346XP @ 15K or 260 @ 14,500K

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bookerdog

bookerdog

The New Champ
Hardly a realistic draw between two cars that are not at all in the same class and two saws that are very much in the same class, but if you like how it works for you...

Gets pretty tough to cut 16 inch wood with a 16 inch bar, would have though that would have hurt the time a lot, How did you cut the 24 inch wood with the 16 inch bar?

Realy got to put the same chain setup on each saw and try it before it means anything.

It does not surprise me that a substantially modified ~ 50 cc saw cuts close to a ~ 70 cc bone stock. Output and displacement are pretty closely tied together the 372 has 50% extra on the CC count, but a muffler mod can net a quick 20% and a decent port job another 20-25% compounded together gives a 50% boost to the smaller saw. Lots of variables though with chain, wood size and gearing. Usually smaller ported revers clean up bigger stockers in small wood, but start to loose ground if pushed into a big log where bigger saws have the torque advantage.

If you knew how to cut a 24 inch. Why did you ask me?

bookerdog

bookerdog

The New Champ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HvY0Ext9cM

Hope this works. Just got 26 seconds thats all my camera would allow me without a highspeed sds card. New to this camera and video stuff. I got only about 17 or 18 sec of the cut. This is one little moving 346. The fir by this time is 25 to 27 inch. I did have to go to the other side to finish the cut on this one.

Last edited:
ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
It's amazing that the 026 Sthil steps into the ring with about everything the Husky engineers could get under the hood. *1 The 026 is what, old enough to drink?

If a person took a look at what the 026 has cut so far in trainloads of wood, it will take a tremendous amount of time for the 346XP to catch up in truck loads.

My money would be on the WHS 026!

*1: "Husqvarna 346XP is among our new generation of professional saws and have been developed based on the latest technological advances." http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/

RiverRat2

RiverRat2

Serio Tree Freak
It's amazing that the 026 Sthil steps into the ring with about everything the Husky engineers could get under the hood. *1 The 026 is what, old enough to drink?

If a person took a look at what the 026 has cut so far in trainloads of wood, it will take a tremendous amount of time for the 346XP to catch up in truck loads.

*1: "Husqvarna 346XP is among our new generation of professional saws and have been developed based on the latest technological advances." http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/

Jeepers!!!!!! Now thats purty good example there Shoer!!!!

bookerdog

bookerdog

The New Champ
Just wanted to thank dean at washington pro saws. He did a great job on the 346. Looking forward to the next saw he does for me. It sure is tough to run stock saw after you have ran modded saws.

IchWarriorMkII

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Just wanted to thank dean at washington pro saws. He did a great job on the 346. Looking forward to the next saw he does for me. It sure is tough to run stock saw after you have ran modded saws.

Im glad you like it, I have a 353 thats going to be in his hands very soon.

makes me feel a bit better:rockn:

Erick

Erick

Addicted to ArboristSite

Yeup!!!!!

bookerdog

bookerdog

The New Champ

Yes and its still amazing that the 372 still steps in the ring with the 441 and on and on.

klickitatsacket

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens
It makes me happy to know that you like your saw Bookerdog. I liked this saw as much as you do I think. You need to get some real chain on it though and see what she does. Good video to BTW. I do not kn ow if any one else noticed but I did. That saw was moving that safety chain through that log awfully fast.

klickitatsacket

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens
I havn't. I personally am not a big fan of the Dolmars modified. I like them as a stock saw but have not found the torque in them like I do with the Stihl 036. I have not done a 353 in a long time and because things have progressed around here from when I did do one it would not be fair for me to compare it to anything. When ich gets it back though it would be good for him to do a review on the site here for every one else to see.

IchWarriorMkII

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
I'll be sure to post up a review, it will be my first modded saw so Im probably not the most keen of experts... but Im going to order a 20" B&C and some non safety chain for it to give a more accurate picture of what the saw will do.

Ill also throw the 18" B&C and chain that was on it before I shipped it out to do a comparison... hard since it will be a few weeks since I last run it, but I think I've got a decent idea on what it was doing before.

sperho

sperho

ArboristSite Operative
Playing around with some of my audio software after seeing an ingenius idea (a duh, why didn't I think of that sort of one) proffered by dbabcock in a tach thread. I was shopping for a tach, then he went off and proposed the obvious: audio frequency analysis. It turns out that one of my hobbies is phonography (recording random stuff) and I have a full version of CoolEdit that does frequency analysis. So, playing the audio track from a digital video allows me to measure with what I believe to be reasonable accuracy the frequency of a saw's power pulses and thus RPM (multiply frequency in Hz by 60) of a saw by analyzing the audio waveform.

Stihl Crazy's video showed the first saw (346 EHP) maxing out at 13,200 out of the cut right before wood entry and in the cut, it was turning around 8,700.

The second saw (260 KRS) maxed out before wood entry at around 12,000 and in the cut, ran around 9,660.

So, assuming equal sharpness and similar pressure in the wood (hard to control), the 260 HAD to win because more cuts per second were occuring. The same force into wood is key here.

In both videos, I "looked" at 1 second windows of time over the course of the cut, looking for the approximate steady-state frequency to find the in-the-cut RPMs. The out of the cut RPMs (measured just before wood entry) are almost certainly not the max-RPM of the saws, because the videos weren't taken for tuning purposes, but to record a cutting session. (i.e. Not many people let their saw spool to maximum RPM and wait a second before starting a cut.) The precison of this method is about +/- 150 RPM because of the width of the primary frequency peak in the power spectrum of the audio track. That's plenty good for practical saw tuning in my opinion, but racers would probably be better served by a precision tachometer.

I would be VERY interested in someone posting a video of a few tuning runs and have them post it, withholding what their measured RPMs were. Then, I could analyze the sound and check my technique in a "blind" sort of way and see how they compared to a tachometer's measurement. Anyone up to the challenge?? I'm going to start a new thread with a reference to this post so that a broader audience reads this buried post.

While I used a full-blown audio editing package, I'm convinced that some freeware or very cheap shareware would be out there to allow this type of RPM measurement to be easily performed by anyone with a laptop handy...

Last edited:

Latest posts