15 year old Standing Dead Elm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This tree has been standing dead for 15 years, latest wind finally knocked her down, good firewood score.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Love them when they are barkless like that.

Cutting pal calls em "bonewood" from appearances or "yuppiewood" because so well seasoned and so easy to keep stoves running with, when both high powered professional parents get home from work.

Good score buy the looks of the rounds it was a good size tree. I love burning elm , I must have two cords in the basement right now with about a cord left to split outside.

Beefie

P.S. sent a little rep your way:hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
tons of it dead around here from dutch elm disease. Every hedge row and field edge has several unless they have already been cleared out. Great to go find one or two when the snow starts piling up and bring it home on the sled. Dont have to go treking through the woods.

when the dutch elm disease went through here, the govn't paid the farmers by the tree to slash and burn all their trees, like $5 a tree. a few years later the farmers where buying logs because they had burnt all their elm. how retarded was that

I felled a 24"DBH dead standing Red Elm last spring. Like yours, all the bark was off. I ended up with a short 4 cords that went straight from the splitter to the woodshed. It has been keeping us warm so far but, once in a while I do hear a little sizzle when I throw in a piece from the lower part of the trunk.

when the dutch elm disease went through here, the govn't paid the farmers by the tree to slash and burn all their trees, like $5 a tree. a few years later the farmers where buying logs because they had burnt all their elm. how retarded was that

hey, retarded is what government _does_.

reminds me that i've got an elm to clean up from a year ago...should be getting splittable now.

red elm--don't think i've had the pleasure.

Last edited:
Back