Breaking in dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is my first post. This is a very informative forum. thanks:)

I have just purchesed a new dolmar 7900 and I would like some information about the best way to break it in. I have conflicting advise. Some say to run regular not synthetic oil for the first gallon. Some say run synthetic from the beginning. It seems the first three tank of gas you should take it easy on the saw? Any input greatly appriciated. :clap:
Thanks

You were probably given some Dolmar oil with the saw. I'd mix it ever so slightly towards a higher ratio of oil. (40:1 or 45:1)

Use 91 or higher octane and if possible avoid ethanol blended gasoline.

Keep a close eye on the saw for anything out of the ordinary (not likely though).

When you cut wood, cut the wood. Full throttle thru the cut. Let it idle a tad after long cuts. The only thing I'd really avoid is heavy milling until it has a few tanks run thru it. It was designed to cut wood from the factory so go at it!! It's a great saw.

Dont run synthetic in it for the first 10 gallons as the rings will not seat guick enough . The sticky varnish & carbon build up is worse than expected :censored: . Looks like I'll be switching back to stihl in the orange bottle. When cold start & warm the saw up for a minute just so the chain spins . Full throttle then right in the wood. Full throttle cuts. When it gets down to 1/4 tank let idle for 1 minute before turning it of. Dont let it sit ideling for minutes at at time as this further premotes carbon build up.

This is my first post. This is a very informative forum. thanks:)

I have just purchesed a new dolmar 7900 and I would like some information about the best way to break it in. I have conflicting advise. Some say to run regular not synthetic oil for the first gallon. Some say run synthetic from the beginning. It seems the first three tank of gas you should take it easy on the saw? Any input greatly appriciated. :clap:
Thanks

Welcome to AS. You picked a great saw. You will get lots of conflicting advice on here for sure!! In my opinion you won't notice a difference either way. I personally would break it in with regular dolmar oil and then run any of the main brands oil or synthetic. Run it like you normally would. I don't let my saws idle for long normally.
Keep us updated on how you like it!!

Not sure on saws, but for car motors and such, i always say break it in like your gonna use it. Let it fast idle for a bit when you first start it, then lay into it. I'd use just regular ole oil.

Right here...

Run it at manufacturers recomendation on oil ratio and just go cut wood... You will not hurt a thing. No need to switch oils after an hour, or a tankful... no need to run the carb jets on the "rich" side either...

Don't go ALAP'n any stumps right away... but just go cut wood like you normally would. No babying required...

Gary

Like they said,run it normally,and cut full throttle,do not bog the engine hard for the first few tanks,keep it screaming.Congrats on the new saw! The Dolmar looks like a light saw for its displacement and power.

Synthetic mix from day one is fine.... I've been inside dozens of saws run like that and they look great. And.... I do on my own saws...

I flogged the guts out of my 7900 the second I got it. There are many theories on running engines in but I've never had any problems in cars, motorbikes, saws etc just starting them up and using them as intended. I used synthetic oil from the get go and the saw still runs as strong as the day I got it (perhaps even stronger).

Hey, another cheesehead, welcome to the site, have fun cutting safely with your new saw, it's a fun tool for sure.

I know of one 7900 that was broke in hard, the muffler was glowing when we were done with it, and the saw has shown no ill effects.
They are good saws.

Back