How do you maintain your saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJay03

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just got my new saw and want to keep it nice. What procedures do you guys do to keep the saw in good operating condition. How often do you clean the saw? How far down do you take the saw for cleaning? I just lightly used the saw last time I had it out so I just wiped it down a bit but didnt take off the b&c. Reading in the manual it talks some about cleaning the oil and gas tanks also. Just need some tips.

Last edited:
I did that also blew it off with the blow gun and took off the air filter and made sure all was clean. How long will you leave it sit with gas in the tank also? If you use the saw say every weekend do you keep gas in it all week?

Is it that 361 in your avatar? Apparently they are so great that they take care of themselves and maintenance the other saws as well. The also cook eggs in the morning, get the paper, rotate the tires on your truck and stop the dog from peeing on your bushes......

You're on the right track. Keeping it clean is important, if nothing else showing respect for your saw.

Yes keeping the breather clean is a big one.
I might add pulling the side cover off cleaning there. Plus the bar tracks and oiler holes. If it's going to sit for long periods of time.

Last edited:
At the end of the day

If I don't know for sure when I will run the saw next, I drain fuel and idle it until it stops.

I usually pull the B/C and give them a once over. I clean out the gunk from the bar with a raker guage and use compressed air to blow off debris from the bar, clutch cover, and saw.

A touch of grease to the clutch bearing and bar nose, check air filter, put things back together and sharpen chain.

I will leave fuel in the saw if I'm going to be using it within a couple of days, but usually do the clean up anyway.

The best thing you can do for it is run Stihl Ultra mix and find prem. gas w/o achohol. Keep the mixed gas fresh. You can keep gas in it if you're running it every week or two. WDO

^ What im looking for thanks for the reply alderman. After I use it friday think ill pull the b&c and clean it up some more.

The best thing you can do for it is run Stihl Ultra mix and find prem. gas w/o achohol. Keep the mixed gas fresh. You can keep gas in it if you're running it every week or two. WDO

I got the good stihl synthetic 2 cycle oil. Im also going to get some 93 octane I have some 87 but I see stihl recommends 89 or better.

Every once in a while, say 50 tanks, wait till its empty and then fill up the oil tank half way with gas. Shake it up and dump it out. Also, check all the bolts and screws, they tend to rattle loose on new saws.

every morning i pull my chain side cover and clean it up,pull filter and blow it out,wipe saw down with wd-40, gas it, oil it, fire it ,run it 8-10 hrs,let it sleep start over again next day. i love being a logger. i dont have cad i need them saws for work . he he he

Wiping it down with wd-40 sounds like a good idea Or some kind of lube that doesnt attract much dirt.

Every once in a while, say 50 tanks, wait till its empty and then fill up the oil tank half way with gas. Shake it up and dump it out. Also, check all the bolts and screws, they tend to rattle loose on new saws.

My 5100 spark plug came loose on it's 3rd outting. Check your spark plug.

Also, check all the bolts and screws, they tend to rattle loose on new saws.

I've never seen screws come loose (at least on Stihls). I get the feeling the screws are threaded slightly different then the holes are tapped so that they always tend to be tight. Even when you loosen them, you can't remove them by hand.

However it's probablya good idea the recheck them during breakin. (especially the cylinder bolts)

If you do any stumping them you'll need to clean out the clutch area frequently. It get's pretty nasty in there.

Like people have said, air filter clean, bar groove and oil holes, under clutch cover, and keep fresh 50:1 ultra/93 and bar oil in it. I don't bother with excessive cleaning and polishing, I just do it where it counts...

If I don't know for sure when I will run the saw next, I drain fuel and idle it until it stops.

I usually pull the B/C and give them a once over. I clean out the gunk from the bar with a raker guage and use compressed air to blow off debris from the bar, clutch cover, and saw.

A touch of grease to the clutch bearing and bar nose, check air filter, put things back together and sharpen chain.

I will leave fuel in the saw if I'm going to be using it within a couple of days, but usually do the clean up anyway.
"
Alderman's RIGHT ON, I too do exactly as you do. Don't mean to be a "NANCY" with my 441 but, these saws are expensive and they'll last much longer with a little maint.Just a side note. You can also tell when someone has taken care of their saw when they go to sell it. That's the one you want to buy.I've seen saws a year old that look TRASHED and saws 20 years old that have a little wear but, look almost brand new.I always grease the roller bearing. Compressed air works great when cleaning. I don't though grease the roller tip, instead I use the "RED" hose that comes with WD-40 to lube. Why? Because #1 the hose fits perfectly in hole #2 It seems grease attracts dirt and sawdust more. I usually give a few squirts every hour or so and after the day is done. Reason I "GREASE" roller bearing instead of lube with WD-40 is it's covered and dirt more than likely will not get in there. Just my 2

Last edited:
Isnt the roller bearing kind of a pain to get too? I guess you dont grease it too often?

Back