Today's Job...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work as usual there Matt,that 390 sounds a bit goodly.

It does sound good mate. For some reason it sounds better when you're not actually running it.

I was all out of washing machine springs..I used one from a tumble dryer :D.
Thanks for the sticker, Kyle was out of stock of those when I last made an order.

Good job mate :) No dramas on the sticker. It needed a tart up.

Good work old mate:givebeer:

Thanks old son. I edited out the part when I crushed half the house, took down more powerlines, threw a chain and cut my leg, and the bit where I copped a falling branch on the noggin. I love these video editing programs, they can make people actually look quite capable :D

It does sound good mate. For some reason it sounds better when you're not actually running it.

Good job mate :) No dramas on the sticker. It needed a tart up.

Thanks old son. I edited out the part when I crushed half the house, took down more powerlines, threw a chain and cut my leg, and the bit where I copped a falling branch on the noggin. I love these video editing programs, they can make people actually look quite capable :D

sh@t at that rate youll get a job with SAMARAS :waaaht:

Just wondering if you helped the neighbor clean out here underwear?

Nah Will I couldn't catch her mate. She took off pretty quickly :)

Lookin' good Matt. Sounds like the 390's still running good for you. I just got a second one myself.

It hasn't missed a beat Brad. I'm lucky I didn't have it a few years ago when I started the main Casuarina job as my CAD would suggest I'd own a dozen by now. You'd have been a busy boy (well even busier I meant!).
I love my Dolmar 7900's (if you hadn't guessed :D). If/when Dolmar bring out a 90cc version of the 7900 maybe, just maybe, this 390XP will have something to worry about. I doubt it though! They are an excellent saw in so many aspects it's not funny. Oh and good job on the porting too :) As mentioned earlier a good testament to your work on this saw is absolutely flogging a couple of stock, new MS660's in performance while using nearly half the fuel :cheers:

Got a call from the property manager at the "Kangara" farm where I dropped that windrow of eucalypts earlier in this thread (a few months ago).
The decision has been made to drop the East/West Casuarina windbreaks on this farm with the rest likely to be dropped later. Firstly I have to drop about 250-500 trees so we can work out costings for the rest of the farm and then budgeting can be done and signed off on by upper management.
These trees were only planted in 2006 and the largest may have a 10" trunk and 30' tall. The vast majority would be about 8" trunk and 20-25' tall.
The scary part is how many of these trees there is and how boring the job will be :)

For example (and yes they are two different rows - there are 9 of these in total)...

170720122536.jpg

170720122537.jpg

These particular rows are dead straight and 4860m or 3 miles long (2430 trees). There are 7 of these rows the same length. A couple of them are shorter at 4200m or 2.6 miles long (2100 trees).
Therefore total number of trees not including the North/South rows is approximately 21,210 :(
Certainly not big saw territory and one of these new 550 Auto-Tune Huskies look the goods at this stage - jobs like this help fund my CAD :D Until I make that decision I'll run my Husky 353 with the MS241C as a backup.
The base of the trees are easily accessible and at this stage and I would expect a felling rate of at least 110 per hour. I managed an average of 110 an hour earlier in this thread on slightly larger trees with the now sold 5100-S. I miss that saw :(

Happy felling,cut ya legs off at the knees save ya bending down.;)

Luckily all waist height. Well sort of luckily.

There won't be too many exciting videos coming out of this lot :)

It will give me an opportunity for a tree domino world record, if there is such a thing ;)

The hard part is fighting ya way in to the trunk.:msp_mad:

Actually mate they're pretty good. They had one of these machines run down each side nearly level with the trunk last year :D Easy access.

4bladepruner.jpg

5bladepruner.jpg

These things are a weapon for sure and are used a lot in fruit tree pruning.

Actually mate they're pretty good. They had one of these machines run down each side nearly level with the trunk last year :D Easy access.

4bladepruner.jpg

5bladepruner.jpg

These things are a weapon for sure and are used a lot in fruit tree pruning.

