Which & Why? MS260 vs 51002 vs 346XP vs NE 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose and why?

• Total voters
026/260 for me. Reliability and availability of parts. Stihl is the only saw brand here where you have a chance of buying a part locally. I'm sure the others are great too though.

I guess I would have to go for the 5100, I'm impressed with the 7900 so much the 5100 couldn't let me down. The only saw I have used on that list is the 026, so my opinion really don't count for much. I believe the bang for buck has to go Dolmar.

Wow,,,I forgot...

The outboard clutch....LOL!! I should have remembered that one...Thats the only thing to me is the big pita about my 346xp...It's not really a big deal,like the old Mcculloch setup up,,,but kinda takes more time to make sure everything is set and then tighten the chain...Cant believe I forgot that...:censored:

Thall, was yours the New Edition?

Yup, its the 346XP NE. The muffler on it is not the restricted one though, the seller included the old style at no charge, good feller that man is.

Just to clear things now don't get me wrong, I like that 346XP alot. Its a blast to use. I'm still puzzled why the 372 gets all the glory when to me that saw is another 70cc saw where as the 346xp really shines for its intended purpose, a great trim saw..

Id by the 346 the wife already has a 260 pro great little saw that she luvs. I would get the 346 as a toy modd it into a holycrap saw. Ran bookerdawgs highly modded it was a kick, I personally like the Stihl control switch better the 260 feels more solid to me.

My cat muffler was swapped out as well. I've since then opened it up. Maybe that was enough to make the difference. It often is.

Well I know you love your speed but before you go hogwild making that thing scream do yourself a favor, go limbing with it. If you like it just piddling with it wait till you take it in the woods and start trimming with it, you are really gonna enjoy it then. Its like swinging a butcher knife through limbs, great handling little saw, you will see..

Well I know you love your speed but before you go hogwild making that thing scream do yourself a favor, go limbing with it. If you like it just piddling with it wait till you take it in the woods and start trimming with it, you are really gonna enjoy it then. Its like swinging a butcher knife through limbs, great handling little saw, you will see..

I won't know until I get the unlimited coil on it, but I don't think I've added many RPMs to the saw. It still cuts best tuned right up to the edge of the limiter. It's just a lot stronger now. Great for a work saw. I'm very anxious to get out and use it to cut some firewood. I think a trip to Findlay and an afternoon or two with my BIL is in order. He's clearing out a fence row and this little saw would be great for bucking up those smaller trees.

I won't know until I get the unlimited coil on it, but I don't think I've added many RPMs to the saw. It still cuts best tuned right up to the edge of the limiter. It's just a lot stronger now. Great for a work saw. I'm very anxious to get out and use it to cut some firewood. I think a trip to Findlay and an afternoon or two with my BIL is in order. He's clearing out a fence row and this little saw would be great for bucking up those smaller trees.

Welp take it from one that knows, its a great limb saw. To be completely honest since using the 346xp I haven't used my 5100 since. That poor saw hasn't been started in ages. Its just not as much fun or as easy to use as the 346. Thats not taking anything away from the 5100, its a mean little saw but in the hand the 346 just more fun and easier to handle. That split second in power the 346 lacks compared to the 5100 is well made up in how they feel in the hand. First time you take it out to use it as a chainsaw for work, not for play, you will see what I mean,:cheers: :cheers:

I don't doubt you one little bit. The throttle response is nice, like many have reported. But nothing I've run equals the response of a 200T. It's like an electric motor with instant RPMs.

Last edited:
I will read the whole thread later but for now my vote was NE346 because I have one. :)

A 45cc 346 would be next in line though.

Kansas

I don't doubt you one little bit. The throttle response is nice, like many have reported. But nothing I've run equals the response of a 200T. It's like an electric motor with instant RPMs.

Well the 200T has always been in another world compared to those like it. Its probably the only saw made that has been at the top of its class since day one. The new J'red, Husky and top handle Dolmar, haven't heard much about them anymore have ya, 200T is still the cream of crop in top handles. I never really liked working on those little bas-tards though, touchy little saw indeed. They had some carb issues with them over the years but the saw itself, bad little dude.

I've got my little Redmax 3800 cutting significantly faster than a 200T now, but it doesn' hold a candle in throttle response. And that's with the 200T having to work with the restrictions of a horizontal cylinder design and a tiny tophandle saw.

I've got my little Redmax 3800 cutting significantly faster than a 200T now, but it doesn' hold a candle in throttle response. And that's with the 200T having to work with the restrictions of a horizontal cylinder design and a tiny tophandle saw.

Never seen one of those. Down here where I am its 99.9 Stihl. I do get some Huskies in now and then. Heck I'm the only guy around here that has a Dolmar. I got a pic on the wall of the shop showing my saws and you would be amazed how many times I've been asked what are those two black and red saws. I tellem and the reply is always the same, never heard of those.

Back