File-o-plate instafan!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a problem with the angels, its the keeping the file 20 percent above the cutter.or controling the hook, for this the FOP gets it. I don't give lessons but a certain amout of wood has to be cut or the house and water gets cold as wood is my only heat and has been for a very long time.

Chevytown 13

Hello Rick
Just got in, I have had a bit of a day but my email alerted me to the thread.I see you made the video,I will watch it tomorrow.Many Thanks for doing that.Anything concerning sharpening chains is good for this newbie and have been getting good advice from several members here.I just feel that somehow I may have upset your thread a bit.Sorry
Lawrence

I believe these are the ones discussed and pictured recently in another thread. This is PN 505 69 81-01

Depth_gauges_H410-0354_large.jpg

Brad the reason I like the FOP is its easy to carry and has a lot of features. you got a hole for the file size , a guage for the cutter lenghts a progressive raker guage with a soft and hard wood setting and it works good for cleaning the bar. I,m sure there are other tools out there but this is the best one I've found

Chevytown, it's good to see that you're doing some chain work. The file o plate looks to be a good tool, but it appears that there is no adjustment, you can only do what the plate tells you. Here's how i set depth guages, with a piece of glass and feeler guages. This way you can pick if want your rakers set at .020, .025, .030, whatever works best...........you want the glass to cover at least 3 cutters......

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks bro. I had to take it seriously when I saw the Bailey's catalog photo. I thought to myself, now is the time to start taking this seriously and take the chain back to factory cutters. Some fast cutting with longevity.

Square is a different ball game. I'm not ready for it, but am looking forward to it. Race chain, I won't be ready for a long time. But am eager to learn through the process. And it's basic right now. But a must.

Hello Rick
Just got in, I have had a bit of a day but my email alerted me to the thread.I see you made the video,I will watch it tomorrow.Many Thanks for doing that.Anything concerning sharpening chains is good for this newbie and have been getting good advice from several members here.I just feel that somehow I may have upset your thread a bit.Sorry
Lawrence

No worries Lawrence. It's all good. Just people having some fun.

Like Metals says, threads have no boundaries. I'm just glad we can use the fop's:dizzy:

My new anthem, A sharp chain.

You're welcome Bob.
Good luck with your woodworking article.
Woodworking is a favorite past time of mine. Love them versatile routers:cheers:

I have a question about the FOP.

In this picture it's pretty clear what is going on but am I correct in assuming that the FOP indentation pointed to by the bright red arrow is tucked in hard up against the back of the adjacent cutter?

attachment.php

Hmm, I just measured some rakers after sharpening a Carlton A2EP chain and with a cutter length of approx. 7.3mm the depth gauges are now at 0.023-0.024" (and sorry for mixing SI and Imperial)

A few more views of the FOP including two section/side views to see the angle the FOP sits at when filing depth gauges.

Bob, I don't have any fresh Carlton chain to measure the original distance from the base of the leading cutter to the top of the following cutter, but the Windsor and Stihl chain I have is 28.3mm and 29.1mm respectively.
That Carlton chain in the photos now measures approx. 31mm from the same points.

Last edited:
37509 is the #on the plate for round chisel.37504 for semi. both of these are .375 plates. I,m not holding on any .325 stuff but it won't be a problem too find. Oh, the 3/8 low profile plate is 36504 I,m pretty sure I can go look or someone can correct me

Thanks for that. So 37504 should be the closest for Stihl RSC then.

Edit: 37504 is the 35 degree one. 37509 is the 30 degree which would match RSC

Last edited:
Thanks for that. So 37504 should be the closest for Stihl RSC then.

I don't think it will work.

I use the 37509 on RMC, but actually haven't tried it on the loop of RSC I have, so I just grabbed the chain and a spare bar and tried it and the rakers are offset too far each way for the FOP to sit down over the chain properly for cutter filing. It looks like it'll work ok for the depth gauges though.

Last edited:
Nope, the 37509 works better on RMC, it has the correct top plate angle, although I use the 37504 for the depth gauges, mainly as I'm cutting hardwood. The 37509 plate will give a more aggressive raker depth.

Sorry, I was just going by what J.W Younger had in his post. I would also like to grab a couple of these fop's. So your help with the correct model # for chain is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back