Is this a good deal? Used Stihl MS-441 - $500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now you've got me curious. I've been searching trying to find this thread but so far, no luck.

So 120 psi is too low? If the saw hung while held by the starter handle, would you guess that the 120 reading is wrong?

The thread is "Stihl 650 or 660" about halfway down the page. I was going to ask him if this was him selling it. 120 is low it should be up around 150 maybe more. The 140 -150 range could be acceptable too if you can get a good look at the internals. Its hard to say how accurate the pull cord method is. It is worth the $25 to get a comp tester and also look at the exhaust port through the spark plug hole while you've got it out with a flashlight.

Now you've got me curious. I've been searching trying to find this thread but so far, no luck.

So 120 psi is too low? If the saw hung while held by the starter handle, would you guess that the 120 reading is wrong?

Here's the link.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=114704

The compression does seem low, but I don't know if I woud completely trust his gage.

I have a 2100 that will not move a bit on the drop test and will rip you arm off when it bites, but it blows a 130 on my tester.
All my saws read low on this tester. Yes it does have the valve in the correct place. It work fine when I first got it.

Yup, I just read that thread and it sounds like the same guy. He's probably been following along on this thread the whole time!

:)

Yup, I just read that thread and it sounds like the same guy. He's probably been following along on this thread the whole time!

Its possible, just be real thourough when looking it over. If it needs parts they are going to be expensive, because it is a strato and I don't think there are any aftermarket parts for this model yet.

I saw the guy's thread and told him I'd get the 660 but keep the 441. Unless you're a power-lifter, you're not going to want a 660 as your only saw - it's heavy and it vibrates lots more than the 441. That 120psi compression is really a red flag for me. Definitely worth the drive to check it out, but I agree with the guys who recommend that you bring your own gauge and check it out yourself. Also, pop the muffler and check the piston for scoring. If you get into major repairs on the 441, you can eat up $300 really fast.

At least the guy is being honest with you. I think that your 50% of new price is a good rule, unless you're talking something absolutely mint, like pristine condition. Even then, I'd be looking for a good 25% to 30% off list.

Good luck.

well, with all the additional info', I'd pass, myself. I don't know what a new 441 goes in the OP's area. As I said in my first reponse I paid $710 for mine, new. 50-60 cords of wood won't wear a saw out, but it is far from new. It may be a very good saw, and the seller may well be a perfectly honest guy.

I just wouldn't pay $500 for one that used, even if he's religious about keeping it up to snuff. I figure that even if I am strapped for cash [and I am], I'd want to keep pinching pennies a while longer and scrape up the dough for a brand new one or one that is nearly new. Or one like this one but for $400.

Got one today used MS-441 $325 runs great.

well, with all the additional info', I'd pass, myself. I don't know what a new 441 goes in the OP's area. As I said in my first reponse I paid $710 for mine, new. 50-60 cords of wood won't wear a saw out, but it is far from new. It may be a very good saw, and the seller may well be a perfectly honest guy.

I just wouldn't pay $500 for one that used, even if he's religious about keeping it up to snuff. I figure that even if I am strapped for cash [and I am], I'd want to keep pinching pennies a while longer and scrape up the dough for a brand new one or one that is nearly new. Or one like this one but for $400.

How about a HT-131 pole saw for same, Not to bad

Latest posts

Back