Unsafe Friend

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catharticus

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do any of you know what to do with a co-worker/friend that seems to cut corners in the "saftey" part of a job? I have a friend that is ample in training but lacking experience. He'll take risks up in a tree--and not ask questions if he is unsure of himself. What do you do with a friend like this? Refuse to be near when he works? He seems to have the "I'll prove I can do this and not get hurt" attitude. How should I handle this friend?

Experience must be earned - I would put the young'n on the ground running the ropes so he can see what is dangerous or acceptable according to you. Make it clear in no uncertain terms why he is learning from the bottom up.

My 2 cents

Don't wait an accident, he can cause damage&&& or worst someone may be hurts...think about your insurance cost. I don't hear a lot of good experience working with friends.

Denis

That is a good Question. I also have friends that are dangerous, mostly because they lack experience and knowledge. Just try talking to him and ask him to slow down and think a little more. How is his next action going to affect himself and the crew? Tell him you don't want to see anybody get hurt. When your friend does get hurt, you are probally feel guilty for letting him do stupid stuff. "You always regret the thing you don't do more than the things you do" Hope this helps, Jonathan

You may lose a friend by telling him to do it the right way, but you may lose him (his life) if you don't teach him the right way. Working with friends and relatives is the hardest thing to do. Try to make him listen. ;)

There is No Substitute for Saftey

The (isa) international society of arboriculture has a series of videos called arbormaster training you can buy.
They cover everything from climbing techniques to saftey
Or 1 video called (Climbing skills test-preparation video)
watch them on a rain day or loan them to climbers. It may help.

I AGREE WITH JDEER 1MONTH YOUR EAGER 2 MONTHS LOOKOUT 6MO
I DONT NEED YOU I'M GOING IN MY OWN BUS. 10 YRS EXP. I WOULD
PROBEBLY WORK WITH HIM SEEMS LIKE HE MIGHT HAVE THE TREE
CLIMBING DISEASE CALLED SWELLITIS OF THE HEAD AND TESTI----
I THINK WE ALL HAVE HAD IT IF WE ARE HONEST ,NOT TO MANY VERY HUMBLE TREE CLIMBERS JUST A THOUGHT MY 2CENT THOUGHT

[Edited by rfphillips on 04-04-2001 at 08:32 AM]

I know of many people in this field that are newcommers and take numerous risks from inexperience. After 12 years in this business I have seen numerous cases of serious injurys and or deaths. My best advice is for anyone in the business is get the proper training and experience. It only takes one small careless mistake to create a disaster.You have to be ready for any circumstance that may transpire and know how to react. It may mean saving someones life. I am thankful that this has not happened with our crew but have been on numerous sites watching other companys with no regard for safety. Its rush rush rush,get the tree's down etc. a few minutes of time for safety is not worth a situation that you are going to have to live with for the rest of your life.

Back