Stihl Axe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJLOGGER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
:D I am thinking about buying a new Stihl chopping axe, I chop wood and have broke several cheap axes and was wondering about the steel in the head and the handle, I would appreciate any feedback.:blob2:

Just 2 days ago I had logger one in line to buy 2 of the PA30 stihl axes for his buddies.

I was talking to him about them, me having never used one had some questions. He said the only thing they are not good for is wedging.
Then logger 2 gets in line right behind him and says the same thing.

Surprised me for sure !

They are sharp, very sharp.

i have one and they are VERY SHARP!!!! i accedentally niped my thumb with it just barely touched the blade and it cut me to the bone!! i still can't feel my thumb when it gets below 40 outside:rolleyes: i have to disagree about them not wedeging well, thats what i use to drive all my wedges. you can beat the he11 out of it and the handle just won't break:)

You can find the exact same axe under the manufacturer; Gerber. Fiskars came up with the axe in the late 1980s - Fiskars and Gerber have since merged and they sell their product to Stihl. Its exactly the same product - just without the "Stihl" name on it.

If its the axe I have seen, dont buy it. Its more like an axe then a maul and is useless. It's biggest drawback is the short ass handle, definately an ankle bighter! A maul should have a 36" handle and nothing else unless you are a midget. Trust me, with a short handle, your gonna wear it in the shin.
John

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
i have one and they are VERY SHARP!!!! i accedentally niped my thumb with it just barely touched the blade and it cut me to the bone!! i still can't feel my thumb when it gets below 40 outside:rolleyes: i have to disagree about them not wedeging well, thats what i use to drive all my wedges. you can beat the he11 out of it and the handle just won't break:)

I was talkin about the small head on it.

Try wedging a 40" tree that wants to go the other way. Thats when you really hit it :D

axe inventory

madsens1.com has a good inventory of axes and hatchets and more, all logger quality I bought one recently from them and am very pleased with it.............they should have all you need for chopping, and different length handles too :)

Stihl vs. Fiskars Axes

My research indicates that Stihls PA40 Axe (their biggest) is the same as Fiskars 1400 or #7853 (their next-to-biggest). There is also the Fiskars 2400 or #7854 which is about 5" longer at 28.5" (and heavier, I think) than Stihl's PA40. FWIW, Gerber does not carry an equivalent splitting axe, only the lighter, camp-style axes.

Last edited:
i have the 28.5 inch model . its a fine tool but ill have to say u better swing correctly with it or u realy mite hit the leg. the head should always come dn strait horizontal on impact. with a twist if u are into that..

PA40 a good choice

I bought the PA 40 , and stihl also has one for felling, it is just like the PA 40 without the ears on it, I used it some an am pleased with it, it cost just over 50.00 in my area, the dealer said I has a replacement guarantee, if ever I broke it which would be hard to do, as for wedging it has a down side but will do the job , it is a excellent axe

bruiser ,i like the pt about the pictures on beer cans. the difference is we are desperately trying to find the kids.
with husbands ,i suspect its more a takeum or leaveum deal. probably rather leaveum.:)

Fiskars 7859

After reading all the praise regarding the Fiskars axes I drove 40 miles through freezing rain last night, to the nearest Lowes to get one. By all appearances, the 7853 and 7854 are obsolete numbers in the supply chain or for some odd reason Fiskars labels the models for Lowes differently. The axes and mauls at Lowes look exactly like the ones shown on the Fiskars website and they carry the same warranty. I also made note that Fiskars has changed model numbers at least twice since the introduction of these tools so my assumption seems reasonable to me. They had a very nice, well stocked display for the Fiskars axes, and the prices are good also. I bought the 7859 which is the largest they had to offer and seems to match the decription of the 7854, 28 3/8" and 4.5# for $35 + tax. Internet price is around $50. Now for the review: Between last night and this afternoon I split about 4 face cord of various hardwoods with the Fiskars and the other mauls I own(except the infamous Chopper 1) which include a Collins Rapid Maul w/4.5# head and 36" fiberglass handle, 6# maul with 36" fiberglass handle, and an 8# maul with 36" wood handle. I split an assortment of ash, hickory, beech, maple, elm, and locust. With straight grained woods like the hickory and ash, the Fiskars worked as well as any of them, even in some roughly 40" ash I had, just whittle around the outside. If however you want to split maple, elm, or locust, forget this thing, it just bounces off most of the time, although I did stick the head a couple of times. Sometimes swinging harder seems logical but it didn`t help. For most of the tougher wood the Rapid Maul and the 6#er were pretty equal with the 6 having a slight edge in what it will split, but the Rapid Maul is less tiring to use. There were several pieces that I was unable to split with anything but the 8# maul or a saw. I always worked my way up on the tougher ones with the different mauls to establish the threshold at which they would break. The Fiskars maul has a nice feel and it seems it would make a pretty nice axe for wedging with the larger head. Even with the flared head, it will cut dirty bark off just like an axe, and the short handle is nice if you carry your wedging axe on your back in a pouch, it doesn`t stick up too much and the center of balance is all low so it would stay put. The short handle is a handicap for splitting. Seems to me that the increased head speed from a longer handle would be a benefit, maybe helping it split tougher rounds, and you do need a higher chopping block to work this maul which makes more work to get the rounds up for the split. All in all it`s a nice tool and I like using it, but if I`m going out in the bush where I don`t want to carry more than one maul for splitting, it`s staying home. Sorry about the long windedness, just wanted to give a thorough review. Russ

jokers,

I very much appreciate that particular long-windedness.

Thank you.

Glen

Love it

Let me start by saying that I am no lumberjack, just the average home fire place log splitter. I bought a half cord of Oak here and used this axe/splitter for the first time and loved it. I am 5'8" and about 180lbs; to me it is perfect whether hitting off the chopping block or on the ground. I love the weight and the lack of vibration with the OCCASIONAL mis-calculated whack. I have a regualr (Brand?) 8# splitter and this Fiskars axe works much better for me. I think it has a lot to do with the edge they have on it. I thought I would start with my old splitter and moved to the new one due to frustration of the head sticking and having to waste energy with sledge. What is your opinion?

As stated before, sorry for the long feedback but I am also thourough.

I have a fiscar splitting axe and that thing is about bullet proof. I Have yet to break it I am pretty sure that fiscar is the same as the stihl ones. I know the fiscar has a lifetime warratee that is the reason I bought it. I have bought to many cheap ones that th ehead flew off and I was afraid that I would hurt someone or something. The fiscar splits pretty well and is light to. It is one of the better axes I have used.

Those Fiskar hatchets and axes aren't intended for splitting wood the- reason the fancy plastic handle wraps around the head is so there is no way the head can fly off and kill your buddy when you are wailin away on your wedge. This is a Worker's Comp law some places (BC for sure). Otherwise they require you to have to drill a hole through the head and the handle and put a bolt in there.
Anyways the last axe you want to split anything is a Fiskar's. As far as a wedging axe a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 lb. with a longish handle works best for me. Heavier is better for tipping the big wood, but it gets on your nerves lugging a 5 lb axe in your belt all day. Keep the axe in a bucket of water (or even better the spare room toilet) and the head will never fly off. Also keep that sucker really sharp for that bad, bad day when you pinch 'er and you forget the extra bar, bust your last wedge, and your other saw is a mile downhill.

Reply to Russ

Now Russ, to put those heavy axes and mauls into perspective; "How big are you?" Cause I'm not only old; but, a lightweight too. ;) Tom

Latest posts

Back