020 Chain tension problems...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
squagg

squagg

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi there people,

I've been having a bit of trouble with my Sthile 020 lately. Before I use it I always check the chain tension but recently as the saw gets hot, from constent use like when it's being used in a conifer hedge rather than on a redeuction say, the chain starts to tighten. The first thing that I notice is it's not reving up fast enough but it gets to the point that the chain wont move at all. To day I had to have the tension adjusted twice on one job. After this when the saw had cooled the chain hung down very loose. Has any one got any idears? The sproket doesn't look that warn and it was changed at least one chain ago.

Cheers. Ben...

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
that is odd

check the oiler. maby the chain is chinese and works in reverse lol steel will shirnk in cold and expand in heat

Last edited:
2FatGuys

2FatGuys

ArboristSite Guru
Check the chain guage also. We got a few chains for one of our smaller saws from a new source. We had a similar problem. When the bar was cold, the chains seemed to move fine. As the bar heated up, it squeezed the drive links too hard. Needless to say, we felt like idiots for not double checking the chain guage prior to installing the "ready made" chain loops.

(WLL)

(WLL)

Addicted to ArboristSite
yes

Check the chain guage also. We got a few chains for one of our smaller saws from a new source. We had a similar problem. When the bar was cold, the chains seemed to move fine. As the bar heated up, it squeezed the drive links too hard. Needless to say, we felt like idiots for not double checking the chain guage prior to installing the "ready made" chain loops.
BINGO

squagg

squagg

ArboristSite Lurker
Cheers for the advice guys, don't think it's the gauge as we run the same chains and bars on the other saws . Literaly the chain goes as tight as a drum. I striped it down the other day and could see if there was anything wrong and it hasn't done it since, that said it hasn't had a long continuouse use since then either.

Did forget to mention, it did get droped out of a tree a few weeks ago and broke the handle, could a crck in the case possalble cause the problem discribed (though I can't see one)?

Nice one. Ben...

squagg

squagg

ArboristSite Lurker
Check that the bar has not been pinched or slightlt bent.

SORTED! Yup bar was bent. The clutch spring snapped too the other day but following a new set of springs, a new bar and a tune up she is now singing and a true pleasure to use again. Ahh, the sweet joys of climbing with a saw that runs properly.

Thanks for all the advice guys...

:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts