"You Suck" Thread 2019--Pics required!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't have oil filled gear cases. The drive gear on the clutch is steel, the reducer gear is a phenolic material. All you have to do is add a couple drops of gear oil through the top cap every day before using it.

The David Bradley is the only saw I have like that. All my other gear drives have oil filled gear cases.
Well that's good to know, but makes me worry a little bit about the noise it makes.

Thanks, good to know. What oil do you use for the daily 2 drops. I bought some 80 W-90W for the Poulan 68. Does the DB take a lighter oil?

I scored a really nice looking Stihl leaf blower for $10 because it was locked up. Supposedly it ran a few months prior. I took off the starter and flywheel and one of the carburetor screws had come loose and ended up behind the flywheel causing it to be locked up. I removed the screw and put on a flywheel that didn’t have a broken fin and now it has great compression and I’ll now just need to go through the carburetor and fuel system. The screw is in a different place in the picture than where I found it.
65dcbecd21f9dc86788576a8843d5eaa.jpg
971d3f96d7e13908ebe5e4d61f907ad3.jpg
afc7ceb87c0052a5f1a8fcdc20e1cbb6.jpg
532ebd1b1dcb2f457f9ed66304c4b7ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I scored a really nice looking Stihl leaf blower for $10 because it was locked up. Supposedly it ran a few months prior. I took off the starter and flywheel and one of the carburetor screws had come loose and ended up behind the flywheel causing it to be locked up. I removed the screw and put on a flywheel that didn’t have a broken fin and now it has great compression and I’ll now just need to go through the carburetor and fuel system. The screw is in a different place in the picture than where I found it.
65dcbecd21f9dc86788576a8843d5eaa.jpg
971d3f96d7e13908ebe5e4d61f907ad3.jpg
afc7ceb87c0052a5f1a8fcdc20e1cbb6.jpg
532ebd1b1dcb2f457f9ed66304c4b7ad.jpg

Picked this up a few weeks ago at a yardsale.

It's a really old Stihl display that somebody painted John Deere green.
picture.php

I repainted it to Stihl colors. It needs a Stihl Logo on it, but I didnt have one.
picture.php

Here is the only original one I can find a picture of.
picture.php

It does have a John Deere sticker on it, many companies copied others designs, either way it looks fantastic now just need the old Stihl decal. Can you find anymore that can reproduce it?

Homelite collector in training [emoji879]

It was definitely an aftermarket job, the sticker was the new logo, and I dont think the base wood is original. Plus the metal was chromed, the green paint wasn't sticking.

My wife has one of those vinyl cutting printer things, but she hasnt had a chance to reprint one. She cant do anything like the original though. I would be happy with a modern Stihl logo.

I picked up this non running saw at a pawn shop for $50. I thought it had low compression but I pulled it again when I got home and pulled it again and it started right up and sounded good. Maybe the compression isn’t low or it needs rings. I’ll have to put a gauge on it and see. I don’t know if this classifies as a you suck deal.
f55661c66cbf1be7afe3404dd5548c6a.jpg
fb14fd13debca08019e2fe266f1f9cdb.jpg

Maybe I do suck, there is no scoring on the piston, looks like a meteor piston and I’ll be good to go.

Garage sale package deal after work today. 3 saws. I originally saw the Earthquake CS3816 saw for $25 and the Makita 5012B electric with no price. Then he told me about a 3rd saw - a Homelite Super XL Auto. He wanted to sell all as a package deal. We agreed on $80. I think it was a good deal, but I don't know a lot about the Homelite. Hopefully someone here can let me know the age/etc. (1973??) After I saw the condition of the Homelite, I had to buy it. It's in extremely good shape and has the original carry case.

The Homelite Super XL Auto fires right up and runs good. All it needed was a little carb adjustment to run/idle awesome. Looks like it is missing the bucking spike plate (was that an option?) I'd like to find a manual and parts list for it. Has 16" bar that could actually be the the original.

The Earthquake starts right up and idles but dies when you pull the trigger. I'll have to clean/adjust the carb. It also looks like near new. Chain is really sharp and the bar has virtually no marks.

Of course the Makita starts right up. LOL! That saw looks like it has many miles on it. The housing is cracked near the bar tensioner, but it still clamps the bar well. The chain is junk and the bar isn't too far from it. He mentioned the previous owner used for carving but I don't think it has a carving bar.

Attachments

• 20190919_180155.jpg
    20190919_180155.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 52
  • 20190919_184756.jpg
    20190919_184756.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 51
  • 20190919_184632.jpg
    20190919_184632.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • 20190919_184714.jpg
    20190919_184714.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
  • 20190919_180058.jpg
    20190919_180058.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20190919_182206.jpg
    20190919_182206.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 47
Thanks, good to know. What oil do you use for the daily 2 drops. I bought some 80 W-90W for the Poulan 68. Does the DB take a lighter oil?
I've honestly not run the DB since restoring it, so no oil at all at the moment.

My other gear drives run 80W90. I think there are some gear drives (homelites maybe?) that you need to run something else in as the gear oil can eat the clutch shoe friction material. I read it somewhere but now can't seem to find it.

Posted in another thread but I'll posts here cause I SUCK!!

Picked up an Olympyk Oleo-mac 999f for $50!!

Got it from the original owner, he melted the piston milling and then it sat on the shlf for a long time. Even came with a 26" sandvik bar and chain..

Here it was the day I got it, low hour and complete but blown up.. Didnt care cause $50 for a comlete 103cc saw is a steal.

5YrqTgm.jpg
uiXkFBb.jpg
v9KVx1D.jpg
AxX91JP.jpg

Figured a piston was going to be hard to find but ended up finding one on the shelf at the dealer that sold this saw 25 years ago!!

Bought bearings and seals at a bearing supplier and was off to the races.

Here she is complete.

p2CPHE5.jpg
43ClYsW.jpg

6 days from the day i picked her up to this video, th project came together way too fast!!

Posted in another thread but I'll posts here cause I SUCK!!

Picked up an Olympyk Oleo-mac 999f for $50!!

Got it from the original owner, he melted the piston milling and then it sat on the shlf for a long time. Even came with a 26" sandvik bar and chain..

Here it was the day I got it, low hour and complete but blown up.. Didnt care cause $50 for a comlete 103cc saw is a steal.

5YrqTgm.jpg
uiXkFBb.jpg
v9KVx1D.jpg
AxX91JP.jpg

Figured a piston was going to be hard to find but ended up finding one on the shelf at the dealer that sold this saw 25 years ago!!

Bought bearings and seals at a bearing supplier and was off to the races.

Here she is complete.

p2CPHE5.jpg
43ClYsW.jpg

6 days from the day i picked her up to this video, th project came together way too fast!!

You know what I find funny about this video? It is apparently a universal language to give a chainsaw two quick revs every few minutes no matter the saw, or the country the sawer is from.

You know what I find funny about this video? It is apparently a universal language to give a chainsaw two quick revs every few minutes no matter the saw, or the country the sawer is from.

Ha ha too funny.

I like to feel the trottle response of a newly built mochine :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back