Your opinion of Efco Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roosterhog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A good friend of mine that has a family owned small engine parts business. Good reputation for being knowledgeable and fair. Sort of a small town around here so your reputation does matter.
He asked me what I thought of Efco saws. He is thinking of putting them on his shelves. I told him I had no idea, but I would ask the gang. Your thoughts?
The Stihl and Husky business is already in place around here.
Thanks!

If they are the same as Echo, then they suck donkey balls. If not, they may be alright.

Some of them are made in Italy and some are made in China. I can say it usually takes a month to get what part I need/want. The 53cc brush cutter I have (nla) is wonderful, the 132 top handle and the 27cc pole saw have been somewhat disappointing, one issue being needing re tuning every now and then where the brush cutter I have not touched a thing. All of mine are the Italy models.

They may well hold the record for most error between advertised wight and actual weight with their 152 model a few years ago if it is out of the line up at this time.

Efco has had a good reputation for some of its saws, sold under several different names, but some questions remain about their dealer and product support. Take some time and read through the threads below (or direct your friend to them).

As noted in one the threads, the company reorganized its American operations a year or so ago, with offices not far from me. I stopped by to try to get some updated information, and could not get any.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/opinions-of-the-efco-saws.179257/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/opinions-on-efco.101473/
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/efco-brand-please-leave-me-your-feedback.213748/
http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-this-if-youre-considering-buying-one.227664/

My buddy has a CS 56 and it's been a dependable saw for the most part. The only issues he seems to have is ignition switch problem (has to replace them almost yearly).

Efco makes a great saw. They made saws for John Deere for quite awhile which is how most consumers know them in the American market.
How long is quite a while? I believe they re branded echo before they re branded efco. No one has to my knowledge here (really) explained why Deere dropped them, I know they eventually gave their dealers the option to carry Stihl. Efco was also re branded Cub cadet but I think all of that was the made in Italy stuff wasn't it?

The only value proposition they would present would be price. I'm not sure I'd want to carry an OPE line where the only real selling point compared to the competition was price at point of sale.

Now, that said, the little experience I've had with them has been positive. But all things equal, I'd sooner buy a Stihl, Husqvarna, Jonsered, Echo, or Dolmar...

To the best of my knowledge, all of the Deere saws were Italian. The dropping of the Deere line of saws was a multi faceted scenario. John Deere has a national partnership to carry Stihl in it's stores and Efco reorganized. Lot of their distribution about the same time.

If Husky and Stihl are both in the area Jonsered or Dolmar would be a better choice to carry. If it's an option.?.

Autocorrect is really pissin me off.......
He carried Dolmar for awhile. I got a 350 from him and love it. He dropped them because they wouldn't let him "deal" for any kind of price breaks.

To the best of my knowledge, all of the Deere saws were Italian. The dropping of the Deere line of saws was a multi faceted scenario. John Deere has a national partnership to carry Stihl in it's stores and Efco reorganized. Lot of their distribution about the same time.
Actually, Deere also had Echo make saws for them. I just parted one out.

A lot of mixing up on info here in this thread. I hope to be of some help.

Echo = Shindaiwa is a strictly japanese company. Parent company is Yamabiko.

Efco = Oleo Mac is a strictly italien company. Parent company is Emak.

They are two totally different companies!

Product quality is very good with both. As usual dependent on the level of the class (home owner, farmer and pro class). I have two pro saws from Oleo Mac (25cc TH= GS260 and a 62cc = 962) and I have had a home owner (38cc = GS 350) saw. I am/was happy with all of them. The 962 is a older design but a real powerhorse and I wouldn't be afraid to run it against any other 60cc class saw.
At the moment Efco doesn't have to many newer developments. Most are about a decade old. The newest larger saw the 6500 is more a farmer class saw. The mistake they made was use aluminum as crankcase material instead of magnesium. That would have reduced the weight somewhat. The smaller 40cc saws I find quite good. But most of the larger equipment isn't all too recent improvement.

On the other hand Echo has constantly improved on their equipment up to the 60cc class. They have excellent deals at the moment for the advanced homeowner.

Back