026 Chain Brake "Hose"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The IPL for the 026 shows a chain brake "hose" which slips over the main chain brake spring.

1121 162 8000

I have had a couple 026 apart, and none of them had the hose. I assume it shows up on late 026?

Do people add the hose on the earlier saws?

I assume the purpose is to keep the spring from slapping the case? I have never had a 026 which showed signs of case damage...but, I do have an 038 with spring-caused case damage.

Roy

I don't know anyone that has installed or would install that sleeve if it was missing, except Guadaost, so I wouldn't worry about it.
Well... I do! The factory put it there for a reason, likely to prevent damage to the plastic cover. It will also likely stop vibration from causing wear at each end of the spring.

I once wrapped a brake spring that was missing the sleeve with a few layers of some pretty tough painter's tape. That seemed to work. Toughest thing most mechanics complain about is installing the spring. Stihl has a special tool for doing it and I made one similar in my shop:
Chain Brake SpringTool2.jpg
Note the special end that allows the spring to slip over it as it hooks on. I've never regretted making this tool.

When spring steel rubs hard against plastic, the steel will win. Ever notice how complicated the entire Stihl chain brake mechanism is compared to others being made today? I remember walking into a small engine repair shop a few years back. The most parts lying around all over the place were Stihl chain brake handles. I asked the owner about it and he said, "Yep, we have a guy employed almost full time to do nothing but repair Stihl chain brakes."

Back