Which & Why? MS260 vs 51002 vs 346XP vs NE 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose and why?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Just a little bored here. I know this has been discussed before, but I obviously have new found interest here. Please only comment on the saws you've run. Which would you buy today and why? What do you like about each? What do you dislike about each?

I vote for bang for my buck. Yeah I own a 5100 bought it new for 350. I also own a EHP346xp. Bought it used for 375. Would I pay the 475 that the ne346xp are going for.. Heck no..

346xp NE. ran one, liked it, bought one.
Mainly i wanted something for smaller firewood that was more nimble than my 029, with similar power.
and CAD, perhaps...b/c i defintely did not NEED it.

260 here. Because it's a Stihl. Dealer support and resale (LOL... as if i'd ever sell it!).

I personally like the old 346xp. It was a great limbing saw, lightweight, fast and nimble. The ne346xp is a better all arounder but feels heavier and a bit more clunky for limbing. The dolmar 5100 handles like a club but is as durable as a tire tool. The ms260 just looks good sitting on the bench.

I'm very fond of my Stihl and think the 660 is the best looking saw on the market. However, I like the look of this 346. It has some sharp lines, but overall, it's a smooth flowing one-piece look. I like the way the entire engine and carb area is exposed by popping three clips. I like the way fast idle is just that. It's a fast idle, not revving away like most of my Stihl do. I know I could probably adjust the linkage, but I'm talking about the way they come from the factory.

I like the completely hollow muffler. I just wish it wasn't brazed together.

I don't like having to partially remove the dawg as well as the bar to remove the muffler.

I like the controls, although I don't dislike the Stihls. Not sure which I prefer. The Stihl feels more solid.

I know, not one of these is a big deal. Just little differences that I have noticed. The big thing is the power. This little saw is strong as it comes.

I'm sorry Brad...

I like the ms260 pro. and the ne346xp the same....I bet alot of the Husky fans that would try a 260 pro would love it,,and as alot of the Stihl fans would love the 346xp...To me both are great saws.Very hard choice for me my friend,,so thats why I cant vote......Gotta try out the 5100 oneday...Might end up buyin one if I like em....LOL!! :cheers:

I'll take the 260, for me, it just handles better. The 346xp is an excellent saw, the only thing missing is the kickstand, every time you set it down, it falls over.

Ed

I chose the NE 346XP because I feel it's significantly stronger than the others with only a muffler mod. I did not run mine before modding the muffler. I have not run the original 346XP.

You mean stronger in the cut, if so, not the ones I got. My 5100 is a tad faster in the cut than my 346xp, not by much mind you. I ran both em 10-15 cuts each and used a stop watch and the 5100 inched away from the 346 everytime. The 346xp was new at the time and the Dolmar had alittle more run time on it. The 346xp may well catch that 5100 after break in, they are very close in power. Note too my 5100 is as out the box. My 346xp has had the muffler changed to the old type without all the restrictions. I was using these in wood much bigger than they were intended for. Both 18inch bars were buried beyond the tip and the 5100 came out the bottom first each time but they they are so close to me its not worth worrieing about. To say one is really stronger in the cut than the other is an overstatement because they are so close in power.

They are both stronger runners than my old 026 but the flip side is the 026 has provided me with about 12 years now of trouble free service and has cut lord knows how much wood. When the other two do the same I'll be as fond of them as I am my 026 now. Its gonna take alot of cutting to see if a single ring saw will outlast a two ring saw, I seriouly doult it but time will tell. I'm curious as well to see if a saw running 14,000-14,500 rpms will last like a saw running 12,500-13,000, that too I seriously doult. I'll give my results in about 12-15 years from now,LOL

I will say this about the 346xp, its a joy to use. For limbing its perfecto, small, light and easy to handle, explosive which is great for zipping limbs. Thats one area it has the 5100 beat and on par with the 026. The 026 and 346 both handle better than the 5100 but cut wise in bigger wood, not twigs, the 5100 is the 50cc to beat.

I like the controls, although I don't dislike the Stihls. Not sure which I prefer. The Stihl feels more solid.

If the controls are like the other Huskys I've handled at the stores but have never run, they are just like the Poulan I used to own. Hated them and the outboard clutch (whole other issue there).

The 5100 controls are exactly opposite of the Stihl system. Have already choked my 5100 out to turn it off on accident.

Back