Which & Why? MS260 vs 51002 vs 346XP vs NE 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose and why?

• Total voters
I have to go with the 026/260. They are just a good saw!!!

Yup they are. I got no complaints about mine. Whenever I go do alittle tree job on the side the 026 goes in the truck. I know its gonna start and run. 12 years now and not one incident of any kind, like you say, they are just a good saw,:cheers: :cheers:

346xp

I put in a vote for the old 346XP, it's lightweight, screams (around 14,700), and it's reliable. I work the crap out of mine and it just acts like it wants more. The 20" microlite bar is great for limbing and occasionally felling and bucking. For days like today (-21 at noon), the heated handles are great! If I had to replace my 346, it would be the 346NE XPG (I like to buy my saws new).

Last edited:
Ok ,,I finally voted...

Hard choice,,but with the little ne346xp...Picture tells it all...Have so much fun with that little saw!!!!

attachment.php

Stihl 260. It's very light, has good power, and is friendly to use. That same basic saw has been around practically forever and has a very good reputation for reliability. If you would want the decompression valve you could step up to the PRO model. The other saws there aren't bad, but no one around here even carries those brands so the lack of service and support on them makes a huge difference. STIHL on the other hand has several reputable dealers near by.

I just voted for the 346ne but I have never ran one lol I have run the 026/260 and 2152/353 the 260 and 353/2152 are so close it don't matter. I did a test with my newly ported 2152 I ran the 15'' bar 3/8 chain off my 2159 on it, cut up my chopping block. An informal test but I used to be able to power it out with the 3/8 and full length bar cuts and using the dogs.
I will have a buddy time my cuts in some 10'' pine as I have recorded my times with the stock 2152 and .325 so I will see how it does modded with .325. It's now turning 13800 and still four stroking more than I like:)

026/260, stock or modded. Used the 026 last weekend; simple and quick. My #1 choice for limbing and I got several dealers that can help me out when needed. Some day I will pull the trigger on a 5100.:D

Limbing saw? What size limbs? What works for me when cutting limbs is my 401(11.5lbs). It is easier to cut the tops up with than any 50cc. saw.5100s (15.5lbs),working weight. I must emphasize that I usually cut the entire top for my neighbor (fire wood). When I am done with the tops the wood is low enough that a 24inch bar on my 7900 is about right and I don't have to bend over or lift the saw much.
Now if I was not cutting the tops for firewood but cutting for timber. One saw is all I would use, 5100 small trees,262 medium trees, and 7900 large trees.
Between 260,346,and5100. All are good. However, I can't stand the controls on a Stihl. The reason the 346 handles better is the same inboard clutch that so many scorn. I personally don't mind outboard clutch but I own the 5100. Of the saws I use the 5100 is used the least. In working weight the 401 is three pounds lighter and the 262xp is only 1.5 pounds heavier with a three inch longer bar.

Make mine a 2153 over the NE346.........The color holds up better and better handle bar design..........

Huskys look like over ripe oranges if they see alot of sun with out sun block on.....lol

260 here. Because it's a Stihl. Dealer support and resale (LOL... as if i'd ever sell it!).

Gott'a agree with that. I would also rather stick to one saw type for parts, service and lever action/oil/gas caps, etc.

Dolmar dealers here are non-esixtant, let alone 5100s saws.
Husky older 346XP is well... the older model.
New Husky 346XP might be nice, but it is spendy. Also the outboard clutch turns me off. I have always hated them on any saw I have run.

I will say this about the 346xp, its a joy to use. For limbing its perfecto, small, light and easy to handle, explosive which is great for zipping limbs. Thats one area it has the 5100 beat and on par with the 026. The 026 and 346 both handle better than the 5100 but cut wise in bigger wood, not twigs, the 5100 is the 50cc to beat.

You sure got it right my friend - the NE346xp is a bit lighter than the 5100S, handles much better in the woods, and revs up much faster.

How they compare in large wood is completely uninteresting, as other (larger) saws beat them both at that anyway.

:cheers:

You sure got it right my friend - the NE346xp is a bit lighter than the 5100S, handles much better in the woods, and revs up much faster.

How they compare in large wood is completely uninteresting, as other (larger) saws beat them both at that anyway.

:cheers:

NE346
So I take it its not the best at firewood ....Only twig cutting.......:cheers: :cheers:

We have a new Dolmar dealer in the area. Has no shop and his stock consists of a ps 401 I believe thats the number on his saw. Thats the entire stock of Dolmars he has.

Yah... of the 8 'dealers' listed in the VanPor area on the Dolly site, 4 were no longer dealing with Dolmar, 2 had zero stock and 2 had a few low end saws. :cry:

Seems typical in may reagions of the US from the FB I have had. I hear that parts are just as hard to get (tons of FB on that) and why a lot of 'dealers' drop the Dolmar line.

026/260, stock or modded. Used the 026 last weekend; simple and quick. My #1 choice for limbing and I got several dealers that can help me out when needed. Some day I will pull the trigger on a 5100.:D

I like that relic, but it really shouldn't have been an option in this poll........:givebeer:

It really was outdated in 1999, when the original 346xp appeared, if not before (Dolmar 115i).

Only good for rose bushes:)

Heck, an MS250 does rose bushes good. Cost a lot less than a 346Xp.

I got my 2nd 361 for less than a 346XP too. And maybe a third one is in the cards. I'm going to put a lightsaver attachment on it and become a Stihl Jedi Knight to defend the relm from Darth Snellerizer. I see that you flipped your avatar to sucker in would-be loyal Stihl owners to the dark Husky side.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back