Is this a good deal? Used Stihl MS-441 - $500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grfi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This showed up on Craigslist over the weekend. Is it a good deal? What should I look for if I decide to check it out?

Thanks,
Nick

Stihl MS-441 Magnum chainsaw - $500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selling my two year old Stihl MS 441 to buy something bigger. Great saw, awesome power, but it has met more than it's match for the 2-3 foot diameter trees I'm turning into firewood. It comes with an 18" Oilomatic ES bar, newer Stihl RSC chain (3/8" 0.050), and lightly modded muffler :) Always run on premium gas at 40:1 mixed with Stihl lubricants. Price is firm, contact me if interested in seeing it.

3k03o23p95Tb5Sd5R59b7cccc6d1c74bc17eb.jpg

It could be. Check the manufacture date although its probably not that old and look at general condition obviously. If you have a compression tester ask if you can use it or just hold the starter rope and let the saw down. If it doesn't move or hesitates well after each turn of the crank it should be good. Bring a flashlight and look through the spark plug hole if you can to check any scoring on the exhaust side and anywhere else you can see. If you can pop the muffler off and also look through carb to check piston condition. Finally, cut with it!

Thanks guys. I once heard an old timer say if he's buying something used, he won't pay more than 1/2 the cost of buying it new. Sounds like we're a ways off here.

Thanks guys. I once heard an old timer say if he's buying something used, he won't pay more than 1/2 the cost of buying it new. Sounds like we're a ways off here.

Thats not a totally crazy way to think about it tho. Here they sell new for $800 with a 20" B&C. $500 is close to 60% of that. It just depends on how new, use and condition. $500 could be a steal if it has few hours on it.

Thats not a totally crazy way to think about it tho. Here they sell new for $800 with a 20" B&C. $500 is close to 60% of that. It just depends on how new, use and condition. $500 could be a steal if it has few hours on it.

$800 with 20 in bar seems right. More if you go to a 25 in. bar. $500 doesn't seem unreasonable for a good working saw
bob

I found out some more details. The guy lives 45 minutes from me so I'm trying to get more details before I drive out to look at it. He wants to upgrade to a big ol' 660.

Sounds like it's been used quite a bit in two years of operation and has some minor cosmetic imperfections.

If the compression reads OK, I think this may be worth going to check out, right fellas? He says $500 firm, but it's worth offering a little less.

Here is the guy's reply to me:

----- Forwarded Message ----
Sent: Mon, November 9, 2009 6:26:40 PM
Subject: Re: Stihl MS-441 Magnum chainsaw

Thanks for the interest, I'm kinda half heartedly selling because I love it's balance and it's the best saw I've ever owned bar none, but the 660 magnum should save me more time yet cutting the 2-4' diameter trees I'm running into now.

I'd have to guess the saw has been through about 50-60 cords of wood thus far, and I'll be sure to get some pictures and a compression test for you tomorrow once it gets light out. It's in excellent condition save a few scrapes, a little dent by the pull start, and a crack in the rear lower rubber grommet vibration reduction gizmo (no idea what it's actually called).

If the pics and compression test are to your liking, you may gladly come out and cut some cookies with it to try before you buy.

My uncle has a ms-290 farmboss he likes really well, but he cuts maybe a 1/2 cord a year with it. There were were quite a few parts around the bar mount he was scratching his head about though when I was cleaning my saw a while back because his parts were plastic and mine were metal.

I'll email you in the morning with pictures and a compression test.

First of all if the guy posts on CL I'm surprised if he's not reading here.
Second - I can understand wanting a 660 for 4' DBH trees. But why get rid of a good 441? Unless he has another one.

I've been following CL and Ebay saw prices since about May. Prices seemed lower during the summer.
Google and you get:
Last Dec:
BRAND NEW CHAINSAW WITH WARRANTY. STIHL MS 441 THIS IS NOT A TOY THIS IS PROFESSIONAL SAW. COMES WITH NEW SAW CASE. 3 NEW 20 INCH CHAINS. AND ONE 20 INCH BAR. SPARE AIR FILTER. AND TOOL KIT. $675

recent:
Stihl MS441 Magnum Chainsaw 24" - $549 (kansas city)

/edit - note that before I filled out my 3 saws I wanted a 441, now I'm thinking 660 or husky equivalent.

So it seems like a good price.

Last edited:
Thanks for reassuring me. I think I'll take a drive and see the 441 for myself.

It sounds like the guy is being pretty honest and open with you. I think it would be worth the drive and time. I would definetely be thourough when looking over the saw, regardless.

Some more info this morning:

He tested compression and first got 90 psi. His gauge wasn't working correctly. A second test on a new gauge showed 120 psi, which is on the low end of acceptable, right? I'm not sure how accurate his readings are, but he did get 120 psi on a new gauge at WOT. He also says he can hang the saw from the starter handle and it doesn't drop. That is a good sign.

Any new thoughts? I'm thinking about going tonight with cash in hand.

Some more info this morning:

He tested compression and first got 90 psi. His gauge wasn't working correctly. A second test on a new gauge showed 120 psi, which is on the low end of acceptable, right? I'm not sure how accurate his readings are, but he did get 120 psi on a new gauge at WOT. He also says he can hang the saw from the starter handle and it doesn't drop. That is a good sign.

Any new thoughts? I'm thinking about going tonight with cash in hand.

Go to advanced auto or autozone and buy a $25 compression tester with a shrader valve of your own. 120 is low on that saw, but the seller may not have the correct gauge. Also pull the muffler and have a look at the piston and cyclinder.

The part about 120psi at WOT doesn't make sense and yes 120 is low. Get your own comp tester like suggested and take a flashlight so you can look in the cylinder when you have the spark plug out for any scoring on the exhaust port or anywhere else you can see. If you can, pull the muffler to look at piston condition. Ask him what oil and gas he uses and what mix ratio. I am pretty sure the guy who owns this saw has posted another thread here about getting a 650 or 660. Hes got a 441 with an 18" bar that he wants to get rid of and he is in Michigan.

I am pretty sure the guy who owns this saw has posted another thread here about getting a 650 or 660. Hes got a 441 with an 18" bar that he wants to get rid of and he is in Michigan.

Now you've got me curious. I've been searching trying to find this thread but so far, no luck.

So 120 psi is too low? If the saw hung while held by the starter handle, would you guess that the 120 reading is wrong?

If it was me. I would pass on the saw. Seems like a decent saw, but I've seen too many MS440 and MS 460's for the same or less. But I don't know what the use saw market is in your area.

The seller seems like a good honest guy though. I don't think I have any worries about buying for him. Reminds me of myself in his description. Nit-picks his own saw. Which I know has cost me a sale or two, but I rather make sure the new owner know what he's getting.

Back