Why Not Serrated Chains!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I visited the State Fair last week and stopped to watch all of the product demonstrator guys. A number of them return every year. It just wouldn't be the same Fair without them. Some I almost know by name.

So, I'm watching the Ginsu knife guy cut into the steel hammer head, then partway into a brass bar, then sawing into the butcher block, and (of course) then cuts effortlessly through a tomato. ("It would be a pleasure to use a knife that sharp, now wouldn't it!?").

So why not a serrated Ginsu edge for chainsaw cutters?

Instead of hitting the sand and having to file or grind, I could keep cutting through cords of tomatoes, . . . er, firewood.

It would be a bear to resharpen, . . . but wait! The knives never need sharpening! And, if they ever dull, even if it is my fault, or if I accidentally put them in the dishwasher (you know us chain soakers), I could send them back to the factory for a free replacement under the lifetime factory warranty!.

Hey Oregon, are you listening?

Philbert

A chain is a serrated edge. All saws are.

A chain is a serrated edge. All saws are.

:agree2:

Besides, you file the chain at an angle to give it a shearing/slicing action. If you serrated that edge it would just hang in the wood and take more power to pull without giving any more cut per pass.

Mr. HE:cool:

I get all that. That's all part of 'Sharpening 101'

I keep thinking about the Ginsu knife: how the extreme tips can be dulled, but the 'scallops' remain sharp enough to cut.

How could that concept be applied to chainsaw chain so that it keeps cutting even after the primary edge gets dulled?

Philbert

They make a cutting tooth for various machinery that basically has an inferior material in the hollow of the grind.....this material is worn away as it cuts and continually exposes a fresh edge on a much harder material on the cutting edge.

I read that they got the idea from observing how rodent teeth do the same....:monkey:

They make a cutting tooth for various machinery that basically has an inferior material in the hollow of the grind.....this material is worn away as it cuts and continually exposes a fresh edge on a much harder material on the cutting edge.

I read that they got the idea from observing how rodent teeth do the same....:monkey:

This is the basic idea behind chrome plated teeth on a saw.

Is that the point you were trying to make?

I don't think it would clear chips very well. Excellent for preparing salads if catering for large food festivals etc though ;)

I visited the State Fair last week and stopped to watch all of the product demonstrator guys. A number of them return every year. It just wouldn't be the same Fair without them. Some I almost know by name.

So, I'm watching the Ginsu knife guy cut into the steel hammer head, then partway into a brass bar, then sawing into the butcher block, and (of course) then cuts effortlessly through a tomato. ("It would be a pleasure to use a knife that sharp, now wouldn't it!?").

Instead of hitting the sand and having to file or grind, I could keep cutting through cords of tomatoes, . . . er, firewood.

It would be a bear to resharpen, . . . but wait! The knives never need sharpening! And, if they ever dull, even if it is my fault, or if I accidentally put them in the dishwasher (you know us chain soakers), I could send them back to the factory for a free replacement under the lifetime factory warranty!.

Philbert

+1 gotchaed! :clap:

Your Thinking!

Watch out for parlor-tricks, a lot of knife makers use them.

As a knife maker I'll tell you,,,

Cutting the hammer is easy, hardened steel (the knife) will cut extremely tempered steel ( the hammer) every time, paper - scissors - rock. Just as brass and wood yield to steel.

Tomato has a soft flesh that yields into the area of the test knife that has not touched the hammer.

A well made real knife will whittle on a horseshoe and stihl shave arm-hair, freaks people out when they see it, but it is a fact of physics.

Will not work

The tip is what does most of the cutting.
Then then side plate.

You could serrate the tip in microns but dirt would overcome that distance quickly.

The tip has to be sharp and that is a very small area.

==================

"I read that they got the idea from observing how rodent teeth do the same."

It was watching a wood boring beetle. The guy formed a company called 'Oregon".

I suppose you could say the inventors of the circular saws that are on feller-bunchers were watching rodents.

This is the basic idea behind chrome plated teeth on a saw.

Is that the point you were trying to make?

Yes,I am aware of the chrome plating on chainsaw teeth and NO it is not the point I was trying to make.

The softer material underneath the chrome on chainsaw cutters is to facilitate file sharpening.....I'm talking about a self sharpening feature and not the crapsman auto sharp feature that never did work worth a flip.

Some examples I can offer are stump grinder teeth,road surfacing machines,and some industrial roughing planers that I've seen.Just a matter of time until they miniaturize the process.

Why listen to the naysayers? Modify one of your chains to the appearance you are thinking and asking about. Try it out and definitely post the video on AS.

No idea. Still in the conceptual stage.

Philbert

It needs to stay in that stage.

Serrations only work in side to side action. Try whittling with the edge of a handsaw vs a sharp knife. Even a Stihl probably doesn't have enough vibration to make serrated edges effective.

In a forward motion, like a chisel or hand-plane blade, the only possible advantage to serrations would be less cutting area. Much easier to get the same effect by leaving your rakers high, or switching to a more narrow chain.

Looking at how a cutter functions, a serrated edge would be a dull edge.

All my plane blades and chisel blades shave hair when I sharpen them because of the way they cut. I do kitchen knives a little differently. You can make a knife too sharp to slice a tomato because it won't "grab" the skin. To make the knives more useful, I only sharpen one side of the edge to a mirror surface, and leave the other with the finish from the next smoothest stone. This leaves "micro-serrations". The knife isn't as sharp, but it is much more functional.

We use an ordinary knife for a bread knife...I just sharpen one side mirror smooth, and finish the other side with my rough stone. Works much better than knives with obvious serrations.

Philbert

Is this serrated enough for you????

DSCN1806.jpg

It's kinda scary when it is running.....

:cheers:
Mike

Wow Mike! It looks like vibration might be a problem with that machine. I do think you could butcher an Elephant in short order with it though.

Latest posts

Back