amsoil saber 100:1

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes... but how would they know?? Piston/cylinder failures are extremely rare, but if it did happen, there would be some scrutiny.

My 2c.... don't run your saw at 100:1.... It's not like the money you save over 50:1 is material.

Yes... but how would they know?? Piston/cylinder failures are extremely rare, but if it did happen, there would be some scrutiny.

My 2c.... don't run your saw at 100:1.... It's not like the money you save over 50:1 is material.
i am sticking with ultra.i was just curious if it would void warranty.i would not be brave enough to use 100:1.

OK then what are you doing!!!!??????

i am sticking with ultra.i was just curious if it would void warranty.i would not be brave enough to use 100:1.

Just jacking with us,,,,& Showing off your new Avatar??????

Not Bad BTW!!!!!! Nice MuFF ler

Ultra is Good,,,, and I'm gonna stay with Lakeside53's reccomendation... I would mix it at the proper reccommended Ratio of 50:1 till at least the warranty is out.... Why chance it,,,, but hey its your Saw + Money!!!!!:blob2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
100:1 seems to make everyone nervous around here. I sent off an email to Amsoil today to see what tests they've run, specifically w/ chainsaws to determine that 100:1 would be safe. Surely they wouldn't advertise that number if it ruined 2stokes and at the same time their reputation? Honestly it makes me nervous to run anything 100:1, but I sure am curious about it.:confused:

100 to 1 doesn't harm chainsaws

BUT

In order to have the Amsoil insurance coverage for 100 to 1 the equipment needs to be broken in under the manufacturers recommendations.

This business is kind of funny like I mentioned in a different thread.

The Stihl 4-mix would likely get to Class B safely if it was run @ 80 to 1 using their own dino oil but they won't do it.

A question for all the Stihl experts

If the Stihl 4-mix is patented how is it that Shindaiwa also offers the same design and pays no royalties to Stihl?

I know the answer I want to here the latest "official" version

Here's the results of the email I sent out:

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, the main reason we see failures in two cycle applications is due to the fuel being used, or the length of time it is stored. Our Saber Professional (ATP) is formulated with synthetic base stocks, allowing it to flow better than a petroleum product. Since it flows better, we do not have to add as many solvents to the oil, and with less solvents, our customers can use less oil with the same amount of protection.

The oil will provide the proper protection for the chainsaw, provided the fuel is fresh, and if storage is needed a maintenance procedure is done.

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Heidi Etterman

Technical Services

Here's the results of the email I sent out:

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, the main reason we see failures in two cycle applications is due to the fuel being used, or the length of time it is stored. Our Saber Professional (ATP) is formulated with synthetic base stocks, allowing it to flow better than a petroleum product. Since it flows better, we do not have to add as many solvents to the oil, and with less solvents, our customers can use less oil with the same amount of protection.

The oil will provide the proper protection for the chainsaw, provided the fuel is fresh, and if storage is needed a maintenance procedure is done.

Thanks again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Heidi Etterman

Technical Services

You could say the same thing about most synthetic mixes... Stihl says their Ultra can be used up to 80:1 in 4 mix, but not in chainsaws. I stay with Stihl's recomendations for their oil.

So? as do I.... pre-WW2...

Be careful with reading too much into stihl or any modern "parent" assertions.. it's very difficult to patent (today) an entire "otto" engine assembly.. but any one part might qualify...

Last edited:
The deep recesses of my brain say BMW in the 1930's for stationary and tank engines. I have to take off for the entire day now so can't use my magical Google powers, but.. I'm sure you'll correct me.;)

Stihl does have a patent but let's see what it is

.. let me guess (wait.. I'll be wrong!).. na.... happy to let you do the research...

I go away for an entire day and no body else joins in? OK PEST, tell us what you know, in one post... :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
i would not be brave enough to use 100:1.

Me neither. I have a friend I trust running it in his saw, trimmer, ice auger, etc.- so I'm tempted. He reads all their advertising and claims the stuff is wonderful.

I'll continue to let him do the testing for a while before I give it a shot.

Back