026 control lever slop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
20210204_150534.jpg

I have a red lever 026 with a sloppy control lever. All the slop is coming from the clutch-side support...not the lever itself. The problem seems to be fore-aft wear of the hole.

So, I think I need some sort of shim. Before I figure something out for myself, I thought I would ask what you guys have done.

I know this is not an unusual issue. The slop is messing with the release-from-high-idle.

Thanks for looking,

Roy

I have never done it. But first thought is
Metal weld the hole closed. Drill out a new hole. OR
JB Weld the hold closed. Drill.

Common problem with many old Stihls.

I'm interested to see what people have come up with?

If you cover up the hole and redrill, the new/repaired hole has to be same size and in same spot or you'll have problems with the choke.

I've thought of drilling the hole out and putting in a bronze bushing. You could get the bushing centered/positioned in a slightly oversize hole, the JB weld it in place.

Would be easier if there were: (1) more meat around the hole and/or (2) that plastic took to epoxy better than it probably does.

Just filling in the hole and drilling...very little surface area for the epoxy to stick to and the resulting epoxy shim would be quite thin.

Back