Wire broke off hyd pump, how dissassm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kgw51gmc

94 c3500 hd boat anchor
Reaction score
Wire that energizes electric clutch on hydraulic pump broke flush with the case. Pump is laying loose,I haven't and don't want to remove hydraulic lines if unnecessary. Nut on center of pulley....but no way to hold still, aside from re mounting and letting the belt hold it. If was on the bench no clue.
I need apart to mend that wire. Those four little bolts that hold electrical components loosened easy but the pulley is in way of pulling off. Is there a trick or a hole underneath I'm not seeing to poke something in to hold it?KIMG0077.jpg

Attachments

• KIMG0078.jpg
    KIMG0078.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • KIMG0077.jpg
    KIMG0077.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
yup a real mess!!
yea no real easy fix here, rounded off bolt heads...
the bolt maybe reverse thread... hard to tell...
this is a basic old school clutch like on an ac compressor.
you are best to remove the pump cap all lines with the proper plugs and caps.
if you have not done and update on the system to jic 37 deg fittings... now might be the time to update.
easy to get hoses and fittings... any case IH farm place should be able to fix you up on the hoses etc.

I would say...
replace the pump maybe with gear from this mfg they make belt pump systems for tow trucks.
dew eze mfg
so how many V drive belts are they using?
krusty old pump is not a good thing...
and make sure you zip tie the new electrical well!!

basics on the clutch holder tool is this one
15.50 plus shipping unless you get free freight with more parts.
OTC Tools AC Clutch Holding Spanner Wrench Keeps AC Clutch From Turning When Loosening Or Tightening Retaining Nut
Part Number: 717-4537
jegs Part Number: 717-4537

The inside of this pump is clean as a whistle. I took it off a while ago. Return line is massive and has massive flow onto the driveway. I jammed a pc of fuel line into it that fit tight, then vise gripped it shut, stopped leaking instantly.

I took pump apart, to hopefully find another way to hold it still. I can wrap rags around the gear and put huge vise grip onto the gear, but scary to do that.
I got the bolt out!, too bad the clutch is held on by #1) the bolt.... and then #2) the clutch itself is threaded around the shaft! So that part is stuck and won't come off. I can't grip the clutch good enough (it's thin and no good bite).

Maybe I can hold the clutch with the clutch holder tool, and then turn the gear with ten layers of bike innertube wrapped around it and a big pair of vise grips.

I am confident this pump is not only good, I think it's better than anything I can replace it with. The gears are beautiful chrome colored and clean/not worn. It seems to be ridiculously heavy duty. I have taken apart a few other pumps, (like a 3 point hitch driven backhoe pump) and they are no where near the hd build and no chrome looking stuff either. I am hoping like hell I can get this damn thing apart.

It's so annoying when something is made like a rubiks cube or just impossible to work on. A pump is sooooooooooo simple, yet we can't make one with a little hole in it to hold stuff still? I almost drilled it.....

I'm going to make a toll with three 1/4" studs that will line up with the grooves on face of clutch and secure the pump half firmly, then wrap material around gear and firmly crank it to thread apart.
I cut head off off bolt thinking clutch would then slide off.....but no ooooo. They just had to thread the clutch itself to the shaft. At least I'll be able to grab the headless bolt with vise grips after clutch comes off (IF)

Attachments

• KIMG0107.jpg
    KIMG0107.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0103.jpg
    KIMG0103.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0102.jpg
    KIMG0102.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0104.jpg
    KIMG0104.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • KIMG0109.jpg
    KIMG0109.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
juice it up with free all..
way better than pb blaster..
lol laugh with me on what I type next!!
"it sucks to be you!"
lol
I always shout that when some one else has a day like mine!!
GRIN!!
are you sure it is threaded on the pump shaft???
I see a keyway there..
I am thinking a cone style shaft?...
try smacking the bolt with a hammer and punch with the pump housing free...
hold it by the belt pulley... lol and some thing or some one to catch the pump.
or the key will have to be removed before you can spin the clutch from the shaft...
wish you were closer!!
lol
fun project!!

hey I have see that threaded before!!
if you get the bolt out, then use a large bolt to fit the threads to remove the clutch!!
it should be a taper shaft!!
they have at oreillys a rental tool for ac clutch removal..
I think it has the big bolt in the kit as well as the spanner tool.

I got bolt out and was able to see better. It has "threads"but they don't go anywhere....I ended up using a pulley puller and popped right off. The threads that were visible don't actually engage with anything. Very misleading to amateur.
So little embarrassed, but glad it's apart, now can fix wire and while inn there....I'll replace idler bearing....thanks guys! Again, this pump seems so well built and those polished shiny as chrome gears....no play in anything/well built pump. Should last forever.

Ha!
glad it is apart!
easy repair from here!
make sure you use high flex wire...
and heat resistant on the wire jacket.
it will last longer that way!!
and make sure you zip tie it so it will not be floppy and break again..
rtv also helps where the wire feeds through..

GOOD JOB!!

Very good ideas and information, from all of you. Thanks everyone.

Next will be figuring out wiring from the bucket back to the main pedestal on truck. Looks like they used it for years with no wires from the bucket. So maybe I could get stuck in air if truck runs out of fuel.

put in a second battery and use a 12 volt pump like they do on the jlg units.
just enough to get it to rotate and get you down.
shared hyd system.
they use check valves on those systems at the pumps Y.
easy to make an enable for that... just make it when the truck engine is not started or died that I switches over.
most use voltage sense on the alt for that. so if the alt is not charging it switches to aux power unit.

Yeah this one has all the electric backup built in but wires chopped from bucket down. I jumper wires and electric pump will run but not lift,I assume only for coming Down.

I took the electric lunch apart and sad to say that the wire that broke just has six or seven little tiny threads sticking up out of a recessed hole and I will have to solder directly to those or I will need to get a new electric clutch I guess and I don't want to do that. The damn thing works perfect but the wire broke. And there's a second wire that comes up out of a little hole and it's got the green corrosion around it so I'd say it'll break sometime. I wish I could just get this plastic encased magnet part but there's no part numbers on it

Attachments

• KIMG0130.jpg
    KIMG0130.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0129.jpg
    KIMG0129.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0128.jpg
    KIMG0128.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0127.jpg
    KIMG0127.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • KIMG0126.jpg
    KIMG0126.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
Those definitely look like one of them is it. Mine is 7" pulleys. I WISH I could buy just the coil part that is encased in black plastic it appears, but has a transparent-ish look to it.... I'm going to try to cross some of those numbers and read the specs while measuring mine.

Back