Husqvarna 455 20in Works, (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't suppose that any of you Lowes "technicians" took a look at what the guy was using for bar oil did you? Does Lowes even sell the winter weight bar oil? I'd be willing to bet that the guy had summer weight bar oil and it chewed up the oil drive gear. It's certainly been cold enough up there that winter bar oil would be necessary.

Pulling all of the 455's off the shelf is such a typical Lowes reaction. There must be something wrong with them all! Can't be anything the customer did, because "the customer's always right", and God forbid that they even dare to suggest that the customer might have done something wrong. Hilarious!:clap:

we have no technicians at lowes . I sell plumbing supplies and just love chainsaws so I took a peek at the saw.. It was a very cold day so you are probably right about the summer b&c oil. lowes does not sell a winter oil I usually run 20-50 motor oil in my bar in the winter because I didnt know you could thin down the husky veg oil . the customer bought the shiny new saw and a gallon of husky oil which turned to mud in his saw (I remember that morning ,I stepped outside in a tee shirt to start the saw and froze my nuts off)
Lowes pulling the saw is a precautionary move. I cant really blame them
Im hoping the return saws being used will go on clearance for half price

Mike

I'd be willing to bet that the guy had summer weight bar oil and it chewed up the oil drive gear. It's certainly been cold enough up there that winter bar oil would be necessary.
Didn't know theirs a Winter Weight Bar Oil, what are the temperature ranges for Summer/Winter Bar Oil?

I never cut below 32F and I'm using the remainder of the Poulan gallon jug, I'm sure it's summer weight.

Also, compared to my Poulan 2175, the Husky 455 is a light oiler, see my earilier Post #16. What is your experience?

Thanks

Didn't know theirs a Winter Weight Bar Oil, what are the temperature ranges for Summer/Winter Bar Oil?

I never cut below 32F and I'm using the remainder of the Poulan gallon jug, I'm sure it's summer weight.

Also, compared to my Poulan 2175, the Husky 455 is a light oiler, see my earilier Post #16. What is your experience?

Thanks

Hermit,

On setting #3 with the Poulan oil, my 455 is a light oiler as well.
Enough to get some fling if it's not cold out anyway.

I cut the cheapo poulan/TSC/ whatever summer weight, with Husky or Stihl winter weight and get good fling down to around 20 or so. Any colder than that, and I run straight Husky or Stihl winter weight.

Right now my dealer has Husky winter weight for $9.99 a gallon so I just picked up a jug to cut the cheap stuff again.

Come warmer weather I just shift back to the cheap stuff instead of adjusting the oiler...lest I forget on a cold day.

Keep an eye on the oil ports in your bar, they get gorp stuck in them now and then. More so than on other saws I have had it seems.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dingeryote,

I cut yesterday, for the first time in two weeks, and prior to going out I adjusted and sharpened the chain and of course filled both tanks. To my surprise, the chain oil tank took a lot of oil. I believe I had just set "3" prior to that last outing, but of course I can't remember exactly (something to do with gray hairs).

I hope to cut tomorrow and Friday, so I'll have three observation in one week to give me a better handle on "normal".

Even though the Husky is a light oiler, I always thought the Poulan was rather sloppy. I always had oil leaks on the floor. I keep it in a cardboard box to catch the leaks.

OTOH, I bought the Husky square case for the 455 and I've yet to see a single drop of oil inside that case. So something to be said for a "light oiler".

As I said, I never cut below 32F, I'm a wimp, so doubt I'll get any winter oil.

Thanks for the reply.

i ran alot of tanks through my 455. i ran a 18" bar and always left the oiler cranked at 3. bar oil is cheap, dont be cheap let the oil flow :) anyway cranked at 3 the saw will only use 1/2 a tank of oil to a full tank of gas. my saw was like this from day one. i complained to my dealer about it and they put in a new oiler (to make me happy), and it still used the saem amount of oil.

i will say it took me a long while to accept thats just how it is. like i said i ran the saw quite a bit, asked it to do things i should have had a 395 do, and she still ran like a champ. i never saw any adverse effects from not having enough bar oil either.

Back