Windowed piston versus non-windowed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc874

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Whats the potential problems running a non-windowed piston in a saw that originally had a windowed piston. I particularly wish to know about a jonsered 490. Due to porting will the saw run or will it work at all?

Whats the potential problems running a non-windowed piston in a saw that originally had a windowed piston. I particularly wish to know about a jonsered 490. Due to porting will the saw run or will it work at all?

Why not cut a window in the new one?

The windows are fuel delivery, no windows, no fuel. Closed p/c has a slot running down the side of cyl. into crankcase. Window cyl lines up with piston window to pass fuel from crankcase. It prolly won't run with that combo. If you are having a hard time finding a piston check the Husky 50, 51. Some of those had windowed pistons. Oh yea, Partner 5000 also.

hmmmmmmm what about the 365/372?

no windahs and closed ports.

ROTF.....there are more than a few open port motors with windowed pistons too.

The reason there are no 490 pistons available is it is the same as a 5000 partner so no steals and deals there...I have only one of these pistons left and it is expensive.

It may be more advantageous to use as a mold pattern and not be sold at all.

hmmmmmmm what about the 365/372?

no windahs and closed ports.

ROTF.....there are more than a few open port motors with windowed pistons too.

The reason there are no 490 pistons available is it is the same as a 5000 partner so no steals and deals there...I have only one of these pistons left and it is expensive.

It may be more advantageous to use as a mold pattern and not be sold at all.

Go ahead and mold that piston i'd buy one. I actually cleaned up the original as it was only very lightly marked could barely feel it with finger nail. I threw a Husky 50 ring on it and now it runs great, go figure. I had thought about opening the transfers in the cylinder as someone mentioned here but thought it would be easier and cheaper to just clean and go.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back