026 oiling too much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isna

Logging and sharing it (teaching)
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My father told me his 026 (1998 model with non-adjustable oiler, bought in Canada) was dripping oil when stored. I thought the oil tank vent needed cleaning. Dropped by and started by cleaning the whole saw (he's not very good at taking care of his saw), including the tank vent. Then I started the saw: it was spitting oil like hell! After 30 seconds, there was oil everywhere. Removed the bar and tried again. The oil pump was indeed spitting out tons of oil. Any Ideas about the cause. I have a used adjustable oiler somewhere in my parts pile and will try it on next time I drop by. Nevertheless, I would like to understand what's going on here...

As long as it's coming out of the correct area where the bar attaches, I don't see a problem. You could try using a heavier viscosity oil, or "summer" bar oil. It'll be thicker and slower. I prefer a lot of oilon my bar and chain. The converse is not good.

As long as it's coming out of the correct area where the bar attaches, I don't see a problem. You could try using a heavier viscosity oil, or "summer" bar oil. It'll be thicker and slower. I prefer a lot of oilon my bar and chain. The converse is not good.

In this case, the oil tank will empty well before the gas tank. Not good either...

maybe throw a 24" bar on that bad boy and take advantage of all that oil!! LOL

seriously, i have no idea why an oiler would start pumping an excessive amount of oil after 14 years. but i'm gonna stick around to find out.

In this case, the oil tank will empty well before the gas tank. Not good either...

Well OK.

The easiest thing to do that is a very simple fix is: Don't fill the fuel all the way up;)

That way it will run out of fuel before running out of oil. You could buy a lot of oil for what it would cost to redo the oiling system.

The only way I can see it "over oiling" is if the output hose is damged. The 026 non-pro puts out alot of oil and the pump runs dirtectly off the crankshaft, so it oils even at idle with the chain stopped. Running these models without accually cutting wood can make somewhat of a mess.

I have a non Pro 026 and with a 20" bar it oils just enough if not a little less than I prefer but enough for regular duties. I'm at a loss other than it has some 5w oil in it or something.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
I have a non Pro 026 and with a 20" bar it oils just enough if not a little less than I prefer but enough for regular duties. I'm at a loss other than it has some 5w oil in it or something.

Good luck with it.

If you have a 026 pro your saw should have an adjustable oiler. You should be able to look at the bottom of the case and find the oiler adjustment screw and fine tune it to your needs.

As for the OP. Sometimes the 026's do oil generously. You can check to make sure you don't have a problem with the case, in other words
is it cracked?

If you have a 026 pro your saw should have an adjustable oiler. You should be able to look at the bottom of the case and find the oiler adjustment screw and fine tune it to your needs.

As for the OP. Sometimes the 026's do oil generously. You can check to make sure you don't have a problem with the case, in other words
is it cracked?

Mine is the lower end NON Pro 026.. I thought of changing the oilers out but it was a free saw, works, I'll leave it be.

I checked what oil he was using and it's good summer chain oil. Considering it's cold these days, it should be even thicker (although once the saw is hot...). Seeing that I can't even get him to clean the air filter (!), I'm not going to tell him to always make sure the gas tank is not totally full. I know these saws oil a lot, but I've used this saw often since I got it for him in 1998. It never oiled that much. I will try to fit an adjustable oiler. I have to check if the used one I have is in good shape (and see if I have the worm gear). Otherwise, an after-market pump costs 29 Euros and the worm gear just a few Euros.
I guess it should fit on a non-pro 026?

is it cracked?

I tried without the bar and the oil is all coming from the right place. No cracks, no oil coming from elsewhere.
I know it's weird. I dropped by his place thinking it would be a quick fix. Spend 2 hours to try to understand what was going on but never could.

have you taken the oiler apart to inspect it? maybe something happened with the gears and it is now spinning faster than it should?

I removed the clutch and visually inspected the oiler. Did not take it apart. Figured I would first get more info. I guess it is spinning too fast but I just don't understand how that could be possible. It's a simple mechanical device... I must be missing something out. Hence this thread...

The only way I can see it "over oiling" is if the output hose is damged. The 026 non-pro puts out alot of oil and the pump runs dirtectly off the crankshaft, so it oils even at idle with the chain stopped. Running these models without accually cutting wood can make somewhat of a mess.

Are you sure about that?

Firstly oiling at idle would be a stupid design flaw, secondly I've had both types apart and I'm pretty sure they both use the same little arm that locates into a notch on the back edge of the clutch drum.

I will try to fit an adjustable oiler.
My understanding is you cannot put an adjustable oiler on a 026.
At minimum...there would have to be some modification done.

Never tried it personally...read about it couple years back on this forum.
If I'm mistaken...someone please correct me..and tell me how it's done..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Are you sure about that?

Firstly oiling at idle would be a stupid design flaw, secondly I've had both types apart and I'm pretty sure they both use the same little arm that locates into a notch on the back edge of the clutch drum.

I think he is right: This one does not have that "little arm" the gear just rotates when the crankshaft rotates. All of my (pro) saws have that "little arm" and I was surprised to see this one didn't.

My understanding is you cannot put an adjustable oiler on a 026.
At minimum...there would have to be some modification done.

Never tried it personally...read about it couple years back on this forum.
If I'm mistaken...someone please correct me..and tell me how it's done..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Haven't been able to try yet, but sure would like to know more. Anybody have info on this modification?

Latest posts

Back