Why Not Serrated Chains!?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make a cutting tooth for various machinery that basically has an inferior material in the hollow of the grind.....this material is worn away as it cuts and continually exposes a fresh edge on a much harder material on the cutting edge.

I read that they got the idea from observing how rodent teeth do the same...

Interesting analogy! Please read the excerpt below from a company history page:

A Better Way of Woodcutting

Logger/inventor Joseph Buford Cox was chopping firewood one chilly autumn day in 1946 when he paused for a moment to examine the curious activity in a tree stump. A timber-beetle larva, the size of a man's forefinger, was easily chewing its way through sound timber, going both across and with the wood grain at will.

Joe was an experienced operator of the gas-powered saws used in those days, but the cutting chain was a problem. It required a lot of filing and maintenance time. "I spent several months looking for nature's answer to the problem," Joe recalled. "I found it in the larva of the timber beetle."

Joe knew if he could duplicate the larva's alternating C-shaped jaws in steel, it just might catch on. He went to work in the basement shop of his Portland, Oregon home and came up with a revolutionary new chain. The first Cox Chipper Chain was produced and sold in November, 1947. The basic design of Joe's original chain is still widely used today and represents one of the biggest influences in the history of timber harvesting.

Joe went on to form a company now known as Oregon Chain Company, a division of Blount, Inc. As the late Paul Harvey would say, " . . .and now you know the rest of the story!"

Philbert

In a sense, you are adding serrations when a chain is filed, the cutters of the file leave a micro pattern.

Saw chain cuts like a block-plane, the chip separates from a - b , serrations would lengthen the amount that would need to be cut, taking more power.

Another problem with those micro-serrations is that when they do ware down, one micro high point can ware out and the one next to it can ware in. Making your cutting edge wider and duller. Chrome helps them all ware inwards, as well as it has more ware resistance.

Finishing a chain with a couple light swipes of a 'fine' file or wheel can make the chain stay sharper a little longer, and it cuts a little faster as it offers less friction.

Finishing with ceramic or buffing rouge may be more time then worth, but chains sure cut like h311 for a little while.

They make a cutting tooth for various machinery that basically has an inferior material in the hollow of the grind.....this material is worn away as it cuts and continually exposes a fresh edge on a much harder material on the cutting edge.

I read that they got the idea from observing how rodent teeth do the same....:monkey:

Or draw back the hardness (temper) from the hollow of the grind, I believe Stihl chain is made this way. Softer/stronger on the inside harder-brittle(r)/last longer on the outside.

Many tools could not stand the strain if the whole cutter were as hard as it was needed to offer the ware resistance required for the job.

Saw chain cuts like a block-plane

That's only when noodling where the cutter top and side plates slot in between fibres and hang on to pull a noodle. When cross cutting and milling the teeth porpoise up and down off the bar taking chips in waves, more like adze than a plane.

I raised the issue of why chain saw chain doesn't use serrated styled teeth like a cross cut a while back. The general response was that these cross uts need to use very long cutters with deep gullets for adequate sawdust clearance. (Can you imagine the same length teeth on a chain) As the teeth wear and are filed down the gullets also have to be deepened - this cannot be done if the teeth are on a chain. Conventional saw chain uses a horizontal cutter so the gullets actually get wider as the chain wears.

Interesting analogy! Please read the excerpt below from a company history page:

Joe went on to form a company now known as Oregon Chain Company, a division of Blount, Inc. As the late Paul Harvey would say, " . . .and now you know the rest of the story!"

Philbert

Yes,I've read that excerpt before.In this link is more of what I was getting at:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=1999061211&IA=US1999011401&DISPLAY=DESC

Or draw back the hardness (temper) from the hollow of the grind, I believe Stihl chain is made this way. Softer/stronger on the inside harder-brittle(r)/last longer on the outside.

Many tools could not stand the strain if the whole cutter were as hard as it was needed to offer the ware resistance required for the job.

Again,not what I was getting at,,,,,I am well aware of the physics of modern cutters of most types...Take a look at this link:

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=1999061211&IA=US1999011401&DISPLAY=DESC

Just saw these:

Philbert

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=64008&cat=52&ap=1

attachment.php

I just finished cutting up a Red Oak from a buddys front yard.

I now have a 16" loop of serrated tooth Oregon LP thanks to multiple nails from fricken Garage sale signs....

It cuts like a wet Twinkie.

I'll sell the loop to ya for 100 bucks cuz now it's custom serrated Ginsu chain, or if you can find it somewhere near the Hickory just east of my Barn, you can have it for free.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'll sell the loop to ya for 100 bucks cuz now it's custom serrated Ginsu chain, or if you can find it somewhere near the Hickory just east of my Barn, you can have it for free.

Wish I could rep you for that one!

Back