026 Carburetor Rebuild - The Saga Continues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodeneye

Hardwood Hunter
Reaction score
Ok, rebuilt the WT-194 on my 026 today. Got it running and tuned it up nice. Went to restart it 15 minutes later and flooded it! Now I'm getting too much fuel as opposed to too little... So I'm letting her dry and gonna try again. She was running the best she had since all this crap began. Idled good and revved just right. I'm pretty sure it's my carb now that was givin me fits. I've got a new carburetor coming Thursday (dang postal service keeps tacking on days), but hopefully it will run with this rebuilt carb so I can pass that new WT-194 on to a buddy or sell it. Any thoughts?

Did you reset both high and low needles to 1 turn out? Did you check the metering lever height when you rebuilt the carb?

I'm checking the metering lever height as we speak, not sure what the tolerances are but I know it should be lower than what it is now just by looking at it. And yes, I always reset my L and H needles.

I got my gaskets right. I'm betting on the lever. Anyone know how low beyond the recess in the carb body this is supposed to be? I have a gauge on the way, but I'll have to use a feeler bent and a small ruler to "eyeball" this one.

Broke the stinking rope. I'm done til that carb comes on Thursday. Even before the rope broke it wasn't wanting to fire... Maybe I went the wrong way with the metering lever.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to the next thread.

If a saw doesn't start in 5 pulls there's generally something wrong. Either with the saw or the user. Are you sure didn't flood it on the restart?

this may be a long shot but you never know. i did some work on my uncles stihl blower/sprayer had the carb dialed in perfect ran like a champ. one cool morning they were using it on a job ran fine, shut it off went to the next one it wouldnt start. he brought it to me first thing i did was de-pressurized the gas tank and dried out the cylinder she started and ran fine after that. its happened to me as well on a couple other piece of equipment where it will draw air in no problem but wont let any pressure out so the second it go the chance it flooded the motor. now he just leaves the gas cap on very lightly and hasnt had an issue since.

again long shot but you never know

Thanks for your replies guys, it really makes me want at this saw. Rockjock, the thought of para cord crossed my mind, it really did haha! And I'll check that cap. I'm thinking I lowered that metering lever a little too far. Once I go to my stihl dealer, I'll get some line and maybe a new fuel filter too. Hopefully he'll have my impulse line in , too. If not, I guess I'll have my dad pick it up next week once he's back at work. (On vacation now - lucky dog gets five weeks: he's been with the company since he was 18.). He services the towns up north and that's where my stihl dealer is.

straightedge across the floor of the carb. the lever should just touch the bottom of the straightedge. walbro makes a cheap tool for this....comes in pretty handy.

Well, got my new carb a day early. Fixed and rewound pull rope. Slapped in new carb, no fire... Seems like I'm not getting enough fuel. Man this one stumps me. Any thoughts?

Yes, I did. But it's not even attempting to start with some mix dumped down the carb. I'm perplexed to say the least...

Latest posts

Back