064.. postmortum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
Remember this? Sweat deal on an 064... $50... but supposedly has a crank case leak. Hasn't been run for over 10 years.

attachment.php

O.K... Rebuild the carb, replace a hose, starter rope etc.. but.. the prior owner said "leak"... Hmmmm....

Pressure and vac test time. Perfect! Hmmm... O.K., I'll start it up. Bit stiff, so I squirt mix in the cyinder.. Fill with gas and oil... Pull over a few times . Arghhh - bar oil all over the bench and me...

Now I know what he mean't by "leak". Suspecting a gasket... tear saw down and look for the obvious.

HUH? hidden underneath - two holes in the bottom of the oil tank?

attachment.php

Can only come from one place: WRONG length SCREWS in the bottom handle mount!
attachment.php

Easy fix... two tiny blobs of JB weld..

Checking the crank and bearings... sure feel rough... and stiff. It's already down to the engine - only 10 minutes more to split the case.

Bearings... looked good from the inside, BUT between the bearings and seals is this gritty carbon sludge. 10 years of sitting didn't help. Crappy oil mix.... muffler also dripping in what looks like outboard motor oil mix...

attachment.php

New bearing time... The rest is in great shape.

To be continued...

Last edited:
still running an 064 as my big saw... runs great!!!!

it's barely heavier than my 046 with a lot more guts...

lake, nice job bringing 064 back to life,

Back to life? lolol - not yet, but it will run in a week or so, and cut wood for many years.. . Piston, cylinder and crank are perfect.. I don't even have to use my NOS Cylinder ;)

I'll take some pics of the reassembly - right now it's just a box of filthy parts.

Around here?

I see real rough saws on Craigslist for $350... nicer units $450 to $500 (few).

Gone though, cleaned up, nice bar and chain, new main bearings, seals, gaskets, hoses, etc..

Retail though a store - $550... $595, maybe more.
Craigslist $450-$500
Ebay: who knows...

To a friend... depends...:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Just the stance of that thing is mean looking with the dawgs and the whole contours of the saw. Heck, I guess what Im saying is Im lusting after a bigger saw, even though I dont need it. I always thought the 441 would be my big saw, but maybe its gonna be the mid sizer if I find the right deal. I cant believe I heated my house for 2 years with only an 026 Pro...:jawdrop:

looks pretty good so far.

keep the pics coming!

:)

Dealing with the mess...

I HATE filthy saws... get enough of those at work.

Clean up time. This saw won't get repainted so it's scrape, solvent clean, a quick dip in Purple cleaner and wash off. If I was repainting, it would all go though the ultrasonic cleaner as well.

attachment.php

Initial scrape. I should have weighed this for Troll - the real weight of a saw includes this! I'd guess nearly a pound!

attachment.php

POS China inc parts cleaner, but it works. Approved solvent (nearly $100 of it the washer - more $$ than the washer!), and I keep it outside.

attachment.php

After a parts wash. A quick dip in old dilute purple cleaner (the blue garbage can to the left of the parts washer) will follow.

attachment.php

Back on the bench

attachment.php

I punched the old seals out and looked carefully at the bearings with an otoscope. Hey .. you never know - I might be able to use them after a trip though the ultrasonic cleaner.. Not! The seals were rock hard, and the nylon bearing cages were cracked. Bad gas/mix and 10 years of sitting took their toll. New bearings on order.

Last edited:
I believe you found the proverbial diamond in the rough. A little or allott of work and you will have a nice saw to use.

It would be nice to have a cleaning process set up like that. Having all the proper tools makes all the difference in the world, when you do as many saws as Andy does. Your work looks great and probably took much less time than many of us would have spent.

POS China inc parts cleaner, but it works. Approved solvent (nearly $100 of it the washer - more $$ than the washer!), and I keep it outside.

attachment.php

Hey, don't you talk like that about my cleaner... :givebeer: You are right about the cleaner cost though, so initially I used gasoline (smells real bad), and now I use heating petrol. works, but not ideal....

It would be nice to have a cleaning process set up like that. Having all the proper tools makes all the difference in the world, when you do as many saws as Andy does. Your work looks great and probably took much less time than many of us would have spent.

Unlike some I know :cheers: ... I don't get to use the wife's dishwasher! In any case, I have a septic system and the saw/machinery grease would be a bad deal.

Those parts clearers are cheap ($80, or less), and the fluid lasts a very long time. I found it makes my purple cleaner last a heck of a lot longer (months...) if I use a petroleum based cleaner first.

Unlike some I know :cheers: ... I don't get to use the wife's dishwasher! In any case, I have a septic system and the saw/machinery grease would be a bad deal.

Those parts clearers are cheap ($80, or less), and the fluid lasts a very long time. I found it makes my purple cleaner last a heck of a lot longer (months...) if I use a petroleum based cleaner first.

I knew a guy who built one. Used an old water heater tank cut in half and an oil pump off an old Dodge. I don't remember where he got the electric motor. After he was through, he had a couple hours work and no money in the thing, and it worked well.

An electric fuel pump of anything with injectors works great (too great....), but the sealed/submersable impellor type made just for these units is less than $20 now.

Around here?

I see real rough saws on Craigslist for $350... nicer units $450 to $500 (few).

Gone though, cleaned up, nice bar and chain, new main bearings, seals, gaskets, hoses, etc..

Retail though a store - $550... $595, maybe more.
Craigslist $450-$500
Ebay: who knows...

To a friend... depends...:greenchainsaw:

Um Lake, you meant to say:

To a friend... priceless...:greenchainsaw:

BTW, Great Job!

Parts washer

I finally got tired of cleaning parts in old oil change tub and bought the Menards version of the 20 gallon parts washer, looks to be identical to the one Lakeside shows except for color. The parts washer is on sale for $70 but the solvent (2 each 5 gallon of mineral spirits) cost about $80. Nonetheless for $150 I have a part washer with recirculating pump, sure makes cleaning things up a lot easier. Replacement pumps are indeed $20 and I am sure I will pick up up the next trip through. I just couldn't see buying a spare pump at the same time as buying the new parts washer.

I've ran the generic simple green stuff dilluted with water in mine and it seems to work pretty good. It's also non flammable and smells good which is a bonus. I believe it's around $25 per 5 gallons if I remember right.

Back