026 Clutch Springs....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am finishing the details on a couple of 026s I rebuilt (all OEM of course), and they have turned out to be good running, reliable saws! 2 tanks thru each, and they are 155 and 158 psi. One idles at 3200 with the chain still, and the other moves the chain at 2500 rpm. SO, I figure the clutch springs are weak. Should I replace the springs, or get a use clutch assembly from cbailey? Opinions? Thanks.

I had the clutch off when I rebuilt the saw, and I seem to remember it looked OK.

On a worn clutch the springs will wear a groove in the spring hole making it elongated. Replacing the springs only dont always work in this situation. Best bet is to get a new clutch. Make sure to check you clutch drum bearing also.

How do you know if the chain keeps spinning if it's the carb problem or weak clutch springs?

On a worn clutch the springs will wear a groove in the spring hole making it elongated. Replacing the springs only dont always work in this situation. Best bet is to get a new clutch. Make sure to check you clutch drum bearing also.

Thanks, I will check it closely.

How do you know if the chain keeps spinning if it's the carb problem or weak clutch springs?

Idle and acceleration are fine, but the chain moves at a very low idle speed

You will rapidly develop an inordinate appreciation of everything chainsaw....... enjoy it as your saws multiply, and your wallet shrinks! :greenchainsaw:

boy aint that the truth a month ago i had no saws but had money now i have 3 saws and no money!lmao:greenchainsaw:

I have no doubt this is absolutly true and can happen, but I would try new springs first, cheap and if it dosen't fix the problem you have a spare set.

I've had to replace clutch springs on two Mac 10-10's and my Makita 6401 already so I now know they are a "wear item". New springs fixed all three saws dragging clutch problems.

P.S. both saws were used and probably abused before I got my hands on them.

Latest posts

Back