What other uses for a chainsaw powerhead?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've seen chainsaw powered bikes, motorcycles, gokarts.

A common tool is the capstan winch.

There was an electric generator here recently.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=148049

What other applications have you seen? Or read of?

I'm surprised I haven't found commercial generator kits designed to just swap your B&C off your saw and hook it to a generator platform to run as your camp generator.

Last edited:
McCulloch had an ice auger. I'd like to have one, even though I'm a Homelite guy.

How about weapon? :)

Just a story I remembered from a younger, wilder age.

It was crazy. But I was at a little party one time. This crazy buddy of mine whos always starting fights with people, I mean, all the time being a redneck, gets into it with this other dude over something stupid. The guy is wanting to bet him all his money that he has more cash in his wallet than the other guy. Stupid, right?
Well the redneck friend of mine actually wins the bet but the other guy don't want to pay up. So he jerks a knife on my buddy. Buddy is like "oh sheit" ya know. Well he picks up a chainsaw and pulls it a couple times. Of course he's drunk and doesnt even choke the saw and it dont start. So he just raises it above his head and brings it down on this dudes skull. Lays him out, and runs out the door and is gone. LMAO. I hope you guysare picturing it like it was because it was funny as all get out.
Pulls the cord like three times, then just rears back and drills him with the bar over the head and then drops it and runs.

I
I'm surprised I haven't found commercial generator kits designed to just swap your B&C off your saw and hook it to a generator platform to run as your camp generator.

the problem with that is you have to have a governor of some sort to keep at
the correct speed, to get the 60hz and that small of a generator would have to relay on speed for correct voltage as well it would be a peach to get it to run right plus a you would have to gear it down alot the maximum it could spin it 3600rpm's.
can you tell i wrench on generators.

also off topic, if anyone needs the a repair manual for generac standby's let me know what you need and i'll put in to pdf format and i'l email you

How about a Weedeater powerhead?

The flex shaft in my Weedeater gave up and replacement is NLA. The powerhead is pristine and I hate to pitch it. 1/4" square female drive.

Direct drive a AC Delco alternator (12 v). ???

Last edited:
Seen this in the ebay/craigslist thread.

88 CC Husqvarna airplane engine with aluminum spinner. Several airplanes, radios and supplies available.

Please call Dave before 9pm Thanks!
1-978-772-xxxx Home
1-978-501-xxxx Cell
Keywords, Airplanes, Airplane, Planes, Plane, RC, Remote control, Engines, Engine, Hobby, Radio, Jets, Jet, Biplanes, Biplane, Bipes, Trainers, Trainer, Aerobatic, 4 stroke, 2 stroke, kits, arf, rtf.
3kd3mb3l95V65W55R0abe358796f0f21e1bb0.jpg

3nf3md3oa5Y25Z15T0abe6b90e3dcf17a1a74.jpg

Direct drive a AC Delco alternator (12 v). ???

it could work i would wounder how long the bearings are going to last and the chainsaw it's attached to

i've seen a demo where they loaded up an alternator, you could not trun the shaft with your hand
it takes about 2hp to drive a 80 amp alternator and that dose not include the loss it takes to spin it

my take on it go to HF and buy one of the $119 900watt 2-stroke gensets, one guy that has one says that he put a 25 gal. tank on it so he only refills it every other day. the only time he turned it off in the last two years was to let it dry out after falling off the dock. plus i think they have a 12 volt output too

Last edited:
A good few years ago when Micro Light aircraft were starting to appear, a friend who was somewhat strapped for cash, converted & modified IIRC a MAC 125 to power a hang glider. I think it was frowned on by the aviation powers that be, but at that time there were no Regs covering the motor type. it was quite successful IIRC .he later converted to fixed wing micro light flying

Well since i am a beloved Echo CS-60S guy here is a 60 powered scooter a guy in NZ made. I also have a 60S concrete chop saw. I have a post hole digger attachment for my CS-302 as well as the hedge cutter...Bob

In the case of Husqvarnas*... boat anchor!! :D

* (replace with brand of your choice here)

Latest posts

Back