The design engineer must have worked for Dr. Suess in an earlier life.
Did that thing take the competency test and pass the little tree feller course?

The design engineer must have worked for Dr. Suess in an earlier life.
Did that thing take the competency test and pass the little tree feller course?

Actually they are relatively common machine out here and these particular ones are made in Israel from memory. The guy who owns them is also a client of mine and runs a lot of citrus as well. He also sells the US made Air-O-Fan horticultural spray units which I have done a lot of trial work on. They are an awesome unit.

Welcome to gallardservices.com.au

I guess you could get somebody to drive the ute, and then have the passenger stick the saw out the window. Works fine as long as the trees fall away from the ute. Or build a bracket with a deflector and the saw built in, and then put it on the bullbar :msp_biggrin:

Or we can have an aussie GTG :msp_biggrin: We could run a book on how far the 4620 would get before it fell apart lol

Graham

Sadly they'll be pushing/dragging it into piles and burning it. Bit of a waste but to be honest the vast majority of it is garbage. I saw a few growth rings today just over an inch apart. They've grown too fast to be much good for anything. I saw $$$ from firewood originally but it can stay there now as far as I'm concerned.
With legal liability etc they can't just let any man or their dog on the place to cut and take it either.
Some of the piles will be well worth cracking the marshmallows out for :)

stockpile the trunks for firewood,here in n.s.w wood fired pizza shops will pay premium $s for dry,split she'oak,$450 plus per tonne.bakers say it,s the best fuel of all for their ovens.I supply a couple of these shops.The biggest stands of river she,oak in the world grow near Bega along the river,some 8 to 15 feet dia' 40 minutes from me at Narooma.It would be a waste to just push it up and torch it,:rock:if it was near here i could sell every stick :msp_thumbsup:

looks like a good job for a dozer

i was thinking the same thing, job would be done in a day or 2....why did they plant them so close to the citrus the roots would be over there getting all the good stuff...

Guess what? I mentioned the same thing. Problem is that they have irrigation lines, control valves, electrical cabling etc etc plus the final mess to clean up. Last time they tried a dozer it basically caused more damage than it fixed as these things have a fair root mass to them even at this young age. Been there, tried it. They also had a massive mulcher go over a few lines of trees as a trial too. The mess created was massive. What they are going to do is have me fell them all on top of one another then burn them. This also takes care of reshooting stumps. This turned out to be the most efficient thing to do on the other properties although the size of the original trees also scalded a number of citrus trees.
I'm the last resort :)

stockpile the trunks for firewood,here in n.s.w wood fired pizza shops will pay premium $s for dry,split she'oak,$450 plus per tonne.bakers say it,s the best fuel of all for their ovens.I supply a couple of these shops.The biggest stands of river she,oak in the world grow near Bega along the river,some 8 to 15 feet dia' 40 minutes from me at Narooma.It would be a waste to just push it up and torch it,:rock:if it was near here i could sell every stick :msp_thumbsup:

As mentioned they've grown too fast. Many people had the same assumption about this gear for firewood but it burns like crap. Biggest problem is that most people have never seen what native species grow like on close to 400kg/ha of fertigated Nitrogen per year - the original aim of the property was to get these windbreaks growing as fast as they possible could to protect the young citrus trees from wind damage. The windbreaks alone on the original property were receiving 700 megalitres of irrigation a year (that's a sh*tload of water and a sh*tload of fast growth when combined with 400kg/ha of actual Nitrogen in 12 months). The end result isn't pretty and the timber didn't end up like any Casuarina you've seen - it was more like Pine and burnt like it too. The exact same species grown under low-moderate rainfall with no fertiliser inputs are very high value and sought after.
Some of the 40 year old trees weren't too bad but most of the trees in the original part of the thread were only 19 years old. I know what slow grown Casuarina burns like - it's excellent and I've been burning some tonight. It's even better than Redgum.
Sure you didn't make a typo with the 8' to 15' diameter comment? If not I want photos :)

Latest posts

Back