home made splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gene1605

gene1605

ArboristSite Operative
heator

I know that anyone that can build splitter that well thoutout can come up with a heator.

reminds me of me a long time ago grampa

grandpatractor

grandpatractor

Addicted to ArboristSite
I try to do most of my splitting at home. We try to cut everything in 2-3 foot lengths and load it in a dump truck and haul it home. I have a pretty big area that I can dump in and split when I have more time.

grandpatractor

grandpatractor

Addicted to ArboristSite
dimensions

The beam is 8"wide and10"tall and just over 11' in length
I calculated the force at 42 tons. I run it on a JD260 and its about all the weight ya want on the front of it. You can pick up 30" diameter wood and split it 4 ways over the pile. the wedge is 24"tall and 18" wide wings.

ggttp

ggttp

ArboristSite Member
good god man

I was thinking about making something like that for my Bobcat MT52. So i wouldn't have to lift the big logs. Mine will prob be a little smaller.

God of ArboristSite
coool... that's the spec's to my new 35 ton speeco splitter.
beam is 8in x 10in with 5in ram, 16gpm, 12.5hp.

what's diameter is the ram? how large of a pump?
that's a killer looking four way splitter head!

grandpatractor said:
The beam is 8"wide and10"tall and just over 11' in length
I calculated the force at 42 tons. I run it on a JD260 and its about all the weight ya want on the front of it. You can pick up 30" diameter wood and split it 4 ways over the pile. the wedge is 24"tall and 18" wide wings.

mga

wandering
http://www.qualityweldingservice.com/30tonsplitter.html

30tonfourway.jpg

grandpatractor

grandpatractor

Addicted to ArboristSite
The skidsteer I run it with puts out 21 gpm. I has about a 15 sec cylcle time . but it takes a few seconds to reposition and it actually goes pretty smooth. I think one advantage of mine over that dirtworks splitter is my wedge is on the cylinder. The flat part on the end works good to pull back and square up the log
The cylinder is a 6x42 with a 3 and 1/2" rod

Bowtie

Bowtie

Gearhead
This is my first time posting, I hope I am doing so in the right forum. I love the pics of the splitters everyone is posting. I am building my first log splitter, and will post pics when I can. My question if I may ask is what 24 inch stroke cylinder will work best with the 13.6 gpm barnes pump I bought? Im running a 11.5 hp Briggs mounted on a 12" by 12" piece of h-piling for a frame from my bridge job. I love this site and will look forward to posting pics of my splitter when I get it closer to done. Bowtie

triptester

triptester

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Bowtie,your 13.6 GPM pump will give you about a 10.3 sec. cycle time with a 4 inch bore with a 2 inch rod. A 4.5 bore will take 13.2 sec. to cycle. A 5 inch bore will take 16.7 sec. to cycle. All these times are assuming 3600 RPM's,warm fluid,and no resistance.
Your 11.5 HP Briggs should handle up to a 22GPM 2-stage pump.