly/South Westerly wind which was ideal and it helped immensely in getting these trees over the way they had to go.
I decided to fit out a new 24" Tsumura with a .325" nose and tried a loop of Carlton K3C semi chisel with a Stihl 9 pin rim. I ran it on the pop upped 7900 and it cut really well. Unfortunately .325" in this particular situation was getting blunt far too quick so although it was a good thing to try I'll go back to 3/8" in future once this loop is worn out.
I also ended up running a 32" 3/8" bar on both the 7900 and 390XP for the rest of the felling. The larger trees in the video were super hard and as hard as any of the Casuarinas I've cut. There is a video coming of the 390XP with a 32" buried and it is really working hard. Way harder than it normally would and this was with non skip semi chisel and a 7 pin rim.
Apart from maybe getting my mitts on a new Husky 550XP I'm really happy with my current saw lineup and really don't want to change anything.
I have basically all bases covered now with 2 x Stihl 200T's, a Stihl HT131 Pole Saw, the little Stihl MS241C, a Husky 353, 2 x ported Dolmar 7900's, a ported 390XP, and the muffler modded 3120.
I'm getting the 390XP video done up as we speak and I was hoping to have these uploaded earlier in the week. Unfortunately something went astray with my video editing program (Cyberlink Powerdirector 9) so had to upgrade to the latest Version 11 which solved the problem (for $150 dammit :(). I still use basic old Windows Movie Maker for the titles but that program is crap with HD videos in my book.
Anyway here are some piccys. Tracy came out on the camera while Zoe was asleep under some Avocado trees in her pram. I was hoping to get more videos but unfortunately babies need to be fed and have nappies changed. Who would have thunk it :)

2012-09-16%2012.32.59_zpsdc17b140.jpg

2012-09-16%2012.33.12_zps4ab3693c.jpg

390XP with 24" Chinabar...

2012-09-16%2013.08.45_zps38c9943d.jpg

2012-09-16%2014.01.54_zpsda6cd056.jpg

As I've mentioned before you always have to be careful with these things where they have bifurcated trunks. I've been lucky (and also very careful and cautious) but this tree split on the way over. If I'd have cut much higher I may have had the back half of the tree crack off and come over, potentially on me...

2012-09-16%2015.00.44_zps1ceee511.jpg

And the video...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/itX-YEhTJ3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I notice a fair amount of side ways flex in that Tsumura bar there bloike,are the .325 bars thinner or whats the go,funny how ya dont see these things when you doing the felling a.:msp_unsure:

Looks like fun champ,i like the Stihl orange shirt very classy.:biggrin:

Yeah and they match those awesome suspenders :msp_thumbsup:

Yeah I thought I'd better wear the Stihl braces as I was running the Dolmar and Husky so had to cover all bases. I didn't want to get anybody offside :)

Oh and the orange hi vis shirt is unfortunately an OH&S requirement.

I notice a fair amount of side ways flex in that Tsumura bar there bloike,are the .325 bars thinner or whats the go,funny how ya dont see these things when you doing the felling a.:msp_unsure:

This is actually a dedicated 3/8" bar mate except that I whacked a .325" nose on it. I also noticed a slight bit of flex in the video too so funny you mention that. I didn't notice it when actually running the saw and it's certainly not moving around in the cut which is always an issue. I know my older 60" GB Ti roller nosed bars are crap when it comes to felling as they have about as much structural integrity as a wet noodle. The new orange Ti's are as solid as a rock.

Last edited:
And the 390XP video. I couldn't be buggared hammering in wedges with the larger backward leaning tree so used the others to knock it over.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5iyc0lYJEvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Suspenders are awesome

I wear them all the time better than showing your plumbers crack any day

Last edited:
I know a very nice hairdresser in SA who also does hair removal, just in case you want to explore your options Matt...

So nice in fact, she even offered to help me with firewood this one time, but we never got around to that :(

Last edited:
Back