castor vs. synthetic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed1694

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have always ran maxim oils 927 castor oil in all of my 2-cycle motors, (40-1). I have never locked an engine up, and I love the smell. I have ran this oil in kawasaki dirt bikes, stihl chainsaws, honda dirt bikes, and jons 920 chainsaws. It is abit pricey but seems to lubricate better than factory oils. give me your thoughts. Joe

Castor was the usual choice,some 35 plus years ago,for racing go karts running alkey/nitro.I will never forget the smell nor the foggy haze the hung around the track.Alas,gone forever.

Its a poor choice because its dirty burning, has low corrosion protection, has miscability issues(especially in cold weather) and in general is a old technology product. There are many oils on the Market that will work better and do not have the downfalls of castor based oils.
I use Mobil MX2T(now Racing 2T), Citgo air cooled, Husky XP,Echo Power Blend and Esso Easy mix.

lubricating qualities?
In a two cycle motor wear and engine longetivity are directly tied to prevention of deposit formation. Castor oils forte back in the day was preventing seizure in high output engines that had poor cooling or other issues that caused them to run hot to the point of seizure. In other words it was used as a band aid to cover up problems. As far as seizure protection goes castors are unrivaled to this day. The problem is there are many other aspects that the are not so hot at.

Latest posts

Back