026-ms260-horsepower-weight

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got my older 026 Stihl and it seems to run quite well in any position will make some cuts with it later.I will be bringing to the HUSKY dealer tues on my way to work for a compression check because the seller said it had 185 and I have to find out(I also have seen a couple more 026s on flebay that state they have 185 too)Oh yeah the reason I am bringing it to HUSKY dealer is I called up Stihl dealer and they said they did the test with a tune-up and I told him I did not need a tune-up and he said well if it is 100 or under it will not run and he asked if it was running and I told him yes and he could not figure out why I wanted to do this on a running saw.Well after being on the phone for a while and trying to explain it to him something in my head clicked and I just said thank you goodbye and called up the HUSKY dealer and asked if I could get a compression check done on a Stihl even when they do not work on Stihls and he said sure just bring it in but to get back to my question I was looking at alot of 026s and ms260s and they had 3.5HP on some of the 026s and 3.2HP on some of the ms260s I was just wondering when the HP changed?:monkey:

The exhaust got more restrictive due to EPA/OSHA regs. I believe displacement got bumped up in later MS260's to compensate. You can get the original performance back in a later MS260 by drilling a couple of 3/8ths holes on either side of the existing stock hole and re-tuning the carb. Night an day difference and only takes a few minutes.

When I bought my 260 pro in 2002/2003, it was rated at 3.5 horse. Like you said, now they are rated at 3.2 . Does anyone know what year they changed to the more restrictive muffler?

I saw one 026 advertised with a weight of 10.1 Lbs.I was just wondering if anyone knew if all 026s came with a side chain adjust or what year they started?The one I got has the side adjust on it.The saw I got is not new and I was working on it in the garage today when the wife came in and said you paid how much for that, it has a few scratches and the paint is not that shiny and I said yes I did,I can sell it and buy a new one if thats what you want and told her the price of a new one and it looks like I get to keep this one.:givebeer: :popcorn:

I just got my older 026 Stihl and it seems to run quite well in any position will make some cuts with it later.I will be bringing to the HUSKY dealer tues on my way to work for a compression check because the seller said it had 185 and I have to find out(I also have seen a couple more 026s on flebay that state they have 185 too)Oh yeah the reason I am bringing it to HUSKY dealer is I called up Stihl dealer and they said they did the test with a tune-up and I told him I did not need a tune-up and he said well if it is 100 or under it will not run and he asked if it was running and I told him yes and he could not figure out why I wanted to do this on a running saw.Well after being on the phone for a while and trying to explain it to him something in my head clicked and I just said thank you goodbye and called up the HUSKY dealer and asked if I could get a compression check done on a Stihl even when they do not work on Stihls and he said sure just bring it in but to get back to my question I was looking at alot of 026s and ms260s and they had 3.5HP on some of the 026s and 3.2HP on some of the ms260s I was just wondering when the HP changed?:monkey:

For as inexpensive as they are, get your own compression tester. Then you can do your own tests on the saws you have now, and all the saws you aquire if ya hang out on this site long enough..:)

I would like to get one but it will have to wait.I have a tach I ordered from Baileys that should be here in about four weeks(it was back-ordered)if I buy anything else I think the wife will shot me:givebeer: It was hard enough to get the wife to let me get the 026 for limbing and small stuff I told her:givebeer: I could pay my brother and have him get it:clap:

Latest posts

Back