Thread about seals, Not oil, Oh No No No No No

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubar2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yes I did a search. No this thread is not about oil mix only seals. Ive got an 83 Husky 154. Always ran it with dino mix. Got a bottle of synthetic mix. Then I thought, will this in an old saw cause the seals to leak like in a four stroke? Remember this is a seal only thread not to be confused with all them oil threads. Treat it accordingly.

Yes I did a search. No this thread is not about oil mix only seals. Ive got an 83 Husky 154. Always ran it with dino mix. Got a bottle of synthetic mix. Then I thought, will this in an old saw cause the seals to leak like in a four stroke? Remember this is a seal only thread not to be confused with all them oil threads. Treat it accordingly.

Do you mean switching to synthetic will cause the seals to fail and leak air?

I have never heard of this. If your seals are fine now, I think they should be fine with the synthetic.

Do you mean switching to synthetic will cause the seals to fail and leak air?

I have never heard of this. If your seals are fine now, I think they should be fine with the synthetic.

Yes that was my question. I know after like 75000 miles you not suppose to switch in a car. Thats why I asked.

Yes that was my question. I know after like 75000 miles you not suppose to switch in a car. Thats why I asked.

I am not an expert, just ask anyone here but that is my opinion. :cheers:

Why is it that changing causes problems? Is it something to do with the seal material?

It wil not hurt your saw at all... and might even make it run better...

As for car... where did you hear this?

many people believe that if you use a synthetic oil in older autos that the the synthetic oil will find its way into spots in the motor filled with sludge from conventional oil and eventually leak its way out from the motor for examplesome gaskets are only sealing with dirt, grime and sludge. there was a myth that synthetic would loosen the sludge and cause leaks.(anything could be possible though, nothing that my supertech filter can't catch) i think this was when synthetic came out and became extremely marketable a while back, that this rumor came abroad. Leaks could happen any time though.Its like saying batteries discharge on concrete its not true

Last edited:
I didnt hear it. I read it on a synthetic quart of oil bottle.

What bottle did you read this on? I've never heard of such a thing.

I started running synthetic oil in some of the older trucks awhile back and they didn't leak any more than they normally did, and they were 25+ years old.

many people believe that if you use a synthetic oil in older autos that the the synthetic oil will find its way into spots in the motor filled with sludge from conventional oil and eventually leak its way out from the motor for examplesome gaskets are only sealing with dirt, grime and sludge. there was a myth that synthetic would loosen the sludge and cause leaks.(anything could be possible though, nothing that my supertech filter can't catch) i think this was when synthetic came out and became extremely marketable a while back, that this rumor came abroad. Leaks could happen any time though.Its like saying batteries discharge on concrete its not true

not a verifyed fact but....
when synthetic started coming on strong in the oil market a while back it did leak faster than dyno of the same viscosity in older vehicles. the makers caught on, albeit a little late, and added gasket conditioners to alieviate the problem.
disclaimer: i heard that from a friend who's bro's sister's friend's dad heard it somewhere.

glad to see you mentioned the 'battery on concrete' thing. there was some truth there. seems that you really should not have stored batteries on concrete years and years ago. wasn't because of discharge. it was because of breakage. the cases were made of glass!

What bottle did you read this on? I've never heard of such a thing.

I started running synthetic oil in some of the older trucks awhile back and they didn't leak any more than they normally did, and they were 25+ years old.

I cant remember the name of it. It was on sale at Autozone two weeks ago and in a black bottle. The clerk even asked me how many miles were on my truck for that reason.

I cant remember the name of it. It was on sale at Autozone two weeks ago and in a black bottle. The clerk even asked me how many miles were on my truck for that reason.

ah.. those highly trained clerks are always looking out for you.:greenchainsaw:

yea speaking about this topic its kind of ironic the other day this guy (tenant) was trying to tell me all my batteries were shot because i left them sit on the bare concrete.Hes a old timer. I can understand how peoples beliefs don't change though because thats what they were brought up upon with and taught. Autozones gotta love em they always have what i need. If you go there get some mobil 2t for your chainsaw if they still have it.But checkouts another story. Having people try to convince me that riveted brakes are better for my application than the bonded ones. I find it entertaining also how all the workers have ricers too that you can find better bodies in the junk yard.

Last edited:
ah.. those highly trained clerks are always looking out for you.:greenchainsaw:

It struck me as kind of odd, usually they ask whats motor oil? If you walk into Autozone and look for oil thats on sale you cant miss it. The 75000 on an odometer kind of jumps out at you. I first thought somebody was proclaiming 75000 miles between oil changes when I saw it.

I don't know, but there are some high mileage specific oils out there. Could it be a plan to market those oils?

It wil not hurt your saw at all... and might even make it run better...

As for car... where did you hear this?

The service manager at my Subaru dealer told me not to use syn oil, because it would find its way past the seals and go where it ought not to go. Now that was the '01 Forester, now I have an 06 Outback that calls for 5W30, so its seals may be more effective.

Blown seal...

A penguin is driving through Alaska on his way back to the Antarctic after a trip to see the north pole. He has car problems, so he stops at a gas station. He talks to the attendant, and the attendant says that he will look at the car. So looking around, the penguin decides to go to the diner next door and have a nice cool refreshment. Inside the diner, he sees that they have ice cream, and so he orders a vanilla cone. He pays for it and wanders outside to have a look around the small town. While eating his cone, it starts to melt all over his penguin suit. Undaunted, he eats the cone and wanders back to the car to get a towel to clean himself up.

Back at the gas station, the attendant greets the penguin with the bad news about his car, and says, "Hey, it looks like you blew a seal." The penguin thinks for a moment, and looks at himself, and then replies to the attendant, "Oh no, its just ice cream." :spam: :spam: :spam:

Synth did have some seal and leakage issues when first introduced, but those were overcome long ago.

Related to:
a. since intended for longer life, the detergent and additive packages were stronger and more aggressive to last longer. That caused some problems.
b. Anything that is new tends to remove some gunk that was there before.
c. Synth hold their viscosity better with temperature, so for the same rated viscosity class the base stock is thinner, so it leaked easier especially at lower temps or parked overnight.

I run synth in all my small 4 cycles, since they only hold a quart it is cheap to run. Also in the 2 cycles. cleaner, less carbon, easier to keep in tune, and I think way more protection, especially in boundary situations of high rpm and heat. Might have a bit more residual lube, but of course raw gas without synthetic lube is no better than raw gas without dino oil!

cars, bit mroe spendy, I am not sure of the value in my applicaations. I use 0w30 synth in the one without block heater.

75k as 'high mileage' vehicle, yikes, I only wish I had vehicles of that age. Currently at 292, 157, 170, and I think 110k

k

Back