What size skidding winch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billdiesel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Wanted to get some opinions. I'm looking to make a purchase of a Farmi skidding winch for my tractor. New Holland TC35A(29.6hp pto) with a front end loader, wheel weights and loaded tires. Should I be looking at the JL351P or will my tractor handle a JL501? I'm kinda leaning towards the 501 with the thought of possibly going to a bigger tractor later. Thank you for your time and input.

Bill I have the 351 and a 48 HP tractor and you have to be careful when pulling sideways. I would say unless you are looking at 60 HP plus the 351 will do all you need. That 501 is going to be way too much for your current tractor.

I have a L4400 and a 501 w calcium filled tires. actually if you pull from the lower pully in the low position I think they're very stable. But I have 45 hp and Ithink 35 to the rear. I too wasn't sure which one to get, but I'm glad I went big.

I have a 601. I think farmi makes a good winch. I would say get as big as your tractor will handle.

Scott

The original poster has a 29 PTO tractor. He did say he was looking at a bigger one down the road, did not say how much bigger. The 501 Farmi winch lists the minimum PTO HP rating at 40. At times when I am on a logging road on a side hill, I must pull sideways. If I am not careful I can pull my 48 horsepower 4 WD tractor with a FEL over. That is with the 351. The 351 will be plenty capable for the OP's tractor and unless he is going a lot bigger down the road the 501 is simply overkill and quite possibly dangerous.

I think any winch will pull a tractor over if used improperly. They are very specific not to pull more than 25 degrees from straight off the rear of the tractor. Invest in a snatch block if you need to pull anything that isnt straight behind.

I think any winch will pull a tractor over if used improperly. They are very specific not to pull more than 25 degrees from straight off the rear of the tractor. Invest in a snatch block if you need to pull anything that isnt straight behind.

:agree2:

I can't add anything regarding a skidding winch, but I do operate a winch daily and a good snatch block is a must.

I have a snatch block and do use it. That is not the point. There are times and places where things are not always perfect, that is when things can go wrong. Bottom line is the OP asked what size winch to get for his 29 HP tractor and the 351 will extract all the capabilities and then some of what his tractor is capable of.

i used a 351 daily last year. moving 3-6 wheeler loads a week. i had a 40 horse tractor and the winch would pull it around with the motor idling. at 29 hp i would be looking at the smallest farmi. you will want the extra lift capacity on the rock arms. i have put the 351 on a smaller tractor (its easier to move the winch than a whole tractor) and its just not the same. the winch takes up too much of the tractors capacity.

you will get a decent price selling any winch if you decide to upgrade. if it doesnt sell in the local listings post it here. alot of guys here complain they cant find a used one listed but dont have money for new.

I have a snatch block and do use it. That is not the point. There are times and places where things are not always perfect, that is when things can go wrong. Bottom line is the OP asked what size winch to get for his 29 HP tractor and the 351 will extract all the capabilities and then some of what his tractor is capable of.

I agree in the Farmi line the 351 is best suited for the tractor he has:cheers:

Thanks for the replies eveyone. I was thinking the 351 might a better fit for my tractor. But seeing how my current tractor is close to the upper horsepower requirements for the 351, thought I would ask about the 501. As far as the bigger tractor, TT75A is what caught my eye. Turkeyslayer I have been following your thread, really nice set-up. I haven't checked into the Wallenstein, just what I have read here. Tried a dealer locate and came up with one Ontario. Really couldn't go wrong with either the Farmi or Wallenstein. I have alot of steep hilly ground and was looking at a winch for clean up firewood for personal use. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks for the link TS. Would the FX90 be a good fit for my tractor or too big?

Storm56, was wondering about the requirements, when the manufacturer gives hp numbers, it's for the PTO?

the 351 might be a better fit, but if you got the 501 and used it on a hill or sideways I don't think it would be "more" tippy. as far as alll the winches go. I would look at overall weight, line pull and size dimension's. people who have the smaller winches and bigger tractors usually tell you they use them close to idling. 29 hp tractor =351, but if your up grading to a bigger tractor =501.. check the weight vs. line pull on all of them. also check the warranty.

check out the weight on the 501 and hp is 40 - 60 the weight on the fx 90- hp is
30 - 80 and is a couple hundred pounds heavier and approx line pull is 2000 il's less. it was easy for me to get a farmi 501..

check out the weight on the 501 and hp is 40 - 60 the weight on the fx 90- hp is
30 - 80 and is a couple hundred pounds heavier and approx line pull is 2000 il's less. it was easy for me to get a farmi 501..

I have no doubt that the Farmi is a very good unit I was considering one myself. The reason I went with the fx 90 is it is heavier = sturdier built, more traction, better anchor for pulling. It comes with a hitch, and the bottom pully is adjustable, and also was priced a few hundred dollars less than the Farmi. Also the fx 90 uses much of the same components as the fx 120 on a smaller frame I am getting 1/2 cable for my winch for a little extra strength (The drum is the same as the fx 120). When I talked to Wallenstein they told me the 9000lb rating is under rated.

Thanks for the link TS. Would the FX90 be a good fit for my tractor or too big?

Storm56, was wondering about the requirements, when the manufacturer gives hp numbers, it's for the PTO?

Yes the HP numbers are for the PTO. I cannot comment on the Wallenstein winches, never even saw one but I am sure they must be good units. The 351 will fill your needs and is a very simple durable unit. I am all for buying quality equipment and making sure it is sized properly, but there comes a point of diminishing returns. Some think a 460 Stihl, 372 Husky or a 7900 Dolmar is about right for limbing. I have seen people go out and buy a diesel pickup to pull a 1500 pound boat. That sort of over sizing is just ridiculous but whatever floats your boat I guess.

If you end up deciding on the Farmi, I would follow the manufacturer recommendations on HP. I have the 500 but my two tractors are 47 & 57 HP. The Farmi's are built tough and I've had mine for 25 years or so. In that time the only thing I've had to replace is the pull rope used to engage the clutch. I am getting close to needing to replace the cable now also.

Have you checked out the Wallenstein FX90? It is the same winch I am using and is rated for tractors 30-80hp. It has been a very good unit for me, and the price was a bit better than the Farmi (at least around here). http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=116946
http://www.embmfg.com/Forestry/Winches/

The guy I work for on weekends (we sell firewood) has a a fx 90. I love it he, has it on his 45horse mahindra. we drag logs with it all the time and never a problem.

Back