Husqvarna 455 20in Works, (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnHermit

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I started this thread last week looking to buy a new chainsaw. I ended up with the Husqvarna 455, because the 460 -24" was a case of CAD, and found a great Husqvarna dealer a few miles from my home. The 455 while very loud, ran great, started easily except after I ran out of gas. The times are not intended to impress anyone, just a way to order the photos.

10_32Close.jpg

10_32Wide.jpg
11_17Gas.jpg

11_35Done.jpg
11_59Loaded.jpg

It was fun trying to decide how to keep that log ~3' above the ground and remove the supporting limbs as I went w/o pinching the bar, see 11:17.

Thanks to all who helped me choose.

nice

looks like the plastic wonder actually can cut wood:clap: i never have seen one that was a turd. they will not take mods well. they are miserable on your hands when cutting all day. they are a top exhaust outlet:dizzy: learn to sharpen the chain it will make the saw last longer. if you feel comfortable using a chainsaw the i recommend a more aggressive chain .
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OPL+20+72LGX72&catID=769

enjoy your new toy, it will not be lonely long:givebeer:
:cheers:

Nice pics. I guess it goes to show you not everybody needs the fanciest saw for what they do. And if you ever decide to upgrade in the future that 455 would make a nice backup saw.
Husky 268 non- xp ($200)
Jonsered 630 ($175)
Husky 55 ($53.61)
Stihl 034 AV($120)
A man after my own heart. My Poulan 2175 is my limbing/backup saw. The whole point is to save money on $110/cord wood, not put the same or more money into CAD.
:cheers:

Get around eight and they can drag you home on a sledge. Ah, sorry, wrong Huskies. Or are they? quite an image, t'be sure :D

Congratulations on a nice saw and a good heap of wood. :)

problems with 455s??????

I work at a lowes in NH .We sell them for 399 minus my 10% employee and minus 10% veterans discount. I have been thinking about buying a 455. my main saw is an old Husky 2100 cd . she runs like a champ but is sooooo heavy . I only cut firewood for my use ,about 6 cords a year .so I dont need a monster like the 2100. so I thought the 455 would be a good choice. Last weekend a customer returned one saying the bar oiler wasnt working. It still had some gas in it so I took it outside and fired it up. It ran awesome, but when I held the bar tip near some fresh snow at a high rev NO oil showed. Later in the day the same guy returned the replacement saw we gave him, saying the same problem. We pulled all the 455s of the shelf till we hear from husky. Anyone hear of any problems with these saws ? are the auto oilers not set properly from the factory????
peace and woodchips Mike

nice beetle killed pine you got there - lodgepole?

what part of CO are you in?

i used to cut (for a bit) for a logging crew out of granby - they work all over grand county

my main saw is an old Husky 2100 cd . she runs like a champ but is sooooo heavy . I only cut firewood for my use ,about 6 cords a year .so I dont need a monster like the 2100.

DIBBS!
Please PM me your contact info and I will come up and take that old heavy husky off your hands.....................Thanks, 454

are the auto oilers not set properly from the factory????
Yes and No. The factory default is "2", but since most 455's come with a 20" bar and the manual recommends position "3" for 20" and larger bars, somewhat odd.

In any case, my 455 is a light oiler relative to my Poulan. But oil was coming out when the dealer bench tuned the saw. I've since set "3" and I use ~ a half tank of chain oil per tank of gas. The chain has only needed one adjustment in ~3 hours of use, so it would seem it's getting adequate oil.

I'd suggest you start a new thread with your specific question for the most replies.

I work at a lowes in NH .We sell them for 399 minus my 10% employee and minus 10% veterans discount. I have been thinking about buying a 455. my main saw is an old Husky 2100 cd . she runs like a champ but is sooooo heavy . I only cut firewood for my use ,about 6 cords a year .so I dont need a monster like the 2100. so I thought the 455 would be a good choice. Last weekend a customer returned one saying the bar oiler wasnt working. It still had some gas in it so I took it outside and fired it up. It ran awesome, but when I held the bar tip near some fresh snow at a high rev NO oil showed. Later in the day the same guy returned the replacement saw we gave him, saying the same problem. We pulled all the 455s of the shelf till we hear from husky. Anyone hear of any problems with these saws ? are the auto oilers not set properly from the factory????
peace and woodchips Mike

I don't suppose that any of you Lowes "technicians" took a look at what the guy was using for bar oil did you? Does Lowes even sell the winter weight bar oil? I'd be willing to bet that the guy had summer weight bar oil and it chewed up the oil drive gear. It's certainly been cold enough up there that winter bar oil would be necessary.

Pulling all of the 455's off the shelf is such a typical Lowes reaction. There must be something wrong with them all! Can't be anything the customer did, because "the customer's always right", and God forbid that they even dare to suggest that the customer might have done something wrong. Hilarious!:clap:

Latest posts

Back