Echo 500 saw recall

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackoak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an old Echo 500VL that falls in the recall campaign. I emailed Echo and they called me the next day and told me to take it to my nearest Echo dealer and they would replace it with a new saw. They gave me the name of the nearest dealer to me. The next day I go there with the saw and tell them what Echo said and they looked at me like I was nuts and I can't blame them. I mean someone comes in with an at least 25 year old saw and wanting a new one, I would do the same thing. Anyway the dealer said he would check into it. It has been two weeks and I called and he said that his division rep has not gotten back with him. Has anyone taken part in this recall campaign? If so what did you have to do to get the saw replaced? By the way I did a search on this site and thats how I found out about the recall and the problem with the flywheel coming apart and doing major damage to body parts.

500vl

Hey Blackoak, I have the same saw and was warned about that recall also. can't remember who told me about it though. I have yet to run mine as I am still looking for a clutch side cover and a couple of the anti vibration rubbers. I have my doubts about that recall but it will be interesting to find out what happens. I have two Echo dealers locally and will check with them........Bob

I'm sure there was a recall on these saws, but after 25 years i didn't know if they were still exchanging your old saw for a new one. I guess if it was dangerous to use back then it would still be today. Maybe I should email Echo and get more information about this. You can't really expect a dealer to know this unless he has been in business for a long time and has a good memory. I don't think that there were alot of these saws involved in the recall before they fixed the problem.

I wonder how many people read this thread and hit Ebay to find the old saw ? HA Too late ...........

carvinmark said:
I like Echo, But that makes you wonder...
This was a saw made at least 25 years ago and it was just on the early model 500 VL or EVL saws. Echo makes a good saw. I have never has any problems with their saws. From what I can find on it, I don't think that there were alot of people hurt by these saw, but I guess enough for them to recall them and make good on the early 500's that had the problems. You have nothing to worry about unless you are running a very low serial numbered 500 with a push button air cleaner cover. If it has a screw knob holding the cover on it's safe.

recall

Why didn't you print a copy of the recall and take it to the dealer with you??? Give the dealer the phone number you called and the name of the guy you talked to so he can call them. It goes a lot faster if you force the dealer to start up the chain and work back down to his rep.
Then again you could have asked the guy you talked to, to call your dealer, and explian it to the dealer for you. That way when you got to the dealer's he would not be clueless.

geofore said:
Why didn't you print a copy of the recall and take it to the dealer with you??? Give the dealer the phone number you called and the name of the guy you talked to so he can call them. It goes a lot faster if you force the dealer to start up the chain and work back down to his rep.
Then again you could have asked the guy you talked to, to call your dealer, and explian it to the dealer for you. That way when you got to the dealer's he would not be clueless.
I didn't have the recall to copy until Ray posted it in the previous post. I didn't call anybody. I emailed Echo, they called me and told me the nearest dealer to take it to for replacement. You are correct. I should have had Echo to call the dealer they said to take it to and let them know what was going on. I will get a copy of the recall that Ray posted to the dealer in the morning.

I Checked!

I checked with both Echo dealers in my area ( Springfield & Eugene Oregon ) and neither had ever heard of it. I also checked the serial number on my saw and it falls into the "bomb" class however I just won another on ebay that has the better numbers and I will probally use that one as the basis for a nice 50cc Echo.
My personal opinion of this thing is that it is about equal in validity to getting money from Bill Gates through the internet.......Bob

The recall is still valid on the 500vl.
A local dealer replaced one just last year. The owner came in looking to buy a piston and rings for it as he seized it on straight gas.
This was a non running saw and it was still replaced under the recall.

Farley9n said:
I checked with both Echo dealers in my area ( Springfield & Eugene Oregon ) and neither had ever heard of it. I also checked the serial number on my saw and it falls into the "bomb" class however I just won another on ebay that has the better numbers and I will probally use that one as the basis for a nice 50cc Echo.
My personal opinion of this thing is that it is about equal in validity to getting money from Bill Gates through the internet.......Bob
Tell your dealers to contact Echo. They will verify this. I got home from work today and had a voice mail from the Echo dealer and was told to bring the saw in and they would have to send it to Echo and that the saw would be replaced. He didn't say what model and they had done went home for evening by the time I got the message to find out.
Bill Gates must be feeling generous tonight. :biggrinbounce2:

I Could be Wrong & Like It!

I will be back into town later this week ( Wed. or Thursday if my Solo part gets in) and then recheck with the shops. This time I will have the paper work. Thanks Blackoak & Gatkeper1. This could be fun..........Bob

Latest posts

Back