Got a huge problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale.Z

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Got a huge problem but I know somebody on this forum has either already or could figure it out.

New wood burner here (me) and kind of did things a little backasswards. I have cut / split and stacked a great deal of wood before deciding on which wood insert to get. Thought best to get it seasoned while saving up for the heater.
Well finally got my new fireplace insert installed but all the wood I cut is to BIG!

So now I am trying to figure out some type of jig that I could use to cut several pieces of wood at one time to trim them down to size.

I have done a lot of stupid things in my life but this one is ranking close to the top ten list of whish you could do over things. :cry:

Any ideas?

Most of it is cut to about 21 to 22 inches. I need them to be about 18 to 19 inches.

I was thinking of that same thread but for the life of me would not have been able to find it (I really suck at using this site's search function).

Thanks for dredging up that old chestnut!

I get a fair amount of pre-split wood for free or real cheap at moving sales (they don't want/can't to take it with them). A lot of the times, it's too long for my firebox.

Too bad for the OP having to go through the extra step of shortening. But if too long firewood makes his top 10 dumbest things, he's doing okay in the grander scheme of things. :cheers:

I was thinking of that same thread but for the life of me would not have been able to find it (I really suck at using this site's search function).

Thanks for dredging up that old chestnut!

I get a fair amount of pre-split wood for free or real cheap at moving sales (they don't want/can't to take it with them). A lot of the times, it's too long for my firebox.

Too bad for the OP having to go through the extra step of shortening. But if too long firewood makes his top 10 dumbest things, he's doing okay in the grander scheme of things. :cheers:

i would have never found it lol.

i would have never found it lol.

There's gotta be a thread somewhere that gives good advice on how to make optimal use of the search feature. But damned if I'd ever find it.

I did use the search function to search "search." All I got were hits of folks being told to use the search feature - or else others apologizing, prefacing a question by saying, "I tried a search but got nothing on..."

can you angle the wood in the box to make it fit? Sometimes when Im going to be around I will throw a couple of the long ones in at an angle when I can get back to it and dont have to fill it up.

Welcome to wood heat...!

Be sure to check out the thread that bore pig linked in his response and you'll find some really good info there. A lot of us have run into that very same problem and that link will show you how I and and few others have dealt with it. If you come up with an easier solution let us know:D

You don't have a Big Problem as long as you have dry wood going into Winter.They make chainsaws for a reason! I had the same problem when I acquired a little Jotul that wanted 12" wood.I had an old oak timber that I screwed 4 1x4's to.With this arrangement, the whole pile sat on the timber and I simply sawed between the 1x4's.You can sure stuff a stove with those little 'wood grenades".

Well finally got my new fireplace insert installed but all the wood I cut is to BIG!

I have done a lot of stupid things in my life but this one is ranking close to the top ten list of whish you could do over things. :cry:

Any ideas?

I think you've done enough stupid things for one season. Best thing you can do is scrap it all and start over. I hate to see this happen to a decent guy like yourself, so I'll tell you what - I'll come over and help you load all the wood onto my truck to get it out of your way. (I'll take it home and try and find a good use for it.) :laugh:

Latest posts

Back