Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pea

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the word on the 025? I know it's not a pro grade like the 026. Is it a pretty good saw? I mean for the price. I use a saw a lot but don't earn my living with one.

From what I`ve seen I would have to agree with Brian. In my rather subjective opinion it is the best consumer saw that Stihl makes.

I have an 025 and have to agree it is a nice little saw. I cut firewood with it (smaller stuff) at the end of the day when my 372XP just gets heavy. When I bought it in 2002 I compared the 025 to the 026. The difference in price was over $125.00 and I could not justify the increase for a .5 hp gain. I know the 026 is a better saw, but for cutting firewood at the end of the day it works fine.

TJACK

Very good saw for the $$$!!! A lot of the landscapers around here use (and abuse) them daily and they stand up to it very well. I know of several tree Co.'s around here that use them daily and have had no problems with them. So for $275 MSRP how can you go wrong??? Just remember to ask your dealer to remove the green link safty chain and replace it with a loop of RS (yellow link) and pick up a spare loop or two, open up the muffler and you'll be VERY happy with it!!!!:angel:

I just purchased a 025 about 3 months ago....I really like it...the only problems i have had is it is hard to start,I mean real hard like 25-30 pulls....I had it adjusted once(in the colder months) by my stihl dealer then took it back again and he said not to full choke it at first in the warmer months.I've only tried it once sence and what he said was right...I half choked it and the 3rd pull it worked...so we will see...the small snap on cap is kinda a pain...but all in all...it suprises me with the power( I put a 16 in. bar on it) and cuts really well...I would highly reccomend it once the bugs are fixed...WVROOKIE

I think it is the operator ...but to my defence I havn't put 10 tankfulls of gas through it:D :D I need to run it more and get the dust outta it so many trees...so little time

ok ...be easy on me ya all.....what is wrong with the green link chain and why is the yellow one better...what is the name of it so i can ask next time i go get a new chain...thanks and be easy on me...I told you guys im a rookie

I am of the opinion that novice (we were all there once) saw users should use the safety chain. Yes, it cuts slower but I have TRIED to make kick-back and couldn't (KIDS, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME). Wear out a safety chain then you'll have enough time under your belt to try the more aggressive stuff.

I have to agree with Sedanman. I started with the green chain on a saw until I was used to it. Then after a few tanks of gas I switched to the yellow chain.

the green link does make a good "junk" chain for when you know you are going to have to cut something that will screw up your chain!!! (i.e. few logs packed with mud:( ):p but ONLY if you already had the chain (dealer wouldn't take it off new saw, someone gave it to you ect.):D :D

Back